Struggle to Match??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carve em up

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my USMLE Step 1 score back. . . . 220. . . . what fields do you you guys feel I would most struggle to match into??

Members don't see this ad.

Why the sad face?? Your score was 5-7 above the mean. When you started medical school did you ever think you would be better than 50-60% of the country. Your score does not exclude ANY field at this point. Keep up the good work!!

why the obsession with step1 scores??? :confused:
there are many other more important factors in residency applications-
grades, letters of rec, dean's letter, etc., etc...

220? WTF????????

So you didn't get the top score in the country. Big Deal. There is more to medicine (and life) than a stupid step 1 score.

Geeseh.

carve em up said:
Just got my USMLE Step 1 score back. . . . 220. . . . what fields do you you guys feel I would most struggle to match into??

The ones that require confidence and insight.

carve em up said:

You have to realize that you did better then well over half the people here, therefore when you put up this post acting depressed you're going to offend a lot of people. That said, 220 will make it a challenge to match into the most competitive specialities like derm, ortho, urology, ent, etc. Your score isn't low enough to actually eliminate you from those fields, if you want to go for one you can. You'll just have to make your application shine by doing well in other areas (honoring clinical rotations, research). You should do fine shooting for any non uber competitive specialty though.

Someone at my school matched into ortho and had a Step 1 score below the mean. He said it was because he did a rotation there and got along pretty well with the ortho people. It CAN be done. Good luck.

What was the mean for step 1 this year?

221 with a SD of 17

minor point, but on mine and everyone that i know is 221 w/ SD = 21.

once you get up there, i guess it probably doesn't make much of a difference anymore...