Study MCAT or USMLE...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umsong36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone... I have been having this dilemma lately. I thought I would be able to easily make up my mind, so I haven't shared it to anyone. It's been 3 weeks and although I have already my decision, I am still very ambivalent with my decision.

This is my dilemma... I write in all seriousness..

I haven't yet studied nor taken MCAT for three main reasons. First, I am not interested in basic sciences. Second, I feel like studying for MCAT is a waste of time. Third, I lack much confidence in writing. For this reason, I spent time thus far studying USMLE Step 1 and partly Step 2. Moreover, I thought that studying for USMLE would better prepare me to become a good doctor.

Well... as many of you would already know, AAMC decided to get rid of the writing section starting next year. So right now I am trying to decide if I should put away USMLE and spend the next 6 - 8 months studying for the new MCAT. If I write the new MCAT, I can apply to all medical schools, but I feel like I am selling myself out and wasting my valuable time which I could use instead on studying medicine. I strongly believe that studying USMLE instead of MCAT would help me to become a better doctor in the future, I could be wrong.

I can apply to only two medical schools in Canada if I choose to continue studying USMLE: McGill and Ottawa. Note that I am neither Quebec resident nor Ontario resident.

I feel like I am being stubborn and idiotic for deciding to continue studying medicine instead of MCAT. I question if I am being realistic. I ask myself if I am being arrogant. I wonder if I the admission committee would understand the choice that I made.

What are your thoughts on this? You could be as blunt as you would like, but I would like to ask for your honest opinion backed with reasons.

My cGPA is currently around 3.9/4.0, have medical research background (pharmacology), and have done a few volunteer and extracurricular activities. I would have a pharmacy degree in 2015.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Also, if I could ask you another question for medical students.. is studying with Kaplan lecture videos and notes, the First Aids, Goljan, etc. etc. sufficient to have strong understanding in medical science? I haven't looked at medical school lecture notes, nor textbooks.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
personally ive been using the ASVAB review book instead of studying for the mcat specifically.

I feel like when I take the test ill be more prepared this way.

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation some time ago, but for entirely different reasons. I was studying medicine abroad and it was either study for the USMLE Step 1 to pass it and transfer out to another school in the US for years 3 and 4 (which gave me slim odds at best) or "go back" and study for the MCAT and apply as a regular 1st year with a foreign pre-med. Note that I am an American citizen by birth, but I feel international, although I have a US undergraduate and graduate degree. I chose to go back and do the MCAT, since I felt that it gave me greater chances.
Anyway...I felt that a lot of my molecular biology, biochem, and physiology review was good for both exams, although the approach to the questions is a bit different.
From your post, I understood that McGill and Ottawa require USMLE for entrance, not the MCAT. Is this correct? Are you trying to transfer in as a third year?
Studying for the MCAT really does suck (particularly physics, for me), but it made me feel better to know that there are a lot of people studying medicine abroad who absolutely bombed the MCAT...I went to know a girl that got a 12!!! yet she scored 220+ on Step 1. Research says there is a correlation between good MCAT scores at Step 1 performance, but numbers aren't everything. I found the MCAT material and questioning style to be more brutal than my USMLE studies and practice questions, but that was me. Others may differ. Perhaps part of this is why the MCAT is changing soon....
In all, my advice for you would be to gauge what your "chances" are for both situations and while you are studying USMLE, focus on molecular biology, biochem, and physiology, as these will help you for the MCAT, if you decide to take it.

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation some time ago, but for entirely different reasons. I was studying medicine abroad and it was either study for the USMLE Step 1 to pass it and transfer out to another school in the US for years 3 and 4 (which gave me slim odds at best) or "go back" and study for the MCAT and apply as a regular 1st year with a foreign pre-med. Note that I am an American citizen by birth, but I feel international, although I have a US undergraduate and graduate degree. I chose to go back and do the MCAT, since I felt that it gave me greater chances.
Anyway...I felt that a lot of my molecular biology, biochem, and physiology review was good for both exams, although the approach to the questions is a bit different.
From your post, I understood that McGill and Ottawa require USMLE for entrance, not the MCAT. Is this correct? Are you trying to transfer in as a third year?
Studying for the MCAT really does suck (particularly physics, for me), but it made me feel better to know that there are a lot of people studying medicine abroad who absolutely bombed the MCAT...I went to know a girl that got a 12!!! yet she scored 220+ on Step 1. Research says there is a correlation between good MCAT scores at Step 1 performance, but numbers aren't everything. I found the MCAT material and questioning style to be more brutal than my USMLE studies and practice questions, but that was me. Others may differ. Perhaps part of this is why the MCAT is changing soon....
In all, my advice for you would be to gauge what your "chances" are for both situations and while you are studying USMLE, focus on molecular biology, biochem, and physiology, as these will help you for the MCAT, if you decide to take it.

