Opinions - K9 Advantix II vs Seresto vs Bravecto

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey DVMs - looking for opinions. Searched, but it was only solitary posts. Our dog is an only pet in a suburban neighborhood, bordering agricultural, but he never goes in the woods (ever). Never had a tick on him. The dog is a rescue, and we've had him 2.5 years, and he'll be 3 in July. He's mostly Jack Russell, with some beagle and maybe rat terrier (with overlap, of course, between the JRT and rat terrier). He's smooth coated, short hair, sheds a lot, and is 19lbs. Healthy otherwise, and fully vaccinated.

We use the K9 Advantix II, and my wife religiously applies it on the 9th of every month. We can clearly see that Mickey (the dog) doesn't like the tingling, but he can't get to it to lick it off. However, he's bug-free.

All that said, gimme opinions - Bravecto, Seresto, what we're doing, or something else? What works now is working, but, is there something better? Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

We've always used either Advantix or Frontline and have had no problems. I'll be honest in that I don't know too much about the newer ones - that's what happens when you're out of clinical practice for so long I suppose, can't keep up with all the new stuff :oldman:

Reactions: 1 user
We've always used either Advantix or Frontline and have had no problems. I'll be honest in that I don't know too much about the newer ones - that's what happens when you're out of clinical practice for so long I suppose, can't keep up with all the new stuff :oldman:

In my area, we see a lot of resistance issues with Advantix. May not be an issue in your particular environment, but around here I recommend Bravecto, Nexgard, or Seresto.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually recommend the orals (Bravecto or Nexgard) - great efficacy and good safety.

In FL, we have a ton of issues with resistance (though Merial won't call it that regarding frontline). I have seen failures with advantage products, frontline, comfortis/trifexis, and the cheap OTC products. I haven't seen issue with Bravecto, nexgard, seresto, or activyl (topical).

Seresto is great for ticks. If your main concern is fleas, Bravecto or Nexgard would be my choice. Saves you from having to mess with a topical as well. Remember to use something for heartworm protection as well (which should also cover most intestinal parasites). That's something like Trifexis, Sentinel, Heartgard, Iverhart Plus... Interceptor...

Want to add one for Nexgard. I live in the northeast and take my dogs hiking. Daily my dogs run through my hay field and surrounding woods. For reference, my parents dog in the exact same environment (minus the hiking) tested positive for lyme, ehrlichia, and anaplasmosis.
I have found zero live ticks or fleas on either dog for 2 years now, and only 1 dead one on the tip of my dog's ear. Tested my girl last year after the fall and she was negative for the tick borne diseases as well.
I honestly can't believe how well it works.

Reactions: 1 users
Seresto is great for ticks. If your main concern is fleas, Bravecto or Nexgard would be my choice. ...

Seresto has been fine for fleas also for me. Midwest and east coast, on my 5th? collar now. It's my favorite preventative because I'm lazy and like the 8 month option.

Bravecto is my absolute favorite! One of our sheep dogs spent a lot of time outdoors in a very tick infested area. I would be pulling them off of me like crazy, but she never got one! Sometimes I wish they made Bravecto for people

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app