DRG Stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDIC 823

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these DRG scopes? I have seen them in a few supply mags, so I figured they can't be too bad. Just wanted some insight before I possibly made a mistake by purchasing one.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen some of the review articles on the DRGs and they have been very positive. I will not doubt the quality of them, considering that they were created in partnership with one of the most respected groups in the areas of sound transmission, Bose. However, when you begin looking at stethoscopes in the $200+ range, it is very difficult for me to justify spending that much money and not really knowing what I am getting. And I have yet to hear of a retailer allowing you to take a several hundred dollar stethoscope home for a couple of months to try out. I have used Littman's for a long time now and think that they are absolutely wonderful and plan on staying with them for quite some time as their quality is proven and I have used my Littman's on thousands of patients and know what they are capable of. But that is just my opinion. I would recommend finding somebody in your service that has a DRG and asking to try it out and take a few blood pressure's with it and listen to lung/heart sounds and see what you think as what works for one person may not work for you. Also look at the Littman Master Cardiology as they are also superb stethoscopes.

I had a DRG TiLite Cardiology. It was a very nice instrument, well built, and rugged. I used it for a couple of months before going back to my Littmann Cardiology III. The Littmann just felt more comfortable in my ears and I felt like I could hear better. I really liked the DRG; it just didn't work for me. YMMV.

Members don't see this ad :)
DRG is great. Are you thinking of getting a Cardiology steth? I find that the DRG Cardiology models are better than Littmann Cardiology models, in terms of sound clarity. I find that the Littmann tunable diaphragm creates some artifact which especially makes splitting and gallops hard to figure out.

The DRG cardio models have thicker tubing than Littmanns, which really makes a difference on the ambulance. Lung sounds will not sound strangely similar to a diesel engine, with the thicker tubing. The DRG tubing also has non-slip bands on the tube, so when its draped on your neck while youre working an arrest, it wont slip away and land under someones boot. However, DRG is pretty expensive, making it a lousy choice for me.

You don't really need a Cardiology scope, A Littmann Classic or equivalent would be just fine. But for me, the ambient noise reduction of a cardio scope is worth the price.

I would really reccomend an ADC Cardiology scope. It is just as good as a Littmann, for a fraction of the price. You can also choose one without a tunable diaphragm. I used an ADC as a medic, and got a more expensive, fancy scope for medical school. When I go back to EMS, or am working like a nut on the wards, I prefer the good ol' ADC.

Don't buy this stehoscioe. I finally got one and the sound is great, but it kept falling of my neck. I think the reason why is because the tubes are so stiff. It was a pain in the but to be on a call and handeling a pt and have the thing fall off of your neck in the pts yard.
Other than that it's a great scope but that's enough for me to get a different one. I'm going to be trying the Welch Allyn Harvey DLX triple head and double head models next.

Bose has nothing to do with DRG. If you don't believe me call the company

Phone: 908-429-0590 , Trimline medical products owns the puretone line, they bought DRG in 2005

Every forum I read says that DRG has Bose technology, can you find out what it has? Neither could Trimline when I called them.