Study PT abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunchariot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine the feasibility of going to PT school in Australia or New Zealand and returning to the US for my practice. I am currently a Post Bac student taking Pre Reqs for PT and very interested to go to school abroad.

The Pre-PT advisor at my school has never been asked this question before and could not provide an answer.

I do know that a 3rd party organization exists and they help people who have studied abroad come back and practice in the US. At the time, I cannot remember the name of this organization. Do any of you know it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you need a third party just to study abroad? If you're not sure about what you're doing, then, probably you shouldn't do it. Do you even know anyone from those countries?
I graduated abroad too, but the problem is, they will give you hard time with the application process. Example, they might require you take an English exam when you apply here in the US. Also, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated by FCCPT, or ICD, etc. So, everytime you apply, you're paying about more than $1000 to get your score transferred to the state, then, their application fee plus credentialling fees. Do you want all of the hassle? Furthermore, you're gpa might suffer abroad. They might not give As and Bs alot. Here in the US, it's standard to give As and Bs if you study well.
Right now, I'm trying to get into a post-professional dpt program just to prove that I'm good, and I don't want the hassle of paying fees all the time for credentialling. Not to mention the possible denial by the state in terms of credit units. Example is Texas; they told me that most probably they will still require me to take extra classes on top of my Bachelors. Then, have the credentialling agency confirm the classes, meaning more $$ out of pocket.
See what I'm saying?

I don't know the regulations concerning getting licensed in the US after completing your degree abroad. As an alternative though, have you considered enrolling in a US program that permits clinical placements abroad? You could get a dose of studying abroad while still being US educated and not have the hassle with licensure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know much about the regulations. However I know people from other countries that want to study here. At least from medicine I know they had to take the board after getting some classes (I don't know why exactly), and in their cases translate everything since it was all in another language (something that I had to do for college). Maybe you don't NEED a third party organization; however, callmecrazy makes a good point, you can get somewhat the same experience without all hassle. But hey if you want to do it great! I know I'll love too

I am trying to determine the feasibility of going to PT school in Australia or New Zealand and returning to the US for my practice. I am currently a Post Bac student taking Pre Reqs for PT and very interested to go to school abroad.

The Pre-PT advisor at my school has never been asked this question before and could not provide an answer.

I do know that a 3rd party organization exists and they help people who have studied abroad come back and practice in the US. At the time, I cannot remember the name of this organization. Do any of you know it?

Thanks!

If you do so it may be a bit more of a hassle. You definitely won't be the first or the last. Employing agencies help you (pay) with the process if you agree to work for them X amount of time. Although it would severely limit your choices, you may want to consider attending a foreign program that is APTA CAPTE approved. It may not be where you want but it will give you a solid and recognized (US) education outside of the states.