Stressed out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedsoul

Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to DPT programs and I am starting to feel extremely discouraged about my stats.

I graduated with my bachelor's of science from SUNY Albany in May of 2019. I majored in Human Biology and have a minor in Psychology so this covers all my prereq classes. I managed to graduate with honors and a 3.46 GPA. Although that is great I feel like I am lacking in other areas that could help my chances of getting accepted. I was working all through my college years because I didn't receive enough financial aid to cover all of the expenses. So in terms of extracurricular activities, I basically have none. I'm also struggling to even get a letter of rec because I was working overnights most of the time so I never really got to know any of my professors on a deeper level since I would go home and catch up on sleep to later wake up and do my work. That was my routine.

As for the the GRE's I am set to take it November 1st and I am honestly worried that I won't do well whatsoever! I am horrible at math and yes I have been practicing but I can't help but worry.

I have 80 hours of observation both inpatient and outpatient. I am applying to 11 schools, two of which don't require the GRE. I also plan on doing more observation but the deadline for three of those 11 schools is November 15th. And seeing as I want to use the fee assistance waiver I have to apply to all the schools at once and then add on more hours later. I am also currently working as a PT aide.

University of South Florida (doesn't have an average requirement for GRE scores yet)
University of Scranton (No GRE)
New York University (doesn't have an average requirement for GRE scores yet)
Nova Southeastern University
The Sage Colleges (doesn't have an average requirement for GRE scores yet)
Mercy College (3.0 Writing)
New York Medical College (150 verbal, 150 quantitative and 4.0 Writing)
Long Island University (140 verbal, 140 quantitative)
Touro College (150 verbal, 150 quantitative)
Utica College (No GRE)
Marist College (3.5 writing section)

If you guys have any advice on what I can do to improve my odds I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have much extracurriculars either because I have to work, but my job is also related to physical therapy in a way since I'm a personal trainer, so I don't have to flex and stretch to show how my job will help me as a PT. I was also an aide in the past. If any of your unis require resumes, you'll have to find stuff in your job, no matter what job that is even if you're a server, that will show how said job will help you as a PT. Hint: communication is one of those things, and most jobs require some form of communication and interacting with people of different backgrounds.

Also, don't freak with the GRE. As long as you meet the minimum score, you're fine. Your GPA is fine, especially if it meets that uni's average accepted GPA. If you can, maybe get some hours in one more setting, like a sub-acute/SNF where you don't need that many hours because you're glued to one PT the whole time. And since you're an aide you have way more than 80 hours, as those hours count. You can get letters from the PT's you work under.

Most schools only ask for one letter of rec from a professor, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just approach one of your professors and ask them for a LOR. It might be beneficial to ask a lab professor since you tend to work closer with lab profs than lecture profs (at least that has been my experience). Often times, they ask you to give them your personal statement and resume. Sometimes, they may even ask to sit down with you and ask you questions. As for observation hours, you will get a lot more since you're a PT aide. Don't stress too much about the GRE. I was in the 37th percentile for the verbal section (I'm way better with math and essay writing), and I still got interviews and an acceptance. Overall, your application seems fine. Don't stress too much and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the process of applying to DPT programs and I am starting to feel extremely discouraged about my stats.

I graduated with my bachelor's of science from SUNY Albany in May of 2019. I majored in Human Biology and have a minor in Psychology so this covers all my prereq classes. I managed to graduate with honors and a 3.46 GPA. Although that is great I feel like I am lacking in other areas that could help my chances of getting accepted. I was working all through my college years because I didn't receive enough financial aid to cover all of the expenses. So in terms of extracurricular activities, I basically have none. I'm also struggling to even get a letter of rec because I was working overnights most of the time so I never really got to know any of my professors on a deeper level since I would go home and catch up on sleep to later wake up and do my work. That was my routine.

As for the the GRE's I am set to take it November 1st and I am honestly worried that I won't do well whatsoever! I am horrible at math and yes I have been practicing but I can't help but worry.

