Stress!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlm013085

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to make a rank list (5 interviews left) but way too many factors involved. Want a good education but the quality of life especially cost of living for my family is important as well. I feel like I would be sacrificing one for the other. Also, I have gotten the good "gut feeling" at schools that are lesser known but worried about how that would affect fellowship chances. The more well known schools were good but did not get a gut feeling about them. Anyone with words of advice

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is important to trust your gut to a certain degree. Also of the lesser known places, look at their fellowship matches, especially in some of the more competitive ones like Allergy, Cardio, etc. or in the one that you're set on if you know. I really do believe that there is some real value in trusting your gut.

Reactions: 1 users
How much can we learn about the residents and the program during one day interviews though? I mean, if I just went with my first impressions all the time, I would've missed out on some of my best friends. People present themselves differently on different days, and our feelings of programs differ depending on our mood.

Co-resident personalities and personal fit are important to me, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out a place if I didn't fall in love with everybody during my visit -- especially if other things about the program fall nicely into place. I think there is some value to considering some of the more objective factors and reputation for fellowship match, especially if training at top places with some of the more renowned people is important to you.

Fit is important, but my initial gut feelings have frequently been wrong. You could always go for second looks, reach out to former graduates from your medical school, and talk to your advisors for more exposure and different opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree with the OP and Hurryupnwait. There are so many variables to consider, and beyond that it's difficult to resign common sense in favor of a 7-hour interview day where everyone is doing their best to impress you.

I am fortunate to know that I will be happy at many programs, but I'm still struggling tremendously ranking the top half of my list.

My situation is different because I have a wife and two children so I am considering staying where I am even though the program is intense and residents feel overwhelmed at times. I need to also think about what's good for my family as well

overall I would be lucky to be at any of my top choices, literally!

Just don't rank anywhere you can't see yourself living and you will be fine with your rank list. There will be light at the end of the tunnel, even as an intern!

In terms of applying to fellowship, the individual is more important than the program. I would much rather be at a program that may be lesser known but be happy and is a better fit than go to a name program and be miserable throughout just in hopes of getting into fellowship.

I didn't have kids until half-way through residency but uprooted my family twice to do a fellowship and a senior fellowship in different states. Yes it was tough and my family made sacrifices at the time, but it's paying off now.