Student needing help on Psych Residency info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scione

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a 4th year DO student and need some help please.

There are not many DO Psych residencies, BUT does anyone have any input whatsoever on any of them?? It is much appreciated

Also, if I were to apply to an ACGME, would I need to do a traditional rotating internship first? And if so, do I apply to both at the same time?

Thank you guys for any incoming info! :)

Members don't see this ad.

There are not many DO Psych residencies, BUT does anyone have any input whatsoever on any of them?? It is much appreciated

Also, if I were to apply to an ACGME, would I need to do a traditional rotating internship first? And if so, do I apply to both at the same time?

ACGME approved psych training programs do not require a traditional rotating internship and most people enter them as an intern. You are required to do 4 months of internal medicine in your first year and this must be in an ACGME-approved (not AOA approved) program.

ACGME approved psych training programs do not require a traditional rotating internship and most people enter them as an intern. You are required to do 4 months of internal medicine in your first year and this must be in an ACGME-approved (not AOA approved) program.

you are required to do 4 months of primary care.(IM electives and EM can count towards this as well if the program allows)

Some programs do require 4 months of inpatient IM, but many have a setup of something like 2 months inpatient IM, 1 month outpatient clinic, 1 months peds(or EM or family or whatever)........

Some programs have just 1 month inpatient IM. Some have 4. A few programs even go over the 6 required "off service months" and have something like 4 months inpatient IM, 2 months neurology, and then 2 more months of stuff like EM or peds or clinic or whatever......

there is a lot of variation in the required 6 months off service from program to program

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct, psychotrope. I should have been more precise in my wording about internal medicine but was focusing on other aspects of my response. ACGME requires 4 months on primary care in the 1st year of training. The training needs to to be comprehensive and continuous in specialties such as internal medicine, family medicine and pediatrics. Only one month of either EM or ICU may be counted.

Actually, this depends. The OK state board, for reasons known only to them and God, require the DO residents to do a more traditional intern year. At our program, they do NOT have to apply separately for it, they just follow a different schedule from the MDs, i.e. more OB and surgery for them.