Step II and Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
my advice ... don't waste your time. Take Step II after you apply and don't bother studying.

If a program uses Step I as a cut-off, stellar Step II scores are not going to change that. If your "only weakness" is a 220 Step I score, you are in good shape (see recent thread or NRMP stats). You also run the risk of getting a low Step II score, which won't help.

Use the 4 weeks to relax, vacation, or if you must- start a small clinical rad. onc project.

I completely agree. Even if you smoke it, I doubt it will add very much to your application. Using that month to get one of your research projects pushed through to submission, or even (as suggested above) using the time to relax and enjoy some free time before the hell of intern year begins, these would be more worthwhile IMHO. Relax about the step 1 score..there is nothing you can do about it at this point. There will be programs that will screen you out based on that..but an average step 1 score does not eliminate you from the pack as it would in other competetive fields (derm, plastics). You will still get interviews, if you are a good interviewer and also have good research experience, I tend you think you still have an excellent shot of matching into radiation oncology. Good luck!

I had a similar issue last year. I decided to retake it. I was told be my PD at my med school that I should shoot for 240 or better if I want to have a chance of demonstrating my 220 was not representative of my abilities. I retook it and did well. I ended up matching, so it worked out for me. But had I got another 220, I'm not sure how that would've looked.