Stewart SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hahaha, thats interesting. I've never heard of it, and the site is a little sketchy... but who knows maybe it is real. My personal favorite is the campus photos -- where they like to show off all of their palm trees. Everyone knows that palm trees are the most important part of a good medical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
With such a professional website, of COURSE it isn't a hoax! Hello, Mcfly?!

haha.. that place is real I think. I looked it up on the MCAT THx and it's available to send your scores to.

well I'm not applying this cycle anyways, but what really gets me is their tuition page...there was actually an ad for this in the school paper, if I had more energy I would upload it but instead I will describe it: it's a comic with this guy with a mohawk who's holding a letter of acceptance, he says in the first panel that he just got accepted to a CA medical school, then this nerdy looking guy asks him "how's you do that stupid". Then in the next panel the mohawk guy is seen holding a hot cartoon girl in his arms and he says, "Now who's stupid". Shifty...:rolleyes:

http://www.stewartmed.org/tuition.html

Tuition
The current tuition at Stewart University is $7500.00/semester or 4 month increment for all classes or clinical rotations provided in that semester. The tuition is the same amount irrespective of whether the classes are taken for credit, or for audit.

Save $375!
You can save $375 by paying your tuition in full within ten days of acceptance.

Tuition Fee, Single Semester
If it's been more than ten days since your acceptance, your tuition is $7500.

Save $13,500 (and up)!
Should you elect to pay your entire tuition (9 semesters) all at once, we will extend you a 20% discount on the current tuition cost. This will also protect you from any future increases in tuition fees.

A prorated tuition may be considered for less than fulltime status.
Stewart University School of Medicine reserves the right to change or modify tuition rates at will.

I find thier crest amusing... the top two panels are symbols of Scotland and England, respectively..

I'm just wondering where the scam money is going... they do note that thier mcat class is 5 grand... umm yeah.

I'm just wondering where the scam money is going... they do note that thier mcat class is 5 grand... umm yeah.

The MCAT prep section is especially interesting:

"You do have a choice, to either get a GREAT Score on the MCAT, or take second best and go to a Caribbean Medical School."

"If you do poorly on the MCAT, you can still go to an inferior medical school in the Caribbean."

Furthermore, if you DO pay the $5000 you can learn

"Writing Skills

Students will develop and practice writing and reasoning skills employing logic and
critical thinking. They will learn to delineate a clear thesis and develop concise and
well-reasoned argument, supporting their thesis with facts and examples. While
simplicity and clarity of style are paramount, ideas should be complex. Standard written
American English is the basis for all writing in this course. Students will examine many
examples of good writing and will weekly write in various styles, including reports, case
studies, exposition and opinion." -- from the brochure

I hope I learn to weekly write in various styles someday.

I don't think this is so much a medical school as it is an unconvincing website by an immature med school reject.

this has to be a joke...

look at the "testimonials"

I would love to be involved in a start-up University! This would be great!
Steven Woodward

haha how is that a testimonial?

and more from the MCAT site

The 14-week MCAT Test Prep and Review course offered by Stewart University is like no other. At Stewart University we cover everything you will need to know. Our MCAT instructors have Ph.D.'s from good schools, and speak English.

wow they speak english in the MCAT prep class! BONUS!

hahaha, almost all of their faculty positions are pending

ironically enough, I've seen website for foreign med schools that are actually worse looking than this one... and yes, they send grads to the US for residencies every year...

and even more amazing... yes, AMCAS does have "Stewart University" on its list of schools to send the MCAT to...creepy.

I do wonder how many people have paypalled thier 75 dollar application fee to them.

"It is no wonder why students can't learn under foreign school conditions and in the foreign school environments. The instructors do not speak English fluently and pronounce terms with a heavy foreign accent, so US students in foreign schools learn the medical terms incorrectly. Then while on US rotations or residencies, the Doctors and patients you will be interfacing with will hear the foreign trained students and wonder what they are saying, cannot understand them, or just assume that they are stupid and don't know the proper terms. Is this the assumption and opinions you want to portray to others?"

it seriously sounds like a 12 year old wrote this...

LOL, "interfacing" with doctors and patients. :laugh:

"In the Caribbean, the living conditions are poor because it is a third world country - water from the tap gets turned off periodically as does the electricity, without notice, and for varying lengths of time. The access to good healthcare on the island is poor at best - Remember this is a third world country. Your life can be in jeopardy from an accident there and you could die, because their laws are different than those in the US, which protect you as a US citizen. You do not have the protection and privileges of the US, in a foreign country. Simply put, you didn't get into a US medical school, and had to go out of the country for an education, due to a poor MCAT score. The Stewart University MCAT Test Prep and Review course can help you prevent that from happening."

Wow, the MCAT test prep could potentially save your LIFE!! :laugh:

im totally applying b/c i like palm trees and life. what a bunch of jackasses. i love how their med school is .org and not .edu . hahahaha

why bump a year old thread when we have one of ours already going on 10+ pages?

b/c chuck norris demanded we do so

I am closing this year old thread because there are 2 other stewart med threads open on the forums. I am merging those two together. Please do not create needless copies of the same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.