Stressing about ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med0811

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a bunch of away rotations and haven't gotten a letter from either of them. Not to try and make excuses, but I really felt that both places had the rotation set up in a way where I couldn't make an impression or get close to any of the faculty. I've basically been shadowing for two months straight. Despite that, I liked the programs themselves and am still very interested in them for residency. What do I do with away rotations and no letters from them??

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is there a program coordinator who might be able to write a letter? One who might be in contact with several attendings/residents who were with you. It might not be the best letter ever, but you might be able to use it at the specific program.
2. Maybe if you haven't heard post-MSPE, you can email the program and add that you were impressed with your time rotating there. I'm sure someone had to grade you and perhaps that will be on file. Actually, ask the person in charge of evaluating you for a letter.

Isn't it too late for letters now?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it is not too late for letters if you fall into one of two situations:

1.) If you have yet to submit your applications for residency, then you are still free to ask for letters of recommendation. Obviously, this situation is not ideal, but it is plausible.
2.) If you asked for a letter of recommendation from a faculty member, had it finalized on ERAS for submission, but have yet to have that letter sent to your medical school, then you are free to remind/ask for your letters of recommendation.

The second situation is one that I find myself in currently. While three of my LoR's are currently uploaded, my fourth has not been. Apparently the letter writer forgot to add "This person waived their rights to view this" in the body of the letter and my school felt it was unacceptable for submission. I have since sent him multiple emails, but with no success. Fortunately for me, I am going back to that hospital in two weeks, so hopefully I can ask him face-to-face.

TL;DR: It isn't too late, depending on your circumstance.

Did you set up a meeting with the program directors of the programs you rotated at while you were there? Did you get close to any residents or fellows? Asking them to put in a good work can do wonders as well.