Study tips from july PCAT takers for future takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayr2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope everyone did good on their july PCAT!

So I just thought it would be a good idea if people who took their July PCAT and got good preliminary scores could post how they studied for each subject, what materials they used, or any other helpful tips like what topics we should focus more on. This would be very helpful for those taking the September PCAT or later.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm not sure how to study for the reading section. Does anyone have any suggestions other than Kaplans and the Pearson Practice tests?

If anyone here used the Dr.Collins quantitative section to study for the PCAT, how are the questions Dr.Collins in comparison to the actual PCAT?

"...and the rest is rust and stardust."

So for those of you who took the PCAT, what section would you say was the most difficult in terms of time constraint? I feel like chemistry would be since you only have 30 minutes to answer 48 questions and i'm sure quantitative as well. I just feel like chemistry because of all the conversion of equations, balancing the equations, and all the mathematical portions of the problems.

I'm writing mine on Tuesday but from the Pearson practice tests that I've done quant is def the hardest when it comes to time. Chem is okay, I always finish 5-10 minutes to spare but quant usually takes me 10-15 min over the time limit

So for those of you who took the PCAT, what section would you say was the most difficult in terms of time constraint? I feel like chemistry would be since you only have 30 minutes to answer 48 questions and i'm sure quantitative as well. I just feel like chemistry because of all the conversion of equations, balancing the equations, and all the mathematical portions of the problems.

Quant > Chem > Reading > verbal/bio

But that's only my personal opinion

Members don't see this ad :)

The quantitative section is where most people run out of time.

For me it was definitely quantitative ability. I still had 5 to go when there was just a minute left. I didn't have any time problems whatsoever on the other sections.

QUANT and reading very hard to manage time for me. Other sections i had plenty of time left so just review review reviewed until done.

I am very good at math, but still had to guess 4-5 questions at the end cuz of no time (got 99 though)
Maybe because i did each question twice becuase i noticed i often times make stupid mistakes.. so i basically did every question twice and saved long read problems for the end.

hi guys!

i was wondering how the july pcat writers found the essay to be? would reviewing the dr collins topics be a good idea?

Last edited:
hi guys!

i was wondering how the july pcat writers found the essay to be? would reviewing the dr collins topics be a good idea?

I really thought the July essay was a good topic this year. Of course this is my personal opinion, based on my own general knowledge. This year's essay topic involved how one would mitigate the greenhouse gas emissions of vehicles...I had happened to read an article on the very same topic in Consumer Reports a week before the exam, and I essentially was able to include a lot of examples through my essay. I haven't gotten my score back yet, but I am expecting a 5 or a 6.

I don't want to copy down verbatim what the old Pearson practice prompts were for the essay (ask around, I'm sure you can find out), but essentially they involved new 'issues' in science that balance 'devising a scientific solution' with 'the government'. (I.e. July's essay was Fixing green house gases versus how can the government minimize emissions). I think it's helpful to read up on modern issues and have a good understanding of how the government works, because every question either involves the U.S. government or the U.N.

Study up on the U.N., the FDA, and just major government groups. For me, my research on the EPA came in handy.

Good luck buddy.

I really thought the July essay was a good topic this year. Of course this is my personal opinion, based on my own general knowledge. This year's essay topic involved how one would mitigate the greenhouse gas emissions of vehicles...I had happened to read an article on the very same topic in Consumer Reports a week before the exam, and I essentially was able to include a lot of examples through my essay. I haven't gotten my score back yet, but I am expecting a 5 or a 6.

I don't want to copy down verbatim what the old Pearson practice prompts were for the essay (ask around, I'm sure you can find out), but essentially they involved new 'issues' in science that balance 'devising a scientific solution' with 'the government'. (I.e. July's essay was Fixing green house gases versus how can the government minimize emissions). I think it's helpful to read up on modern issues and have a good understanding of how the government works, because every question either involves the U.S. government or the U.N.

Study up on the U.N., the FDA, and just major government groups. For me, my research on the EPA came in handy.

Good luck buddy.
Thank you!! I have been studying a lot of Dr. Collins material for bio chem and quant and haven't gotten a chance to look much at the essay stuff!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! I have been studying a lot of Dr. Collins material for bio chem and quant and haven't gotten a chance to look much at the essay stuff!

No problem. Personally, I think you're doing the right thing anyway and focusing on biology/chemistry/quantitative ability.

I think that those 3 sections are not only the most important, but they're also the easiest to improve your scores in through studying and practice.

No problem. Personally, I think you're doing the right thing anyway and focusing on biology/chemistry/quantitative ability.

