Stereotyping vs. fundamental attribution error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While driving to class last week, Charles was cut off by someone driving a big truck. If Charles's reaction falls prey to the fundamental attribution error, how would he react?
A) Sigh and blame his own poor driving for the close call
B) Get upset and state that big truck drivers are all jerks
C) Curse the other driver and place the blame on the fact that the other driver is inconsiderate and a terrible driver
D) Tap the brakes and look for an obstacle in the other driver's lane; surely there must be some situational reason to cause him to change lanes so suddenly

Answer is C and I understand why. I also see that B constitutes stereotyping. When I compare choices B and C, B seems like a BROADER versoin of C - so would it be right to say stereotyping is a broader version of fundamental attribution error? And if that's true, why isn't B the answer?

Members don't see this ad.

The fundamental attribution error is when we put an undue emphasis on internal motives rather than considering external motives. In this case, Charles gets cut off and he thinks the other person is inconsiderate/terrible driver. This is the opposite of a situation attribution where Charles might have considered the idea that this truck driver was in a hurry to the hospital or something like that. B is a steretotype, a rigid belief about a group of people. Paying attention to the question stem helps answer this question easily. But to answer your question about fund. att. error vs stereotype, I think it would be smart for you to consider them as two different things. Read answer C, does any part of that sound like a stereotype? I believe the answer is no. Charles is just jumping to the conclusion that the driver himself is inconsiderate. In some cases it almost seems like a stereotype is NOT a fundamental attribution error. For example, if you claim that all truck drivers are jerks, this takes the focus away from internal motives (which is what the fundamental attribution error relies on) and places the focus on something external (being a part of the group "truck drivers"). Careful attention will show that B is not a broader version of C. C doesn't even speak about truck drivers.

The fundamental attribution error is when we put an undue emphasis on internal motives rather than considering external motives. In this case, Charles gets cut off and he thinks the other person is inconsiderate/terrible driver. This is the opposite of a situation attribution where Charles might have considered the idea that this truck driver was in a hurry to the hospital or something like that. B is a steretotype, a rigid belief about a group of people. Paying attention to the question stem helps answer this question easily. But to answer your question about fund. att. error vs stereotype, I think it would be smart for you to consider them as two different things. Read answer C, does any part of that sound like a stereotype? I believe the answer is no. Charles is just jumping to the conclusion that the driver himself is inconsiderate. In some cases it almost seems like a stereotype is NOT a fundamental attribution error. For example, if you claim that all truck drivers are jerks, this takes the focus away from internal motives (which is what the fundamental attribution error relies on) and places the focus on something external (being a part of the group "truck drivers"). Careful attention will show that B is not a broader version of C. C doesn't even speak about truck drivers.

Makes sense. Thanks