Step II and Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wub

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are board scores in the fellowship application process? If I bombed my step II but want to go into cards or GI, would it have a negative impact?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be another reason for programs to consider not interviewing you, depending on the size and strength of the applicant pool. The strongest indicator of success in fellowship is not the absolute numbers but consistent strong performance. High test scores alone don't predict success in fellowship, esp if coupled with mediocre on the job performance. You should make a point to bring you work and academic performance to the next level....and make them overlook your Step 2 blunder.

Your performance in residency is going to have a huge impact on whether or not you get a fellowship. If you do really well as a resident and impress the attendings you will have strong lor's.
Your perfromance in residency is much more important than a high step 2 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks forall the input. I guess the center of my question is that I know a high score won't carry you into fellowship, but would a low score preclude me from the competitive fellowship programs? Sort of like being handicapped right from the start of residency?

I don't think that anyone can give you a definite answer. It depends on the program and how they evaluate you. Gastroenterology is competitive but not as competitive as cardiology. I know a guy who was a fmg and had a high score on step I but not on step II and he is now doing a cardiology fellowship. However, he was probably the best IM resident in the hospital.
It really depends on how well you do in your residency and your lor's. Some of the attendings that you work with might have a very solid realtionship with a PD and that might be yout ticket to getting a competitive residency. Do well in residency and impress the attendings.