stewart university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's Vietnamese. No offense taken... I have various relatives with names like Dang, Bich, and Phuc. Languages can be funny like that. That's why I have a nice English alternative name.

That essay made me cringe/die a little, for a multitude of reasons. Not to mention the fact that, on a practical level, it's highly questionable for a med school to publicly post its students admissions essays in the first place. But that's the least of its problems.
The essay made me cringe, because I know several Vietnamese people and I'm not sure they would have made the grammatical errors that were made in this essay. In addition, they were very inconsistent, and if you are such a dedicated kid, Vietnamese or not, you aren't going to submit an essay that was not proofread.

But all this is BS and besides the point, because lord knows that Stewart is as good as a telemarketing scam and that everything on that website is a lie.

Members don't see this ad.

The essay made me cringe, because I know several Vietnamese people and I'm not sure they would have made the grammatical errors that were made in this essay. In addition, they were very inconsistent, and if you are such a dedicated kid, Vietnamese or not, you aren't going to submit an essay that was not proofread.

But all this is BS and besides the point, because lord knows that Stewart is as good as a telemarketing scam and that everything on that website is a lie.

I had a similar reaction upon reading the essay. Anyway, I support the notion that the whole thing is a sham. The copy on the website is so bogus.

The interesting thing about Stewart "University" is that originally they appeared to be opening a test prep center, and they sent out actual letters to everyone at my school. I remember they were going to charge something like $3000 and have you there from 9-6 for the equivalent of a semester. When no one bit on that they decided "Forget it, let's go for broke and open a medical school."

The whole Celtic thing kinda scares me actually. For some reason I picture that bald guy from Lethal Weapon II as behind all of this.

I honestly don't think they have even researched what other groups (PR/Kaplan) offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...I can't believe this scam. I guess it should be reported to the AAMC if it hasn't already been done so.

I've decided to create some awesome T-Shirts dedicated to my favorite medical school. Don't hate cause you know I go to a better school.

drnickvg5.jpg

http://www.stewartmed.org/

I've decided to create some awesome T-Shirts dedicated to my favorite medical school. Don't hate cause you know I go to a better school.

drnickvg5.jpg

http://www.stewartmed.org/

Dr. Nick,

I swear to you that I will buy this shirt if you could figure out a way to manufacture it.

P.S. It'd be even cuter as a babydoll tee. :D

Dr. Nick,

I swear to you that I will buy this shirt if you could figure out a way to manufacture it.

P.S. It'd be even cuter as a babydoll tee. :D

DropKick makes shirts, maybe he'll add it to his line up. I'd consider buying it too. :)

If I had the capability of doing the plaid shirt, I'd be all over that. Sadly, it's not an option. Perhaps you should talk to Depakote. :thumbup: I'd buy one too.....nice idea Nick.

i forced myself to read it all. it was so bad! Look, I have trouble with grammar (the vietnamese language has no "tense" so subject-verb agreements, etc can be quite hard sometimes) but this is beyond bad.

For those of you, that have not taken the time to really research this school this is for you.

I made a thorough investigation and found that this school is totally genuine and legit. I was allowed to sit in on their class discussions and not only that, they had a MD/PHD from the NIH come and give lectures on physiology and nueroscience.

I also found that the campus they are getting is permanent and they will be getting accreditation from the World Health Organization.

I feel sorry for those that have gone thousands of miles away to some island no one has ever heard of, and to suffer those extreme conditions really does make me feel sad, because I am in the same ranks as all of you.
They are not even asking for tuition until they recieve Financial Aid, this school is real, and legitimate.

If you guys want to go after a fraud then by all means do it, but do not go after a school that is trying to give us a chance to become licensed physicians here in the US.

If you have questions e-mail me

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you, that have not taken the time to really research this school this is for you.

I made a thorough investigation and found that this school is totally genuine and legit. I was allowed to sit in on their class discussions and not only that, they had a MD/PHD from the NIH come and give lectures on physiology and nueroscience.

I also found that the campus they are getting is permanent and they will be getting accreditation from the World Health Organization.

I feel sorry for those that have gone thousands of miles away to some island no one has ever heard of, and to suffer those extreme conditions really does make me feel sad, because I am in the same ranks as all of you.
They are not even asking for tuition until they recieve Financial Aid, this school is real, and legitimate.

If you guys want to go after a fraud then by all means do it, but do not go after a school that is trying to give us a chance to become licensed physicians here in the US.

If you have questions e-mail me

[email protected]

oh here we go again... the idiot just keeps trying.

This coming from a man who has a picture of cat. You probably have birthdays with them, how sweet....:laugh:

Law2doc, your right, but this also means that students do not have to travel thousands of miles away to some island that poses to be a great vacation spot.

I need opinions, is this real or does it sound like a scam?

There was an advertisement in the school newspaper about a med school accepting people without MCAT, letters of rec or even an undergraduate degree. So I went to the site and applied. Not even 24 hours later, I get a call from the "chancellor" asking me a bunch of questions and then, he says he'd like to "extend an offer of admission" to me. So now, I'm supposed to pay a $750 deposit to start school immediately.

