Stethoscopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReinaDeLuz

UF CVM Class of 2010!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Now, I'm pretty psyched about going to vet school next year...but sometimes I think my parents are just a little more excited than I am ;-) (I suppose its the 10+ years of shipping me around to the vet clinic/volunteering/taking in the strays I adopted/stressing about grades etc...). My parents new deal is that they want to get me a stethoscope as a graduation present, even though I told them that I wont actually *need* one for like two years! They're pretty stubborn, and since I will need one eventually, I might as well go with the flow. Now, they want to get me a "best of the best" stethoscope, and although I've been around them I don't know exactly which specific kind is the best for a vet student. I know Littman's are pretty good, I tried looking them up online and there are like a jillion types! Each one sounds more exciting than the next! I guess what I'm asking here is, whats the deal with the stethoscopes? I've heard vague murmurings about "cardiology III" being awesome, but there's also "master cardiology", "master classic II" "classic II SE" and the list goes on!

Which do you guys reccomend?

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the Littmans Cardiology III and it is great. It has the dual head (I can use the pediatric head for kittens/cats and puppies and the large head for everything else. I ordered a 27 inch which is kind of the middle length for both large and small animal.

You might want to check out stethoscope.com, this is where I ordered mine from and they seem to have pretty good prices.

I have a Cardiology III, and I love it...but I don't like using the bell as the pediatric head (I think it alters my sound quality)....I hope to get a pediatric stethoscope some day.

I ordered one from allheart.com...

You can stall your folks, but telling them you want to listen with a bunch...I think you'll find one you like best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of a repeat of what I said on the pre-vet forum.

I like my Littman Master Cardiology and won't use anything else but an Ultrascope, if I can help it. Nothing else sounds as clear to me (but I have bilateral hearing loss).

My parents bought me a Littman Master Classic II... They called the doctor I currently work for and asked for his opinion. He recommended a cheaper model, but my parents wanted to spoil me a little more I suppose. Anyways, the vets at the office are jealous that I have it, lol. I've only used it to listen to my own heart/lungs/gut sounds and my horse's. I like it though.

One of my mentors bought me this same one. I do know it's specifically recommended by Va-Md to first-years, but I personally don't know how good it is. However, I'm stoked that it's a gorgeous shade of red. I've also attached a dog-tag from Petsmart with my contact info to it. :laugh: Seriously though, the mentor is a DVM and I trust she's picked out a good one. Guess we'll find out!

eaglemeag said:
I've also attached a dog-tag from Petsmart with my contact info to it.

I use this form of ID as well. I bought the heart-shaped tag (pink) and had my name engraved on it. I love it (heart -> stethoscope, get it?).

I'm seriously considering an ultrascope for various reasons, but I'd really like to know if anyone else uses them (and for what) and/or what the opinions are.

Thanks!

HorseyVet said:
I'm seriously considering an ultrascope for various reasons, but I'd really like to know if anyone else uses them (and for what) and/or what the opinions are.

Thanks!

Personally, I don't like the Ultrascopes. To me, they're bulky and heavy to carry around all day. I felt that there was always a lot of interference when compared to my Littman or some of the WA scopes that I've used. I just wasn't thrilled with the sound quality. There's no option of having a dual head so you have to invest in both if you want a ped and adult. Just personal preference, but I think some of the designs are kind of tacky, too. A Welch Allyn will probably be my next investment. I know some people really like the Ultrascope but they aren't right for me.