Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moxley25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been using some of my abundant MSIV free time to study for step 3 so that I can get it out of the way prior to starting this June (and also in an attempt to combat "4th year stupor"). I just realized, however, that step 3 will not be covered by HPSP - thus my question is, what is the earliest that I can take step 3 and what is the process for reimbursement of stuff like this once in FYGME? Could I take it in May -June and be retrogradely reimbursed, or do I need to take it after the date on my yet-to-be-orders? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While most do opt to take the exam at some point in their internship year, this is not a requisite to sit for the exam. The only restrictions are (assuming you are not an FMG): 1. that you have graduated from medical school and 2. that you have passed both steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS). You can, in fact, take the exam immediately after graduation.
http://www.fsmb.org/pdf/USMLEStep3_bulletin.pdf

Moxley25 said:
While most do opt to take the exam at some point in their internship year, this is not a requisite to sit for the exam. The only restrictions are (assuming you are not an FMG): 1. that you have graduated from medical school and 2. that you have passed both steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS). You can, in fact, take the exam immediately after graduation.
http://www.fsmb.org/pdf/USMLEStep3_bulletin.pdf

fair enough, but i'd much rather enjoy my 4th year than study for something else. good luck, though.

Moxley25 said:
I have been using some of my abundant MSIV free time to study for step 3 so that I can get it out of the way prior to starting this June (and also in an attempt to combat "4th year stupor"). I just realized, however, that step 3 will not be covered by HPSP - thus my question is, what is the earliest that I can take step 3 and what is the process for reimbursement of stuff like this once in FYGME? Could I take it in May -June and be retrogradely reimbursed, or do I need to take it after the date on my yet-to-be-orders? THANKS

We get reimbursed for Step 3? I didn't think we did, but it would be nice if that were true.

Sorry, no reimbursement for Step 3, though you can claim it as a professional expense if you itemize your deductions. Also, when you sign up for Step 3 you have to select which state you want to take the exam for. 3 states charge you extra money, and many of the states won't let you take it until you've been an intern for a certain period of time. For example, many people get licensed to practice medicine in the state of Indiana, but to take step 3 Indiana requires you to have completed 6 months of internship. Fortunately the state you take the test for has no bearing on getting licensed in the future, so I have no idea why it is set up that way.

You will not get reimbursed for step 3 from HPSP or the residency program that you are with. With regards to Step 3, many states (such as Texas) require no internship for taking the test. However, it is near impossible to sit for the test within the first 6+ weeks after graduation because of intrinsic delays in the verification proceedure. If you would like more explanation on this, there is a thread under the Step 3 forum that discusses the topic of taking step 3 after graduation but before intership.