I think that those 3 sections are not only the most important, but they're also the easiest to improve your scores in through studying and practice.
I did a practice test that I bought from pearson, and I could not finish the quantitative section in 45 minutes, how hard was the quantitative section on the actual PCAT, the score reports give such broad percentiles or is it just me -_-

has anyone done the online kaplan tests? how did you guys find them with respect to the actual exam the verbal seems really tough on kaplan (i think I'm too use to the Dr. Collins Verbal packet)

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone done the online kaplan tests? how did you guys find them with respect to the actual exam the verbal seems really tough on kaplan (i think I'm too use to the Dr. Collins Verbal packet)
I am wondering the same thing. I just took a kaplan full length test and verbal I absolutely bombed. Here were my scores I got for it:

Verbal - 375
Biology - 435
Chemistry -435
Reading Comp - 400
Quantitative - 470
Composite - 423

much better than me bud...
Verbal-340
Biology-400
Chemistry-425
Reading Comp-375
Quantitative 390
Composite 386

Lets hope the actual PCAT is better than this it was completely different from the Pearson Practice test I did so i don't think I'm going to waste anymore time on this... are you studying with Dr. Collins material?

is kaplan online test reeally representative of the actual PCAT? i heard it is an awful replication.

is kaplan online test reeally representative of the actual PCAT? i heard it is an awful replication.
i heard its nothing alike....collins practice test and pearson seem to be more similar to one another

Last edited:
I did a practice test that I bought from pearson, and I could not finish the quantitative section in 45 minutes, how hard was the quantitative section on the actual PCAT, the score reports give such broad percentiles or is it just me -_-

The quantitative section from Pearson's practice test was more or less the same as it was on the PCAT in my opinion.

I think most people have trouble finishing the quantitative ability timing wise. However, you should notice that getting about 75% of the material correct in that section should land you in the 90th percentile. This is based on both my practice exam experience (via Pearson) and on my actual PCAT exam.

On my exam, I ran out of time, and guessed on the remaining 5 questions in the quantitative ability section (when I say guessed, I mean I blankly guessed, because I didn't even have time to read those questions). I ended up with a 93% on the math section. If you practice and review enough so that you can tackle a solid 80% of the questions with ease, I personally feel that you'll be sitting in the 90th percentile. Just my 2 cents.

I have taken both Kaplan practice exams and one Pearson practice, in my opinion Kaplan was definitely more difficult than Pearson and I have read on here that Pearson Practice exams are very good representation of the actual PCAT.

In regards to which practice test to take, I think no one comes close to Pearson.

In viewing Kaplan's practice exams, they are rather far off from the actual exam. If anyone has studied the Kaplan book and then attempted to complete the practice PCAT exam questions from Pearson, you'll see that Kaplan even forgets to cover certain material that is always a surefire to appear on the PCAT. On the basis of that alone, I was disheartened by Kaplan.

I think if you are studying for the PCAT you absolutely hafta buy the Pearson practice exams. And I would recommend buying all 3.

Just because I already have this information typed out, I wanted to so the correlation between the Pearson practice exam scores and my actual PCAT exam score, as further motivation for test-takers to buy Pearson's material.

Format:
Section Name:
Practice Exam #:
Actual Score on PCAT from July '14:

Verbal Ability:
Exam I: 36/40, 80%-100% range.
Exam II: 28/40, 50%-70% range.
Exam III: 34/40 80-100% range.
My actual score: 74th percentile.

Reading Comprehension:
Exam II: 33/40, 80-100% range
Exam III: 33/40, 80-100% range
My actual score: 89th percentile.

Biology:
Exam I: 31/40, 70-90% range.
Exam II: 33/40, 78-98% range.
Exam III: 28/40, 55-75% range.
My actual score: 84th percentile.

Chemistry:
Exam I: 29/40, 70-90% range.
Exam II: 34/40, 80-100% range.
Exam III: 33/40, 80-100% range.
My actual score: 89th percentile.

Quantitative Ability:
Exam I: 31/40, 80-100% range.
Exam III: 32/40, 80-100% range.
My actual score: 93rd percentile.

As you can see, any section where I was notching in the 80-100% range on the practice exams I essentially got in the 90th percentile for those sections (see: Quantitative Ability, Reading Comp., and Chemistry)

My bio scores were on the lower ends for both practice and actual exams.

I feel that my verbal score was lower than I expected based on my practice exams, but this is the only outlier.

thanks bud very insightful!! the pearson exams definitely seem helpful i completed one and have a good idea where to improve on! did you use any other studying aid (I'm sorry if you already mentioned it in the thread!)

I know the test is on the computer. I plan on skipping long wordy problems for the quantitative section to finish all the easy ones first. How does it work? I know you can flag it. And then in the end, will it just bring you back to the ones you've flagged?

