Recent IMG graduate considering applying for internship in NZ and AU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstud101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm Canadian, I got my MD in the Caribbean in 2019, and passed the USMLE steps 1 and 2 (both CK and CS). I have only a medical degree with no formal graduate medical training (residency). I'm applying in the USA currently but also considering NZ and AU. I'd appreciate some advice from you guys.

I heard that, in NZ, I need to apply for house officer jobs, get an offer, and then apply for registration. Is that possible, really difficult, or am I so kidding myself?

Is it the same case in Australia?

How competitive is this type of application?

I'm essentially trying to understand how the process works for IMGs wishing to do a residency in either of these 2 countries.

Members don't see this ad.

if you did not complete any residency training in the USA your USMLE is worthless in Australia as you cannot apply for registration via the competent authority pathway. you will have to pursue the standard pathway which means having to do the AMC MCQ and clinical. plenty of threads on both of these pathways around the internet. standard pathway is over-saturated and you probably have better odds for a US residency. i assume NZ is similar to Australia

Members don't see this ad :)
Not in your circumstance without US experience

Aus

NZ

Looks like USMLE in NZ can exempt you from their MCQ but you will still need to do NZREX clinical

Last edited:
Something I noticed is that whenever I ask about a specific country, someone opens a door of hope for me only for someone else to slam it shut again. I'm not blaming you per se, just sayin'

I am not an expert in this, but it seems like you need to complete at least two years of residency in the US in order to be eligible for Competitive Authority Pathway which you can use USMLE to apply for as an IMG.(https://www.medicalboard.gov.au/doc...28501&dbid=AP&chksum=mlV0JoSS4Tf5h3GH4S4sXg==)

UNITED STATES Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)

Successful completion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 since 1992, AND
Successful completion of a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.
OR
Successful completion of the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) licensing examinations Part I, II and III before 1992,
AND
Successful completion of a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.

I am not quite sure if there would be any other pathway that accepts USMLE, but I think someone else might have answered the questions similar to yours somewhere in this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys,

I'm Canadian, I got my MD in the Caribbean in 2019, and passed the USMLE steps 1 and 2 (both CK and CS). I have only a medical degree with no formal graduate medical training (residency). I'm applying in the USA currently but also considering NZ and AU. I'd appreciate some advice from you guys.

I heard that, in NZ, I need to apply for house officer jobs, get an offer, and then apply for registration. Is that possible, really difficult, or am I so kidding myself?

Is it the same case in Australia?

How competitive is this type of application?

I'm essentially trying to understand how the process works for IMGs wishing to do a residency in either of these 2 countries.

Have you applied for the match in any other cycles and not matched?

why dont you give the standard pathway a try?
I already am. I'm just exploring all options because I do not want to wait for the match results in the USA and waste another year when I could've had done something in another country.

Reactions: 1 user