This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabe_successful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First & foremost, I've been reading other individuals' posts related to my delimmas for about 3-4 years now, seeking additional consult. However, I never had the desire to post my own scenario. I recently graduated with a BA in Psychology, and my science GPA is a 2.2 while my overall is a 2.65. I'm lacking Biol II & Ochem, in terms of prereqs. I have experience shadowing an allopathic pulmonologist, PA-C, and an osteopathic physiatrist. I also challenged the NA I exam and have clinical experience as a CNA. Throughout undergrad, I faced adversity with a child support case (had to obtain 80 signatures to show proof of seeking employment since I had a hard time finding work and it isn't something easy to accomplish....it's abnormal, which drove me to challenge the CNA test & my girlfriend at that time dumped me). Also, socioeconomics negatively impacted me, because I am a first generation college graduate from a single parent home. There were times I had to get food from the Salvation Army during college. I got accepted to Charles R. Drew University of Medicine & Science Post Bacc Program; however, I only have 12k left to use at the undergraduate level, which isn't enough to cover the total cost for 1 year to finish my remaing prereqs. Do you advice me to complete them randomly at another institution within my home state, NC....potentially a community college? Ultimately, I feel my best option is to pursue a descent Caribbean medical school after making fairly good grades in my remaining classes and performing well on the MCAT. Feel free to make any suggestion....I've been working as a mental health tech the past month, making 26k and my 401k isn't matched and OT isn't paid, it's compensated with comp time (._.) I have about 50k of student loans to pay back and child support, and other stuff that comes with life, so I need to increase my income.....through education, unless I be a cop (which I don't want to do)...sucks having a BA in psyc and low GPA...I just need to know if taking the route I have planned is best, because if I get in, it'll be a fresh start and will just need to worry about doing hella great on the USMLE to match IM, beause cards is what I really want to do....thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to be a physician exactly? If it's "to increase your income," stop now.

Sounds like you have a lot of excuses. While much of what you listed are valid stumbling blocks, a physician needs to be able to perform at a high level regardless of what's going on in their life. And what do you mean by you "challenged the NA I exam?" Does that mean you failed it the first time and are hoping to retake/regrade? If so, I doubt you will be able to perform well on the MCAT. At this point it may be better to stick with your mental health tech/CNA licensing. Also, given that licensing, why haven't you been able to find work? When I had no skills I worked at McDonald's. Not fun, but it paid the bills.

Having said that, if you really, really, really are serious about going to med school there's a few things you need to do. Please note that this will be a long, difficult, expensive road.

I wouldn't recommend Caribbean schools. Most are notoriously expensive, consistently fail out large percentages of their classes, and provide little support for securing US rotations. Unless you make major changes in your life, expect to leave a Caribbean school with $200k in debt and no medical degree.

For US medical schools, you need to get your GPA above a 3.0. Post-bacs are one of the best ways to do that, though with your GPA you're probably looking at needing a 4.0 and/or several years of GPA repair. You *might* be able to get into newer MD schools with a really nice post-bac GPA, good ECs, and a great MCAT. Have you looked at DO schools? They do grade replacement, i.e. if you failed biology, then take it again and get an A, they will only use an A. However, I believe that the courses must be done at the same institution as the original one (check me on that one).

Reactions: 1 user
However, I believe that the courses must be done at the same institution as the original one (check me on that one).
The course may be repeated at any accredited school. They must have the same number of units and course description, though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to be a physician exactly? If it's "to increase your income," stop now.

Sounds like you have a lot of excuses. While much of what you listed are valid stumbling blocks, a physician needs to be able to perform at a high level regardless of what's going on in their life. And what do you mean by you "challenged the NA I exam?" Does that mean you failed it the first time and are hoping to retake/regrade? If so, I doubt you will be able to perform well on the MCAT. At this point it may be better to stick with your mental health tech/CNA licensing. Also, given that licensing, why haven't you been able to find work? When I had no skills I worked at McDonald's. Not fun, but it paid the bills.

Having said that, if you really, really, really are serious about going to med school there's a few things you need to do. Please note that this will be a long, difficult, expensive road.

