Social Media and Rad Onc - A tightrope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ll also point out -

The employer of Todd’s that was called - there is no way anyone would know where he works - there is no evidence of his association with them. Only someone that has spoken with him and knows this would be able to find this out. Mayo would not have been able to find this by looking at tweets, SDN messages or Google.
Visible on theMednet?

Initially, it was supposed to be with The Accelerators with Spraker and Beckta doing a "pre game" on the excitement about benign treatment. There was also going to be the world expert on cardiac SBRT (the two of us were going to be the main educational act). A few weeks before the event, this expert said he couldn't do it. I asked about other dates because I'm flexible - it wasn't about the date, he just couldn't do it (seemingly with me .. or us.. b/c it has been rescheduled for another date, lol). So, because of who the panel had on other than this person, the residents lost out on hearing about that as part of the program b/c of some unidentified issue with the people on the panel. Once I figured out what was happening, I offered to sit this one out - anyone can get my LD-RT for OA spiel by DMing me or emailing me or texting me and then giving me a call - have done this dozens of times - worldwide. To have the one person who does cardiac SBRT is far more important to me - especially in showcasing it to young doctors.
This will be similarly chalked up to a 'misunderstanding', just as everything bad that happens to or with you guys is... No way to prove it's not!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@RealSimulD thanks for sharing all that info. definitely good to shed light when possible.

I will only say - I have previously known where Dr. Todd S works from google. It is available when you search, not that hidden in my view/experience.

but that is besides the point really

and too bad about the cardiac sbrt expert. I have only ever heard good things about him, so that is sad to hear.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@RealSimulD thanks for sharing all that info. definitely good to shed light when possible.

I will only say - I have previously known where Dr. Todd S works from google. It is available when you search, not that hidden in my view/experience.

and too bad about the cardiac sbrt expert. I have only ever heard good things about him, so that is sad to hear.

I reached out for an explanation but was just told that it is "complicated". This was a couple weeks ago. Given my prior relationship with this person, Im pretty surprised and disappointed, but also in hindsight and after thinking this over more, I'm kind of not surprised.

I just want to corroborate Simul's story and to add that I personally dropped out of the session because it isn't what I signed up for and I didn't appreciate the attempt to hide what happened. I put a lot of thought into The Accelerators and care about the shows we plan enough to get frustrated when people try to change them off the cuff for unclear reasons.

FWIW I think ROVER is a great resource for trainees and think ACRO is doing a good thing supporting these de-centralized education efforts. They are important. I hope they continue to be well supported.

Hopefully at some point this kind of behavior will become unacceptable in our field because it is making me want to avoid collaborations. Right now it seems like the norm among certain types of ROs.

Reactions: 4 users

Are you sure the job you are finding on google is the job we are talking about?
Trust me, not findable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
This thread is example #1135 that rad oncs in America need to be busier in the clinic

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Look, what are we supposed to do if everyone is on 1, 5 or god forbid even 16 fractions these days?

I mean, one can only read so much reddit and CNN.