Thank you for your comment. McGill University and University of Ottawa do not require USMLE. I was simply taking interest in stuying medicine before I get into medicine and I was wondering if it would enhance my chance of securing a seat if the admission commitee takes into account that I did in fact review medical school materials (up to two years). Moreover, I believed going over USMLE material would be more relevant in the long run than going over MCAT.

My thought is that you, sir, are crazy.

Are you from foreign lands?

University of Manitoba. Why is it crazy to study medicine? Are we all not interested in medical science and isn't that why we want to get into medicine?

University of Manitoba. Why is it crazy to study medicine? Are we all not interested in medical science and isn't that why we want to get into medicine?

I think you should read up on the process more.
In no way will studying for the USMLE help you with the mcat...also, no one is going to care how much you prepped for med school - they care about your mcat score and gpa exponentially more.

Just studying medicine is not enough. If you really want to impress the ADCOMs you need to pass USMLE step 1 and step 2. Then no one will be able to deny that you deserve to be in medical school. They will probably be so impressed they'll give you a full ride scholarship and name a building on campus after you. So here's to you...the future LeBron James of medicine.

Thank you for your comment. McGill University and University of Ottawa do not require USMLE. I was simply taking interest in stuying medicine before I get into medicine and I was wondering if it would enhance my chance of securing a seat if the admission commitee takes into account that I did in fact review medical school materials (up to two years). Moreover, I believed going over USMLE material would be more relevant in the long run than going over MCAT.

Ah, that makes more sense now, my friend. Ok, so in this case I think you really need to forget about USMLE stuff and really focus on your MCAT. Once you are done with it and you are really bored or something, then I guess you could go back to USMLE if that makes you happy. But, studying for USMLE for no reason when you have the pressure of scoring well on the MCAT for admission as a 1st year on your shoulders makes no sense at all. Go study for the MCAT!!! Best of luck!

To be eligible to take the USMLE Step 1, you must be in one of the following categories at the time of application and on the test day:

• a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US or Canadian medical school program leading to the MD degree that is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME),
  • a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US medical school leading to the DO degree that is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), or
  • a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a medical school outside the United States and Canada and eligible for examination by the ECFMG.

personally ive been using the ASVAB review book instead of studying for the mcat specifically.

I feel like when I take the test ill be more prepared this way.

I see what you did there.

Hello everyone... I have been having this dilemma lately. I thought I would be able to easily make up my mind, so I haven't shared it to anyone. It's been 3 weeks and although I have already my decision, I am still very ambivalent with my decision.

This is my dilemma... I write in all seriousness..

I haven't yet studied nor taken MCAT for three main reasons. First, I am not interested in basic sciences. Second, I feel like studying for MCAT is a waste of time. Third, I lack much confidence in writing. For this reason, I spent time thus far studying USMLE Step 1 and partly Step 2. Moreover, I thought that studying for USMLE would better prepare me to become a good doctor.

Well... as many of you would already know, AAMC decided to get rid of the writing section starting next year. So right now I am trying to decide if I should put away USMLE and spend the next 6 - 8 months studying for the new MCAT. If I write the new MCAT, I can apply to all medical schools, but I feel like I am selling myself out and wasting my valuable time which I could use instead on studying medicine. I strongly believe that studying USMLE instead of MCAT would help me to become a better doctor in the future, I could be wrong.

I can apply to only two medical schools in Canada if I choose to continue studying USMLE: McGill and Ottawa. Note that I am neither Quebec resident nor Ontario resident.

I feel like I am being stubborn and idiotic for deciding to continue studying medicine instead of MCAT. I question if I am being realistic. I ask myself if I am being arrogant. I wonder if I the admission committee would understand the choice that I made.

What are your thoughts on this? You could be as blunt as you would like, but I would like to ask for your honest opinion backed with reasons.

My cGPA is currently around 3.9/4.0, have medical research background (pharmacology), and have done a few volunteer and extracurricular activities. I would have a pharmacy degree in 2015.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Also, if I could ask you another question for medical students.. is studying with Kaplan lecture videos and notes, the First Aids, Goljan, etc. etc. sufficient to have strong understanding in medical science? I haven't looked at medical school lecture notes, nor textbooks.

Thank you in advance.

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

no way are you serious...

but sure you can go ahead and study the USMLE. ill one up you and waste my time studying for the boards even though i dont have a clue what im doing