Still an undergrad but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesleeannc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here and had a few questions...
I'm just a sophomore working towards my B.A. I'm already starting to think about the GRE. I know its early and everyone tells me I'm crazy for thinking so far ahead but I want to be prepared as possible because I'm so horrible at math. I have only taken basic arthimetic classes and pre-algebra and algebra. I have never taken geometry or calculus or anything along those lines and I'm about to take my first of 2 required Stats classes.
I was wondering what math classes I should take to make the GRE easier on my brain and stress levels... Like I said, I'm horrible at math but if I study enough I can pass with a B or so. What math is on the GRE? I have read so many different answers. Some people say algebra, some says calculus and geometry, etc.

Is there any advice I should know now as a sophmore to prepare me for the GRE? When did you start studying and when do people usually take the GRE.

Thanks for all your help in advance and sorry if this question was already asked. I searched and didn't see that it was asked.

-L

Members don't see this ad.

The math on the GRE is rather basic, but the problems are often "dressed up" to seem more difficult than they really are: The quantitative section is mostly arithmetic, fractions, geometry, basic trig, basic algebra, etc. Many in word problem format. No calculus or anything like that. I don't really recommend any specific math classes in undergrad because you can be relatively poor at math and still do well on the GRE quantitative section. You just have to know alot of formulas, principles, and knno how to work through several steps. The "math" itself (i.e., the calculations) are easy. Obviously, the more exposure to math you have and the better at math you are, the easier this section is. However, if you are not good at math, I still wouldn't sweat it too much. Just do the appropriate amount of study in the months before the test. If you are really poor at math, I would start reviewing formulas and principles and doing alot of practice tests/sample problems starting about 5-6 months before your targeted testing date. I would NOT advocate taking whole semester long math classes just because of the GRE however.

I took my GRE in August, right before the start of my senior year because I applied directly from undergrad. This is a common time for people to take the exam who are intending to go right out of undegrad. Some before. But I wouldn't put it off much too longer than Sept. Summer and late summer are good because you get it over with so you can concentrate on your senior year classes, but, it also leaves a good error window in case you have a bad test. This way you can take it again in Sept or Oct and still have your scores in time for when you submit all your applications in December and January.

Last edited:
You definitely don't need math classes for the GRE. It's more about getting the tricks of the questions than the actual math. If you find yourself doing long computations, you're probably approaching the problem incorrectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you need to be pretty familiar with geometry for the GRE. I remember being presented with problems that required knowledge of the properties of circles and specific types of triangles especially. Now, I'm not sure you would need an entire class to gain a working knowledge of geometry. If you can read math texts and get anything out of them or if you can find a very good study aid that goes over geometry in detail, then you can probably forgo taking a class.

have you taken a good look at the practice materials, or done a practice test? i've felt that ets materials are the most accurate. you don't need to spend years studying for the math part of the gre, but at the same time if you make sure to keep up your math skills and take courses with math, you'll be solidly prepared, and will get a lot more done when you really sit down to study those months before the exam (just like reading literature, a good paper, articles, etc will help you in the verbal part in a way that memorizing word lists can only attempt) .

Yeah, you need to know area formulas and stuff, but even I remembered that and I am terrible at math. As for special triangles, those are pretty easy to memorize; I did that in one night.

Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to just take my Stats courses and then study the rest in the books. Do you guys recommend those super expensive GRE courses? I'd have to take a loan out to pay for it but I would do it to get a good score...

The toughest section for me on the GRE was the verbal. I don't know why since English was my best subject in school :D My GRE scores represented my academic opposite (crappy english, great math). I didn't go to grad school right away, so I retook it several years later. I did end up taking the Kaplan course, which helped raise my verbal score considerably (150 points). But yeah, they are $$$. If you're a motivated self-studyer, then you could probably pull it off with just the books if you can get them. The classes were helpful I suppose, but really it comes down to practice practice practice. In my opinion, it's never too early to start learning those vocabulary words :)

It's not necessarily about motivation. I studied on my own for two years off and on and still couldn't raise my quant that high. The problem was that I couldn't teach myself.