My kaplan
346 verbal
415 bio
445 chem
405 reading
480 math
418 composite

380 verbal
405 bio
450 chem
400 reading
475 math
422 total

Real PCAT
36 verbal
80 bio
99 chem
99 math
26 reading
93 composite

I think range-wise it was pretty similar

My kaplan
346 verbal
415 bio
445 chem
405 reading
480 math
418 composite

380 verbal
405 bio
450 chem
400 reading
475 math
422 total

Real PCAT
36 verbal
80 bio
99 chem
99 math
26 reading
93 composite

I think range-wise it was pretty similar

Your math scores are amazing, any suggestions to success on the math? thanks

Your math scores are amazing, any suggestions to success on the math? thanks
I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but the golden rule I always follow for math is just do the quick easy equation problems first, then save the length problems for last, even if you know how to do them. By doing this you can get give or take like 25-35 of the simpler problems out of the way first then you'' have the remainder of time to work on the story problems and length problems. Also round up numbers and take fractions of some numbers when multiplying if that helps. For example, if you had a problem where you had to divide .08/.3, I usually put them into fraction forms so it becomes (8/100)*(10/3) so right of the top of your head you know the answer is 80/300, then simplify from there. I've used these strategies on a lot of practice exams and they've worked well. I just need to figure out a better approach to this annoying word problems though lol.

I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but the golden rule I always follow for math is just do the quick easy equation problems first, then save the length problems for last, even if you know how to do them. By doing this you can get give or take like 25-35 of the simpler problems out of the way first then you'' have the remainder of time to work on the story problems and length problems. Also round up numbers and take fractions of some numbers when multiplying if that helps. For example, if you had a problem where you had to divide .08/.3, I usually put them into fraction forms so it becomes (8/100)*(10/3) so right of the top of your head you know the answer is 80/300, then simplify from there. I've used these strategies on a lot of practice exams and they've worked well. I just need to figure out a better approach to this annoying word problems though lol.

Im for sure going to attack the math this way. In the past while doing practice tests and during the actual pcat I have never skipped around doing the easy ones first, I've always done each problem as they come. I think skipping around and doing the easier problems first will give you more time on the harder/lengthier problems. thank you!

Im for sure going to attack the math this way. In the past while doing practice tests and during the actual pcat I have never skipped around doing the easy ones first, I've always done each problem as they come. I think skipping around and doing the easier problems first will give you more time on the harder/lengthier problems. thank you!

definitely do as wsuwarrior said.
i personally had no problem with math and always had 10-15minutes to spare. but on actual pcat time ran out so i had to guess around 3-4.
do easy ones and short ones first save lengthy ones for last

Hi guys, I'm taking my PCAT this week.
I've been looking everywhere for Dr. Collin's study guide but I couldnt get them anywhere.
Ive heard from so many of you that his guide helps a lot and I wanted to just look over
the practice problems he gave. Is there anyway I can possibly get those problems so that I can practice?
Ive been studying with Kaplan and princeton review and princeton review practice exams
were pretty hard I thought. I'm doing OK in reading and analogies but I definitely need help in
Chemistry, Quantitative and some Biology.

Does anyone know if the Pearson's Practice Tests are up to date? (2014 computer edition)
For example:
Verbal 40 questions
Bio and Chem (8 passage questions)

Please let me know, thank you!

Does anyone know if the Pearson's Practice Tests are up to date? (2014 computer edition)
For example:
Verbal 40 questions
Bio and Chem (8 passage questions)

Please let me know, thank you!
yes they are!

mine is friday! how have you been preparing
2+ month studying. Kaplan but more Dr Collins. 3 pearsons exams and 2 kaplan exams. Just reviewing pearson exams while at work today. Its been hard being back at school now as well. How about you?

2+ month studying. Kaplan but more Dr Collins. 3 pearsons exams and 2 kaplan exams. Just reviewing pearson exams while at work today. Its been hard being back at school now as well. How about you?
i started with kaplan for bio but it felt to dense and just stuck with dr. collins for the past month and half and 3 pearson exams and barely looked at the one kaplan exam i completed because I've read it is not close to the actual exam.
ARE YOU EXCITED FOR TMW?!!! you'll finally get this out of the way!

i started with kaplan for bio but it felt to dense and just stuck with dr. collins for the past month and half and 3 pearson exams and barely looked at the one kaplan exam i completed because I've read it is not close to the actual exam.
ARE YOU EXCITED FOR TMW?!!! you'll finally get this out of the way!
NO! nervous as heck! trying to think if I should study after class tonight :confused:

my exam is today
i tried reschedling it for tomorrow; but there were no open seats.
this is my third time, so im kinda scared.

Good luck to all of you who's taking it today!
Mine is tomorrow at afternoon. Nervous as always.
I'm feeling sick I think I'm getting the flu..
I'm going to sleep early and not study much today.
I don't want to cramp all the information last day.
I know it's not going to do anything for me.. )':

Thanks for your quick response appreciate it...Did you take the PCAT already? If so how did you do?