I have 80 hours of observation both inpatient and outpatient. I am applying to 11 schools, two of which don't require the GRE. I also plan on doing more observation but the deadline for three of those 11 schools is November 15th. And seeing as I want to use the fee assistance waiver I have to apply to all the schools at once and then add on more hours later. I am also currently working as a PT aide.

University of South Florida (doesn't have an average requirement for GRE scores yet)
Utica College (No GRE)

If you guys have any advice on what I can do to improve my odds I would really appreciate it.
My overall ptcas gpa is 3.34, my gre scores were 146V, 152Q and 4.0AW, and I got an acceptance letter from Nova Southeastern today. You’ll be fine.

Most schools only ask for one letter of rec from a professor, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just approach one of your professors and ask them for a LOR. It might be beneficial to ask a lab professor since you tend to work closer with lab profs than lecture profs (at least that has been my experience). Often times, they ask you to give them your personal statement and resume. Sometimes, they may even ask to sit down with you and ask you questions. As for observation hours, you will get a lot more since you're a PT aide. Don't stress too much about the GRE. I was in the 37th percentile for the verbal section (I'm way better with math and essay writing), and I still got interviews and an acceptance. Overall, your application seems fine. Don't stress too much and good luck!
Thank you!

Utica College (No GRE)

I'm finishing up my second year at Marist (your last school listed) so I can speak of my program - unless they recently changed something, they only looked at the writing section of the GREs (which you have noted). This was a major bonus for me, as Marist was the only school I was applying to so it greatly relieved my anxiety about taking the GREs. They only require 80 hours of observation and don't care if you've done more than that. They are more interested in if you have seen a variety of practice settings, but again, not a deal-breaker. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have more, but it is not a deal-breaker. If you land an interview, you can explain the rest and they will be completely fine with it. I was in the same boat, worked through school so lots of work experience but no extracurriculars and during the interview I explained all of that as strengths (my ability to multitask or some such thing).
You may be able to grab a LOR from a prof who gave you a good grade. And tell them "I know you don't know me very well but this is my situation and was wondering if you could at least write a LOR basically stating that I was responsible and did well in class" or whatever. It is not the strongest letter imaginable but it is something. And supplement that with a LOR from your boss perhaps, if you want.
I hope that somewhat helps!

I'm finishing up my second year at Marist (your last school listed) so I can speak of my program - unless they recently changed something, they only looked at the writing section of the GREs (which you have noted). This was a major bonus for me, as Marist was the only school I was applying to so it greatly relieved my anxiety about taking the GREs. They only require 80 hours of observation and don't care if you've done more than that. They are more interested in if you have seen a variety of practice settings, but again, not a deal-breaker. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have more, but it is not a deal-breaker. If you land an interview, you can explain the rest and they will be completely fine with it. I was in the same boat, worked through school so lots of work experience but no extracurriculars and during the interview I explained all of that as strengths (my ability to multitask or some such thing).
You may be able to grab a LOR from a prof who gave you a good grade. And tell them "I know you don't know me very well but this is my situation and was wondering if you could at least write a LOR basically stating that I was responsible and did well in class" or whatever. It is not the strongest letter imaginable but it is something. And supplement that with a LOR from your boss perhaps, if you want.
I hope that somewhat helps!
This honestly helps a lot! I've been getting so discouraged especially since I don't have a back up plan if non of this pans out... But thank you for the advice!

Your GPA is ok, no problem there.
Extra curriculum is not that important. I had none and got accepted.
I did not get to know any professors either. They know enough from classes you took to recommend or not recommend you.
For GRE, all you can do is practicing, improving your time management, and learning some guessing strategies. Did you try practice tests? (they are free) For me, practicing scores were about 3-5 points higher than the real GRE, but I could see my progress at least.
Observation hours in in-patient and outpatient are good. Make sure your number of hours matches the minimum schools requirements. You do not need to go much beyond those minimal requirements.
I do not think you need to improve anything at this point. Just practice more with GRE.
Good luck!