Sounds very very weird. Especially because they refuse to disclose the location of the school until I've paid my "deposit". On top of that, what kind of f&@#d up school would accept students without MCAT?

Let me know what you guys think.

www.stewartmed.org
There are people stressing themselves out for GPA, MCAT, extracurricular activities and life experiences to get into medical school. Do you really think a legitimate medical school would accept anybody as you described?

I can't believe anyone would fall for this :lol:

I can understand why someone would have their reservations about this school. But does anyone know how DIFFICULT it is to start a medical school on US SOIL!?

Yes they do not require an MCAT and they do not require a Degree, but several other schools in the caribbean do that, and some schools here in the US do not require a bachelors degree as well. Basing this on one requirement is not the way to go.

They require the same courses to enter as the other schools, and these courses must be completed, and completed well. Stewart University is the first medical school to be opened in the US for over forty years.

Now is that fair when more than 18000 applicants get rejected, for less than a few hundred seats!!!?

If this was a scam, then how come the school did not ask for the tuition up front? like some of these bogus schools. Over the phone, I personally, again the word is personally, that will not ask for any tuition until the people are given financial assistance to pay for it.

You folks have a choices, either take your chances with schools that are going to give you the run around, or go to a school that is on an island that you have never heard of. Or you folks can get ready study medicine in California and take the USMLE Step1.

If you have questions ask me, and I put these up here.
This school has nothing to hide!

I need opinions, is this real or does it sound like a scam?

There was an advertisement in the school newspaper about a med school accepting people without MCAT, letters of rec or even an undergraduate degree. So I went to the site and applied. Not even 24 hours later, I get a call from the "chancellor" asking me a bunch of questions and then, he says he'd like to "extend an offer of admission" to me. So now, I'm supposed to pay a $750 deposit to start school immediately.

Sounds very very weird. Especially because they refuse to disclose the location of the school until I've paid my "deposit". On top of that, what kind of f&@#d up school would accept students without MCAT?

Let me know what you guys think.

www.stewartmed.org

I know this African guy that needs a deposit of 15,000 dollars so he can collect 5 million dollars, of which if you help him out with the deposit he'll give you 50% of the 5 mil. I'll refer you to him if you want me too. :rolleyes:

I can understand why someone would have their reservations about this school. But does anyone know how DIFFICULT it is to start a medical school on US SOIL!?

Yes they do not require an MCAT and they do not require a Degree, but several other schools in the caribbean do that, and some schools here in the US do not require a bachelors degree as well. Basing this on one requirement is not the way to go.

They require the same courses to enter as the other schools, and these courses must be completed, and completed well. Stewart University is the first medical school to be opened in the US for over forty years.

Now is that fair when more than 18000 applicants get rejected, for less than a few hundred seats!!!?

If this was a scam, then how come the school did not ask for the tuition up front? like some of these bogus schools. Over the phone, I personally, again the word is personally, that will not ask for any tuition until the people are given financial assistance to pay for it.

You folks have a choices, either take your chances with schools that are going to give you the run around, or go to a school that is on an island that you have never heard of. Or you folks can get ready study medicine in California and take the USMLE Step1.

If you have questions ask me, and I put these up here.
This school has nothing to hide!

I have a question.

Why don't you fix your website up instead of wasting your time on a message board? Do you know the essay you have up there is a huge embarrassment?

I know this African guy that needs a deposit of 15,000 dollars so he can collect 5 million dollars, of which if you help him out with the deposit he'll give you 50% of the 5 mil. I'll refer you to him if you want me too. :rolleyes:

Hey! When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you DIRECTLY asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country!

:smuggrin:

So I decided to google one of the faculty members that are listed on the website...Jake Henn. This is the article that popped up. Not sure if it is the same guy, but it sounds very probable. In which case...whoah. This is one messed up psuedo school.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20040706-9999-1m6kinney.html

So, Union, is this the same guy you have working at your "school"?

I am pretty darn desperate to get into med school, but if that is my only alternative...I think I'll be practicing my, "would you like fries with that?", instead.

Hey, couple of great reviews over at everyone's favorite bargain-MD-hunting website ValueMD.

If anyone still has any doubts about Stewart, then forget accreditation and forget residency placement (or even the existence of a physical location, I suppose) - just check out the most important validation for any med school: the Testimonials!

:laugh:

If anyone still has any doubts about Stewart, then forget accreditation and forget residency placement (or even the existence of a physical location, I suppose) - just check out the most important suppport for any med school: the Testimonials!

:laugh:

bios_townspeople_krusty.gif
I whole-heartedly endorse this product, service or educational institution. -Krusty the Clown

Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school. A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE step 1 exam, which they need to pass prior to taking any clinical rotations in the U.S.. The clinical rotations can take place in a variety of locations throughout the United States or elsewhere in the world - where the medical student desires.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah, who cares about arguably the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MEDICAL SCHOOL.

this has become my new favorite thread

hey, everyone should back off of this school. i'll be attending stewart after i finish up my work towards my D.D and Masters degree in Metaphysics at the Universal Life Church. As soon as i finish my MD i'll be highly sought out for doing faith healings and exorcisms. then i'll move to some small island and open a resort for doing "soul surgery". there is some real opportunity here if all of you guys would stop getting hung up on the whole "knowing sh-t before you lay your hands on another human being"...i personally don't have time for that. :D

ive found the campus secret location! from the 'campus photos' (http://stewartmed.org/campus.html) I know exactly where they are (i lived in oxnard):

here it is on google maps: http://www.google.com/maps?q=Ventur....142942,-119.191822&spn=0.002451,0.006781&t=k

its the peach-roofed building. Nice location next to the ocean and all...only downside is that im pretty sure what they are calling their 'campus' is an old community center.

