Story about NZ Otago University Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBlaze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medicine school loses 13th academic
18 November 2003

Another senior researcher has quit Otago University's Wellington School of Medicine - the 13th academic to leave in the past two years.

Head of Public Health Alistair Woodward has resigned to take up the position of head of the School of Population Health at Auckland University. He has been at the Wellington medical school for nine years.

Professor Woodward said he had enjoyed his time in Wellington but felt it was time to move on and the opportunity in Auckland had been too good to pass up.

However, an inside source said the resignations had been coming thick and fast since the high-profile departure of world-renowned asthma researcher Richard Beasley, who left in 2001.

At the time, sources said there was widespread dissatisfaction within the school about the way it was being run and managed.

An insider said yesterday there was widespread concern among the medical staff, "but nobody is in a position to put their finger on a pulse - it's just too big or too deeply hidden - but there's something wrong and we know that".

School dean John Nacey said many of those who left had taken up promotions elsewhere, and he was not worried about the number of departures.

"We don't have any issues for concern at all with the staffing level of the school, and we think we have a very good complement of high-calibre people," Prof Nacey said.

Prof Beasley established the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, and is still based in Wellington.

Others include asthma researchers Shaun Holt and Neil Pearce. Dr Holt is now director of P3 Research and Prof Pearce was based at Wellington's Massey campus, along with top sleep researcher Philippa Gander.

Harry McNaughton has joined Prof Beasley at the institute.

Renal physician Grant Pidgeon quit the school, as did senior cardiology lecturer David McHaffie. Both still work as doctors for the Capital and Coast District Health Board. Oncologist Mike Findlay moved to Auckland.

Those to head overseas include former associate dean of postgraduate affairs Cath Mcpherson, who went to Britain's University of Southampton, and research dean Phil Weinstein moved to Australia.

Associate dean of research Penny Fitzharris, an allergist immunologist, went to Britain, and senior lecturer Stefan Grebe left to take a position at the Mayo Clinic in the United States.

In addition, the Malaghan Institute of Medical Research, along with its 50 staff, announced three months ago it would leave the medical school for Victoria University.

Institute director of research Professor Graham Le Gros said the move was a collaboration with Victoria University, which had a strong science base, and it would relieve cramped conditions.

Otago University's Wellington School of Medicine has housed the institute since 1979.

Members don't see this ad.

No real point. However, I didn't have a great deal else to do and figured it was a relevant article to post here.

David

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody knows anything about this school? please advise. thanks very much!

I wasn't going to post anything to this thread as it didn't seem worth doing but hypochondriac won't let the thread die until someone does :)

The article reads like sensationalist tripe. I remember reading/hearing about Beasley leaving wellington med school before I entered med school (in jan 2001), so the two year thing is... well wrong afaik. From reports (and this was probably around 3 years ago and not very important to me at the time, so my memories are fuzzy) Beasley had personality issues (prima donna), left, then some of his asthma research buddies left with him.

Since 2000 I haven't heard of any resignations... obviously none were newsworthy. If the article is factually correct (apart from the dean I haven't heard of any of the other names), then I guess those people have come and gone... I recently decided to spend my next 3 years of med school at the wellington school and I don't think it'll affect my education in anyway... in fact I chose the wellington school specifically because I thought it may help my career prospects.

But if you want to trust some Auckland based pen jockey over a student then fine by me ;)

thanks purifyer! other than the location factor, would you mind sharing the similarities/differences between the wellington school and the Christchurch school? thanks!

Originally posted by Hypochondriac
thanks purifyer! other than the location factor, would you mind sharing the similarities/differences between the wellington school and the Christchurch school? thanks!

Wellington school has an exam at the end of 4th year, Christchurch doesn't.

You can read about the wellington 4th/5th years here :

http://www.wnmeds.ac.nz/study/mbchb/4th & 5th Year Handbook 2003.pdf

Christchuch:

http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/studentinfo/undergrad.htm

I'm lazy and couldn't find the chch .pdf ;)

They try to make the schools as 'close' as possible... to be honest the main difference is that all my friends went to the chch school :~(

But there are political factors of course... as in... if you want to spend your intern year in wellington for example, the quiet word is that they will take their own first.

The Otago Medical school an all it's training centres have a lot of good reputation, and I don't think that would change with just some academics leaving.

admin
http://www.doctors2be.com