Stethoscope: Littmann Classic II S.E.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DefyGravity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year vet student looking to get a stethoscope, specifically a Littmann. I was originally looking at the Littmann Cardiology III, but at $140, it's almost cost prohibitive for me. The Classic II S.E., on the other hand, is only about half that price.

Does anyone here have experience with the Classic II S.E.? If so, would you recommend it, or no? Would anyone recommend a different model than these two? I'd like to keep it under $100, but I don't want to buy a useless stethoscope.

I know there are other stethoscope threads around here, but all the stethoscope threads I've seen have basically turned into a big Welch Allyn vs. Littmann debate, and I need advice on specific Littmann models. Thanks for putting up with more stethoscope questions! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to try them and see what you think. I've used both and can't hear a difference. They are both well made and neither would be "useless". But it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it only matter what works for you.

Trying them out first is definitely a must. Most medical uniform stores have tend to have at least a small selection, or if you live anywhere near a vet school or med school, the university book store may carry them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you absolutely need to try them out - even the angle and weight might make a difference. I had a Classic II when I was a student, and upgraded to a Cardiology after I graduated. Not only were the economics better, I don't think I could appreciate the difference between the two when I was a student. As I got better, I needed and could appreciate better equipment.

I have a Classic II pediatric and love it. It's cost effective, lightweight, and I can hear everything without a problem. I can't comment on its usefulness for LA, but for SA it definitely meets my needs.

However, I would add a caveat: I was a music major in undergrad and therefore have a better developed ear than average. It's very possible that this might let me get better results than would be expected with a lower quality stethoscope. YMMV.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I went to try a few different stethoscopes out today, and was told about MDF stethoscopes (particularly the Classic Cardiology model). It felt/sounded fine to me, so I'm thinking of going with that, unless the general consensus is that MDF is bad or something.

For what it's worth, the cardiologist at AVC recommends the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite ...