studying for mcat before taking all of the prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2bknox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How helpful is it to not have the information from taking the prereqs to study for the mcat. I would think it would come as an advantage. Don't get me wrong in no way will I be taking the test before finishing prereqs I'm a horrible test taker, I feel I need all the time in the world, so is studying before taking the prereqs beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

How helpful is it to not have the information from taking the prereqs to study for the mcat. I would think it would come as an advantage. Don't get me wrong in no way will I be taking the test before finishing prereqs I'm a horrible test taker, I feel I need all the time in the world, so is studying before taking the prereqs beneficial?

I would say no. I'd take the prereqs before you start studying those topics. The classroom is where you actually learn the material; most MCAT study books are meant for review. If you really want to start preparing, you could go over the stuff you have already learned, but don't overdo it with the study time. This isn't something you need to study years for, a few months is ample time. When are you planning on taking the MCAT?

Never do this. Take all your pre-requisites and then plan to do a comprehensive review of everything. I mean, if you're an average person with average abilities, you really won't understand much from the study materials for the MCAT. I do encourage reviewing what you know, as suggested above...but what you don't know, you'll waste your time. Those review books are meant to fill the gaps in what you may have trouble recalling or understanding; they never fulfill completely what you should know about something. So, coming from an average person with average abilities, I suggest you don't do this. Relax now and then worry later. It's not worth stressing over the MCAT now. I did that and messed up in so many ways, which I'm not going to mention in this thread.

HOWEVER, there is one thing you could start doing...reading things you don't like! Prepare for verbal now...not the sciences. Verbal is what bugs everyone!