I wouldn't recommend Caribbean schools. Most are notoriously expensive, consistently fail out large percentages of their classes, and provide little support for securing US rotations. Unless you make major changes in your life, expect to leave a Caribbean school with $200k in debt and no medical degree.

For US medical schools, you need to get your GPA above a 3.0. Post-bacs are one of the best ways to do that, though with your GPA you're probably looking at needing a 4.0 and/or several years of GPA repair. You *might* be able to get into newer MD schools with a really nice post-bac GPA, good ECs, and a great MCAT. Have you looked at DO schools? They do grade replacement, i.e. if you failed biology, then take it again and get an A, they will only use an A. However, I believe that the courses must be done at the same institution as the original one (check me on that one).

No, I don't want to be a physician to increase my income. I know there's plenty of other alternatives. I indicated why I want to be a physician in my personal statement to the post bacc program I got accepted to. It was a good enough reason for them to give me a shot at their post bacc program and their minimum GPA requirement being a 3.0, because the same question was asked. I practically used my negative experiences as a strength, because I still managed to graduate in spite of those trials and hindering circumstances and showed how that experience allows me to relate the population most physicians don't want to treat; i.e., regions of the US where the deficit is. It's not an excuse, it's life. It would be an excuse if I dropped out like I wanted to do numerous times and decided not to pursue medicine anymore because of my numbers and critics. People with black and white perspectives often deem such experiences as excuses, because they don't know how to place themselves in that same situation. If anything, I know how to cope with very unfortunate circumstances and persevere.

It's no longer allowed anymore, but I challenged the NA I exam, as in I self studied for the state examination without going through a class and clinicals. I studied for the written test with study materials, and I passed the clinical skills aspect step by step by remembering them and having watched YouTube videos of how each step should be completed to insure I didn't miss anything petty. My shadowing experience complimented my application to land CNA jobs. The PA taught me some basic clinical tasks, especially listening to abnormalities of the heart.

It's easy to say, "Hey, go do a post bacc and DO will offer grade replacement to raise your science GPA." What do you do when your credit isn't good enough to get private educational loans since your federal student loans are practically used up at the undergraduate level, you have no family to cosign for you to get such loans in order to cover the costs? I could work a dead end job and post pone my goals until my credit is descent enough, but derogatory marks don't disappear on your credit report until about 7 years later. What if I do happen to get into a Caribbean school that's approved for US federal loans and happen to match? That debt can be eradicated after 10 years of service to specified areas in the US while making consecutive payments. Then again, that is if I manage to have the total cost of attendance handled by federal funds.

I also have EC's, mostly community service with a community drum line and being the community service chair of the Minority Association of Premedical Students. I don't have much time to do free work, working 16 shifts sometimes and being in school. I'm not happy cleaning poop after giving solutions of saline, mineral oil, and glycerol via rectal anymore...it's depressing, especially when colleagues & friends stop associating with you because of the kind of work they're doing, making 90k as a computer engineer with the govt and and working in sales with AT&T, making six figures. It's the basic social exchange theory....I was suicidal in college, but not anymore. I'm just not happy unless my ambitions are met. I rely heavily on faith, and statistically speaking, I thought this was more attainable than becoming a celebrity. It's seeming not so if your socioeconomic background isn't traditional or you have a support system to help with setbacks.

Last edited:
Ask for a LOA from the program, get a job and work and save.

Then go do your post-bac.

This is a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, by the time you apply, at least ten more will have opened their doors!

Don't even think about Carib diploma mills unless you like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed. They prey upon desperate marks like you.

First & foremost, I've been reading other individuals' posts related to my delimmas for about 3-4 years now, seeking additional consult. However, I never had the desire to post my own scenario. I recently graduated with a BA in Psychology, and my science GPA is a 2.2 while my overall is a 2.65. I'm lacking Biol II & Ochem, in terms of prereqs. I have experience shadowing an allopathic pulmonologist, PA-C, and an osteopathic physiatrist. I also challenged the NA I exam and have clinical experience as a CNA. Throughout undergrad, I faced adversity with a child support case (had to obtain 80 signatures to show proof of seeking employment since I had a hard time finding work and it isn't something easy to accomplish....it's abnormal, which drove me to challenge the CNA test & my girlfriend at that time dumped me). Also, socioeconomics negatively impacted me, because I am a first generation college graduate from a single parent home. There were times I had to get food from the Salvation Army during college. I got accepted to Charles R. Drew University of Medicine & Science Post Bacc Program; however, I only have 12k left to use at the undergraduate level, which isn't enough to cover the total cost for 1 year to finish my remaing prereqs. Do you advice me to complete them randomly at another institution within my home state, NC....potentially a community college? Ultimately, I feel my best option is to pursue a descent Caribbean medical school after making fairly good grades in my remaining classes and performing well on the MCAT. Feel free to make any suggestion....I've been working as a mental health tech the past month, making 26k and my 401k isn't matched and OT isn't paid, it's compensated with comp time (._.) I have about 50k of student loans to pay back and child support, and other stuff that comes with life, so I need to increase my income.....through education, unless I be a cop (which I don't want to do)...sucks having a BA in psyc and low GPA...I just need to know if taking the route I have planned is best, because if I get in, it'll be a fresh start and will just need to worry about doing hella great on the USMLE to match IM, beause cards is what I really want to do....thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 users
you said you've been here 3-4 years, so why bring up Caribbean med schools? You know that nobody on this site will EVER recommend them.

Ask for a LOA from the program, get a job and work and save.

Then go do your post-bac.

This is a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, by the time you apply, at least ten more will have opened their doors!

Don't even think about Carib diploma mills unless you like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed. They prey upon desperate marks like you.

I already differed my enrollment there. I'd have to reapply to do something as such. I'll figure something out, thanks...I just know if I do work to save, I can't do so in my hometown anymore. It's not the place to get ahead in life...it's where you retire.

I've actually read a few suggestions for them because of people's circumstance.
Circumstances I've heard on here: They have great connections and can definitely land a US residency, they want to become a doctor just cause, they have unlimited income and love wasting money

I've actually read a few suggestions for them because of people's circumstance.
You're a student with a proven track record of subpar performance. No one who cares about you will suggest carribean for you. The odds are you would go and fail out with even more debt.

If you want to prove you are capable you need to do the hard work. Stop doing poorly in classes by getting actual A's in your classes. Whether you need life counseling or academic, get it. Finish the degree with all the "A's" you can get. When you run out of money (before or after the degree) you switch to a state school and cash flow a few courses whenever you can afford them and slowly work through retakes until a DO school or a postbac will take you. This isn't rocket science but it will be hard...make sure you want this before going down this road, there is no shame in deciding it's not worth it

Circumstances I've heard on here: They have great connections and can definitely land a US residency, they want to become a doctor just cause, they have unlimited income and love wasting money

I agree....I was considering it because it's a better option to me than getting a PsyD at a professional school (where I have a likelihood of acceptance) and acquiring about the same debt, but the income being not as rewarding as MD. I'll make something work...thanks

You're a student with a proven track record of subpar performance. No one who cares about you will suggest carribean for you. The odds are you would go and fail out with even more debt.

If you want to prove you are capable you need to do the hard work. Stop doing poorly in classes by getting actual A's in your classes. Whether you need life counseling or academic, get it. Finish the degree with all the "A's" you can get. When you run out of money (before or after the degree) you switch to a state school and cash flow a few courses whenever you can afford them and slowly work through retakes until a DO school or a postbac will take you. This isn't rocket science but it will be hard...make sure you want this before going down this road, there is no shame in deciding it's not worth it

I already graduated college.....& got accepted to a post bacc program to do that...I just don't have the means to pay for it bc of credit issues...no support. I'll make something work though, probably move up north & work. Thanks.

You can do a DIY post-bacc at a cheaper state school, you don't have to go to an expensive private one.

The important thing is to do well in the post bacc classes, whenever you take them.

And I would suggest that you work and save, as mentioned previously. You may want to rush ahead and get it done, but does that demonstrate patience, wisdom, and maturity on your part? Are you addressing the things that made earning good grades challenging in the first place?

Without that, you're going to repeat history. I realize you've had some personal challenges that contributed to poorer performance. But look at it from the perspective of potential ad-coms. There are a lot of students that have worked through hell, still did well, or pulled themselves out of a pattern of sub-par performance to excel.

And address your credit issues, gradplus loans in med school DO depend on certain credit criteria.