Or, now, I think I have to face the fact that maybe I just don't have the aptitude. But, whatever.

i've said it a few times (in other gre threads -- if you do a search, there's a ton of them) but for me, a tutor would have been best. have you taken a practice test yet? how did you do on the SAT or ACT, or on standardized tests in general? if you do well on these kinds of tests, that's great, it'll likely transfer over to the GRE. if not, read a lot, develop your reading comprehension (dense psych articles and literature are great for that), take your stats, try to do math in your everyday life so you're used to it if you're not a math person (and if you are, you'll likely be fine) and don't worry. kaplan i think can be good for folks that aren't good at standardized tests. i am so it was a waste of time -- i could have spent half that money on math tutors and gotten more out of it, but that was me. if you have a knowledge lack -- need to learn more vocab, need to learn more math, self study and/or a tutor may be the best, but honestly that is along way off. right now, i'd concentrate on enjoying college and figuring out your strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes by talking to lots of people and trying new things. if you don't know what you want to do and you're graduating, it's not the end of the world. lots of us took time to figure things out and i know for me that process was invaluable and will make me a better psychologist, because it made me a better and more developed person. you'll likely have SOME interests - pursue them, see where they lead you. my well over 2 cents!

good luck!

Yes, read, read, read! That's why I didn't have to study any vocab. FYI, Jane Austen novels are wonderful for GRE words. :D

I don't think GRE math ever reaches beyond 9th or 10th grade. The concepts can be more challenging (i.e. there are tons of tricks), but the math itself would be considered basic even to many high schoolers. So its a different kind of testing than a typical math exam. I don't think there is really any statistics on the GRE. You do need a decent knowledge of it as a psychologist even if you open a private practice and never want to do research again after graduating, but most people don't really develop an understanding of stats til grad school.

You absolutely do not need calculus. I'm not even sure there's anything on there where calculus could be a shortcut, let alone necessary. You do need basic geometry, but I really do mean basic. Area, volume, sine, cosine, tangent, etc. I think there's a dozen or so formulas to memorize. If you're worried about it, a college class certainly wouldn't hurt, but if it means your GPA will take a hit I'm not sure its worth what you'd get out of it.

I took the GRE in September of the year I was applying. Studied off and on for about a month, but I didn't do very well so I'm a bad example. I just hate studying for those kinds of tests.

Yes, read, read, read! That's why I didn't have to study any vocab. FYI, Jane Austen novels are wonderful for GRE words. :D

as are waugh, woodehouse, mervyn peake, bonfiglioli -- so many of those britishers have awesome vocabs!

I can't thank you guys enough for your help! It's really calming my nerves. I think I'm going to spend my sophomore year keeping my GPA up, studying vocab and maybe trying a new activity or something like that. I'm transferring to a new school (tomorrow) and I'm a bit nervous so maybe joining a club or something would help.

I have done arthimetic, pre-algebra, algebra 1, and my boyfriend is like a whiz at Geometry so I'm going to get one of those "Geometry For Dummies" books and he's going to help me through it. I'm taking Stats in the Spring and Summer and then I'll just keep trying to master what I can. I'm a math idiot but when I work at it, I can do it so I know it's going to take time.

I did pretty bad on my ACT. I got a 20. But I'd like to take into mind that I didn't study and I wasn't a serious student at all in high school. My math section was the worst, science was okay and english and reading were above. I don't know if I'm bad a standardized testing per se, I just know I was ill prepared for the test. But I don't want it to turn out like that again. I had to do a year of community college to prove myself to a 4 year and I don't want to end up like that again. I've kept above a 3.6 :D my first 3 semesters so thats going to be my main concern before any other stuff. at least until summer.

Thanks again guys!