Stolen stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fedekz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past year I've spent $280 on just stethoscopes... and I have nothing to show for it.

The first one was a littman classic se II, I work a night shift so there isn't too many people around the station. I left it on the center console in the cab of the truck while I went inside the station to type my tickets, I come out and it's gone. Lesson learned, lock the unit.

The second one was a littman cardiology III, I payrol deducted it, so I JUST finished paying for it this past pay period. After work, I came home in a torrential downpour, and left my stethoscope, clipboard, and uniform in my car. It was some hardcore rain, so I just ran straight from my car to my house. Well about 3 hours later, I remembered I didn't lock my doors ... I go outside with my keys and see my driver side door open about an inch, I shut it and walk around to the passenger door to grab my stuff. Clipboard, and uniform is there, but the stethoscope is no where to be found. Oh, and the drivers side of my car is pretty soaked too ... it will be fun drying out the carpets ...

Whoever stole it, must have been hardcore to be robbing people in a tropical storm.

So now I'll be placing my 3rd payrol deduct order for a stethoscope totalling $450. I'm going to put a lock and chain on this one..

Edit: So if anyone has an extra littmann cardiology, or littmann classic sitting around they want to sell, PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the past year I've spent $280 on just stethoscopes... and I have nothing to show for it.

The first one was a littman classic se II, I work a night shift so there isn't too many people around the station. I left it on the center console in the cab of the truck while I went inside the station to type my tickets, I come out and it's gone. Lesson learned, lock the unit.

The second one was a littman cardiology III, I payrol deducted it, so I JUST finished paying for it this past pay period. After work, I came home in a torrential downpour, and left my stethoscope, clipboard, and uniform in my car. It was some hardcore rain, so I just ran straight from my car to my house. Well about 3 hours later, I remembered I didn't lock my doors ... I go outside with my keys and see my driver side door open about an inch, I shut it and walk around to the passenger door to grab my stuff. Clipboard, and uniform is there, but the stethoscope is no where to be found. Oh, and the drivers side of my car is pretty soaked too ... it will be fun drying out the carpets ...

Whoever stole it, must have been hardcore to be robbing people in a tropical storm.

So now I'll be placing my 3rd payrol deduct order for a stethoscope totalling $450. I'm going to put a lock and chain on this one..

You're buying a $450 scope?

You're buying a $450 scope?

No, just another littmann cardiology 3. The $450 is the total from the 2 stolen stethoscopes, and the new one.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry. Maybe consider engraving it?

For my part: I carry a Classic II with some major sentimental value (gift from an attending I know who used it in residency.) I forgot it in the ambo when I went offshift and realized I was without it two hours later. Headed back to the station.

First person who sees me when I walk in, the following convo ensues:

"Back so soon?"
"Yup!"
"Forgot something?"
"Yup!"
"Your scope?"
"Yup!"
"In the ambo?"
"Yup!
"On the bench seat in the back?"
"Yup!"

Got out there and it's sitting exactly where I left it. Conclusion: Having a rep as the provider who smiles all the time and wears a knife on the boot helps with 'scope recovery!

I see. You can get it cheaper than $170:

http://www.allheart.com/31273134.html

Do you really need to buy another Cardiology III, seeing as how you keep getting them stolen?

Honestly, I'm really not sure. I've been thinking about that this morning, I can get a littmann classic II SE used for about $30 shipped on eBay. My dad is a IM physician, and told me that if I get a high quality one, it will last you for a very long time (he has had his for 20 years) so that was my motivation for getting the cardiology III, as I plan on going to med school.

Part of me is saying just go for the $30 used on, because It's not like I tell my partner to pull over, I want to listen for a murmur. However, the other half of me is saying that if I get the classic II, it will just get replaced in 2 years anyways (well, hopefully).

Dzerzhinsky- (won't let me quote you in an edit, and didn't want to double post)

Wow good thing you don't work at my station! you could have found it at a local pawn shop after leaving it. Luckly, my stethoscopes have no sentimental value. I too carry a knife on my belt, which is very visible to everyone but I guess that wasn't enough to deter my partners. My cardiology 3 on the other hand, I pretty much live in the ghetto (didn't know that when I moved here ... ), so there are shady people walking up and down the street drunk mumbling all hours of the day. Well we have a badge, our uniforms look identical to the PD, crap on our belt, same radio as the PD, not to mention my car has a PD sticker on it so I'm surprised someone broke into it ... I'm sure whoever stole it is someone I've seen before.

In all seriousness, whatever thug stole my cardiology 3 won't have much/any use for it, and will probably sell it ... where would be the best place to go searching for it? Just the local pawns/craigslist?

Last edited:
Engrave the bell and always keep it around your neck. 10 years in EMS and I've never lost a scope that way. Stop leaving it places!!!!