StraighterLine for dental school credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bentonsheets

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short: I graduated from College but have a D in physics 1 and I need to retake it. Does anyone know if Straighterline physics course would be acceptable for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly is not.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It certainly is not.
Where did you find out that it was not? I talked to one dental school and they said it was, but I am trying to determine if it is that way for all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you find out that it was not? I talked to one dental school and they said it was, but I am trying to determine if it is that way for all of them.
Email all the ones you want to apply to

Are you applying this cycle or planning to in the future?

I would see if you could take it online at some school. I remember some of my classmates hadn't taken anatomy and they took it online at UNE the summer before starting dental school.

I also recommend that you email all other schools you will be applying to.
But a 4-year university credit would look much better IMO, especially because Physics is a required course for most, if not all, DS :)

TL;DR Straighterline is not accredited. Some institutions MIGHT accept some courses for transfer credit. Check with each dental school since it almost certainly doesn't have widespread acceptance. AADSAS only shows schools where you originally took a course not where you transfer credit to. +1 for UNE.

---

You DO NOT get any real college credit from Straighterline. You can transfer the coursework to select institutions. But here is the issue. AADSAS requires transcripts from your original institution that you took a course NOT where you transferred the coursework to. AADSAS will show dental schools that you retook physics from Straighterline. The problem is that Straighterline itself is not accredited. Maybe some dental schools might accept it if their undergraduate departments accept it as transfer credit but I wouldn't bet on it.

"However StraighterLine itself is not accredited, because accreditors will not review individual courses, only full degree programs." - Straighterline

Here is a list of schools where (1) you can get guaranteed college credit if you enroll at them or (2) their undergraduate departments may CONSIDER accepting Straighterline for degree work. But remember, acceptance of transfer coursework varies department-by-department. Even if a humanities department might accept humanities coursework for transfer credit, there is no guarantee that a science department would accept science coursework for credit. The list of "Other schools our students plan to attend" is misleading since it doesn't tell tell you which coursework was accepted by those institutions.

It'd probably be best to see if the dental school's undergrad departments accept Straighterline for transfer credit then if they do, ask the dental school if they will accept Straighterline credit since their undergrad level accepts it. You won't actually transfer the coursework though since you'd need to be a current student for that. When I asked around for what schools would accept online coursework, they said "Yes as long as its accredited" or "No, we don't accept any online coursework at all and require in-person coursework". I forgot which but one school also said "Yes, we will accept it as long as our undergraduate department accepts it for transfer equivalency.

I also recommend University off New England (Yes the one with the dental school) if you need to retake any pre-reqs. It's 100% online and they are regionally accredited. I got some coursework done through them.

Reactions: 1 user
AADSAS accepted my Straighterline credits. My transcripts have been verified.

Maybe try your local community college? I didn't know what Straighterline was so I googled, and under the "people also ask" tab, I only see people asking about cheating on exams so that seems like a bad sign.

Then again, I doubt adcom will know much about the Straighterline program and might just pass it off as another college course.

If I was in your shoes and just need physics credit, I would just take it at my local CC or other accredited institution to be safe. I wouldn't want to jeopardize an application cycle over a physics class.