Can I still get licensed as a psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawnmm12

Reaction score
I have a felony failure to appear on my record can I still get licensed

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my state, it would be a seriously steep hill to climb with the likely potential still being there for not getting licensed. A full psychological evaluation would be requested, as well as documentation indicating whatever issues that led to the charge were addressed and remediated.

This is "consult with an attorney" territory. It is worth every cent to learn that you will be fine, or learn that you shouldn't go into student debt.

Some law schools have a pro-bono clinic.

Reactions: 7 users
Agreed, consulting with an attorney and possibly contacting the state board directly would be your best bets. Relatedly, the language in applications is sometimes similar to, "have you ever been convicted of..." and an attorney would be able to let you know whether you still need to answer "yes" to that even if the record has been sealed.

Reactions: 2 users
This is "consult with an attorney" territory. It is worth every cent to learn that you will be fine, or learn that you shouldn't go into student debt.

Some law schools have a pro-bono clinic.
To add to this, if you are a student at a university with a law school, check if that law school offers legal services to students for free or low cost. Even if they do not have a clinic, the law school's website might have resources for you to find a pro bono clinic in the area.

Reactions: 3 users
To add to this, if you are a student at a university with a law school, check if that law school offers legal services to students for free or low cost. Even if they do not have a clinic, the law school's website might have resources for you to find a pro bono clinic in the area.
Also, if there is a local bar association, check if they have a pro bono committee.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible considering I used to work on a credentialing committee for a mental health network and we reviewed applications that had been flagged including those with felonies and those providers had licenses. Additionally, you'll also want to consider insurance network credentialing as this will need to be disclosed to them as well via the CAQH. You can upload a narrative about your record via CAQH or provide individual networks with the narrative, too. It's totally possible to have a successful career with a felony, just have some hoops to jump through. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users