Strange or explainable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paseo Del Norte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about a week and a half off before hitting it hard and heavy for summer session and fall semester. Thought I would present more of a "could it really happen" scenario. Hope you all enjoy.

You are dispatched to the scene of a motorcycle accident...

Members don't see this ad.

He he, yeah a bread and butter call so to speak. Let me give the case. Sorry, I was putting it all together last night and had to actually do some work. Funny how these EMS type jobs work.

Here you go:

You arrive on scene and police have secured it. They report that a male patient attempted to evade police during a routine speeding stop and the chase ended when the patient ran head on into a side rail on the interstate travelling at a "high" rate of speed.

Your general impression:

You find a prone and unresponsive male of about 30 years lying in the dirt approximately 20 feet from where his motorcycle hit the guard rail. He is not wearing a helmet and it looks like he took an up and over ejection pattern. The rather obvious mid femur deformities also suggest an up and over over ejection.

Upon initial contact, you log roll the patient supine with spinal precautions and continue to note unresponsiveness. The patient is breathing shallow and irregular, a rapid, thready radial pulse is noted, and a 5 cm profusely bleeding laceration is noted to the left temporal area of the cranium. The patient is essentially covered in abrasions, has a left sided neck haematoma with slight tracheal deviation and appears cyanotic. The rest of the rapid trauma survey is essentially unremarkable.

You manage him initially as a crash airway and are able to successfully utilise adjuncts and good bag mask technique. The cyanosis resolves and you have good compliance with the bag. Direct pressure controls the bleeding from the head laceration.

VS: P-120, BP- 92/50, SPO2-100%, Temp- 35 Celsius. BGL= 128 mg/dl.

You opt to intubate the patient and easily pass a 7.5 ETT and note a Cormack and Lehane grade I view upon passing the tube. Placement is verified with sounds, chest rise and fall, lack of epigastric sounds and waveform capnography with a good plateau shaped waveform. The depth of insertion is appropriate for the tube and patient size.

However, you notice asymmetrical chest expansion. You notice that the right chest wall begins to expand first, followed shortly by left chest wall expansion. The lung sounds are clear and good compliance with bagging is noted.

What could be going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll take the first crack at this!

I'm inclined to think that this patient is suffering from a flail chest where each lung may require drastically different pressures and flows to adequately ventilate. What's his ETCO2? To which side is the trachea deviating? I might consider decompressing the chest, but if his SP02 is decent and I am able to titrate his ventilations to an acceptable ETCO2, there are probably more important things to manage.

I'll take the first crack at this!

I'm inclined to think that this patient is suffering from a flail chest where each lung may require drastically different pressures and flows to adequately ventilate. What's his ETCO2? To which side is the trachea deviating? I might consider decompressing the chest, but if his SP02 is decent and I am able to titrate his ventilations to an acceptable ETCO2, there are probably more important things to manage.

EtCO2 is 35-40, SPO2 is 100%, left sided haematoma with tracheal deviation to the right, chest wall feels intact. You are correct that there exist other potential life threats and this situation may not be critical, but the physiology is interesting.

I thought Malkboy had a pretty good idea. I was thinking it's either that or a tension pneumo with such a large pulmonary defect (say from barotrauma) that it caused the differential chest rise. Given that it's not that and that there's a hematoma on the neck I'll guess something vascular. How about a partially transected aorta that resulted in a dissection going up the carotid causing the hematoma and impinging on the left mainstem bronchus causing the observed chest rise?

I went throug a list of differentials upon working through this as an in class problem:

Right main stem intubation
Tracheal Transection
Flail Chest
Pneumo/Haemo

The most likely cause was somewhat of a zebra and actually related to a physical principle of gas (fluid) flow. I am aware of at least one case in the literature; however, I thought adapting the scenario to fit into an EMS situationwould make a good case study.

Is it possible that the nature of the patients impact (high speed-->flat on the ground) caused a thoracic aortic aneurysm? Could this also lead to an impingement on the left main bronchus - similar to what docB suggested?

Is it possible that the nature of the patients impact (high speed-->flat on the ground) caused a thoracic aortic aneurysm? Could this also lead to an impingement on the left main bronchus - similar to what docB suggested?

Absolutely possible. However, assume there is no thoracic trauma, just the tracheal deviation caused by the haematoma. Assume bot the right and left main stem are not compromised.

Did the head injury F up the respiratory center in brain stem?

Did the head injury F up the respiratory center in brain stem?

Perhaps, but you note the movement when you bag the patient. It is not totally asymmetrical in that only one side rises, the right side starts to rise first, followed by rise of the left side. A single lumen tube is in place.

Think more about physics and about how a fluid can act. Could the tracheal deviation and possible deviation of the ETT to one side create a situation where such findings could occur?

I would guess it has something to do with laminar flow in a tube. The ETT deviated to the right with a straighter right main stem bronchus would be the path of least resistance. The right lung would fill until the pressure increased enough to overcome the resistance created by the right angle into the left mainstem bronchus. But that's just a guess.

I would guess it has something to do with laminar flow in a tube. The ETT deviated to the right with a straighter right main stem bronchus would be the path of least resistance. The right lung would fill until the pressure increased enough to overcome the resistance created by the right angle into the left mainstem bronchus. But that's just a guess.

Pretty close. I was going down the path of the Coanda effect. For those who do not know, the Coanda effect is essentially a way of describing how a fluid can have a tendency to attach to a surface and follow the said surface. I use the term fluid to describe both liquid and gas flow as both have fluid like characteristics.

You may remember doing an exercise in grade school where you put a can of soup in front of a candle. You blow on the other side of the can, and magically the candle is blow out in spite of the can being in the way.

Below, is an example of my wonderful artwork for all you visual people. ( an art major I am not ):

SCAN0016.jpg

In the actual case, asymmetrical movement was noted following uneventful intubation in an elective surgical procedure. The typical methods such as pulling the tube back were attempted without success. The physician eventually rotated the tube 90 degrees and was able to correct the problem.

Link to the case: http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/100/6/859

Yeah I'm still over there, usually reading more than writing these days....