still waiting on LORs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on 2 more letters of recommendation before my application is "complete". For those programs that mention about their deadlines, does that mean I have to have ALL my documents in ERAS or would they still invite for interview while waiting for rest of the letters to come in?

Members don't see this ad.

Fooman said:
I'm still waiting on 2 more letters of recommendation before my application is "complete". For those programs that mention about their deadlines, does that mean I have to have ALL my documents in ERAS or would they still invite for interview while waiting for rest of the letters to come in?

Why don't you call the programs and find out? Won't each program have different policies?

Can't you call your letter writer's secretary to see if they are anywhere near completion. I mean, I think all of my letters were dictated. It only takes about 2 minutes for the dictation. So just remind and remind.

I'm still waiting for a letter also. It's annoying, but these guys usually understand the deadlines (hopefully) and so I'm pretty sure most are able to get them in on time.

I think that when it says the deadline is a certain date, it means that everything, including letters, needs to be in. There is one place I am applying to, though, that specifically says on its web site that the deadline is Nov 1 but they will wait a couple of weeks for the letters to finish coming in (Stanford surgery I think). As for interview invitations, programs send those out even before the letters are uploaded.

If you asked your writers to give you an LOR in good time then it's probably time to put some gentle pressure on. If you haven't already, send each one a thank you letter for supporting your application --it's a good way to give a little nudge without saying, "What's taking you so long!" However, if you didn't ask for the LOR until September or even October, then you shot yourself in the foot so suck it up.

I asked well in advance. The guy told me at the time that he was going to do all of his letters in mid-October and that he knew the deadlines so not to worry about it. So I think in this case it would be a bit rude to remind him, since he said that. But I am going to call his secretary tomorrow and ask if it was sent out or it there is any problem.

My last letter just went in yesterday. And that's after a ton of 'gentle pressure'. Better late than never, I guess. :(