Please tell me those aren't actually 'students' in the photo on their homepage.

OMG!! I think I know that place!! It looks like Port Hueneme! My husband is a life guard there..LOL..he has been for like 15 years or something. This is hilarious because I can't even tell you how many times I have driven down that road and seen that building! My husband grew up in Oxnard..he even went to Oxnard High :laugh: Man, that snack stand makes the best fish tacos ever....I have never had fish tacos as good as the ones at the Port Hueneme snack stand...(they take FOREVER but it's worth the wait :thumbup:)

It's a total scam...that place is NOT a med-school...I thought the center was actually closed?? Am I wrong? Haven't been there this summer yet but I will drop by after I hit up the Camarillo outlet center :D

-PlAnEjaNe

Notice how the fat jolly Biochemistry and Human Genetics professor Ed Nolan is the one sitting in the picture posing as a student. Look at the blue shirt. What a fatty.

Pay the 750 and theyll mail you a diploma in 2-3 business days. Ed Nolan will actually sign it.

And why are all the people wearing world war II era uniforms in the Administration photos. A little wierd.

What about the 'chief operations officer' ???:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hmmm, I wonder what special 'talents' she brings to the university. LMAO.

-PlAnEjaNe

I can't believe nobody is talking about the location. Clear lake makes this place even more hilarious. You'd have a hard time picking a more meth-infested trailer park of a town full of parolees.

Interesting stuff. If it is real, they've got guts. They could be tapping keys from Nigeria for all we know though.

I guess I'll play devil's advocate here: is there any chance this is actually a bunch of crazy people trying to open a medical school?

If it were a scam they would promise more than they do (like having 3rd year rotations all set, like soon to be accredited by LCME, etc). I see little they have suggested that they won't be able to provide for the fee -- just that it probably won't get you very far in your quest to becoming a physician. I think it mostly shows that you cannot start a credible med school in the US with a shoestring budget and without substantial backers.

Please let this be some grand social/psychological experiment on how pre-meds react to a completely non-standard education provided by a completely unheard of school....pretty please.

Otherwise, the website is just whack. The coding makes you think that the person knew what they were doing but the design is :scared:. I hope those three students in the photos were just paid models and not actually people who coughed up the tuition. If not, someone should write to BBB or whatever regulatory agency is out there for these kinds of things.

...best thread ever.

My favorite part of the whole website is this:

Q: Why did you start a new medical school in California?
A: California has not had a new medical school open prior to Stewart University School of Medicine in over 40 years. No one other than the Chancellor has the knowledge to open a medical school in California, as no one is still living who has previously opened a medical school in California prior to Chancellor Stewart.
Yes, there's no one else out there in the whole state of California that would know how to open a med school.

You can only report them if you pay them and they don't do what they advertise. And they aren't promising much. Caveat emptor.

I'd worry about AAMC, who actually has them listed as a school for MCAT forwarding purposes.

I'd worry about AAMC, who actually has them listed as a school for MCAT forwarding purposes.

Why? Nobody is warrantying anything. You can go to the school and maybe they can teach you enough to pass the boards and line you up a rotation in a couple of years, and then maybe you can get lucky and do as well in the match as some of the caribbean schools. Lots of maybes. But nothing really reportable. You probably get what you bargain for.

The school still has no IMED listing and there is someone posting on VMD now telling us to go............................

i love how stewart's website design is so regal, like you'd be attending medieval times for medical school. this is the greatest thread ever posted on sdn.

medieval times. i love it. you wear crowns and sit around a table eating and drinking and talking about medicine.
someone needs to apply.
you just give them $75 and they give you the application. :idea:

I like how the location has changed in the past couple of months - first it was Ventura County, CA. Now its Lake County, CA (which according to google maps doesn't exist)

No one has found the strangest part of this website yet? Check out the staff...

http://www.stewartmed.org/staff.html#

Go ahead and click on the Marketing Director to read about how he loves to "party".

from the school catalog:

Stewart University New Scotland International School of
Medicine, is a north American Medical School with,
instructional classes located in southern California, offers an
accelerated, 2-year and 10-month M.D. program that allows
students the opportunity to fulfill medical school
requirements quickly and get started early on a career in
medicine.

This is the worst punctuated and formed sentence I've ever seen in my life...and this is from the official school catalog!

No one has found the strangest part of this website yet? Check out the staff...

http://www.stewartmed.org/staff.html#

Go ahead and click on the Marketing Director to read about how he loves to "party".

The marketing director is Stewart's (Chancellor) son no less. This is just too weird. It's like some sort of cult or project he started to get rid of a gambling debt or something...