Air Force HPSP 3 year GMO question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scribe4Life

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably owing mostly to my late submission, it's looking based on the threads I've seen so far here like I didn't make the AF 4-year HPSP list this year. As soon as I can get back in touch with the recruiter, I'm going to talk to him about transitioning my packet into a 3-year HPSP application. I was originally going into this whole thing with the goal of Med school > residency > payback, but I was fine with the possibility of doing 4 years of GMO then GTFO instead. Given the reduced payback associated with the 3-year HPSP (assuming I even get it), would it be worth it to voice intent for being a GMO rather than prioritizing an earlier residency? For context, I'm currently aiming for EM, but I acknowledge that I'm just a pre-med EM scribe that doesn't know much of anything.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably owing mostly to my late submission, it's looking based on the threads I've seen so far here like I didn't make the AF 4-year HPSP list this year. As soon as I can get back in touch with the recruiter, I'm going to talk to him about transitioning my packet into a 3-year HPSP application. I was originally going into this whole thing with the goal of Med school > residency > payback, but I was fine with the possibility of doing 4 years of GMO then GTFO instead. Given the reduced payback associated with the 3-year HPSP (assuming I even get it), would it be worth it to voice intent for being a GMO rather than prioritizing an earlier residency? For context, I'm currently aiming for EM, but I acknowledge that I'm just a pre-med EM scribe that doesn't know much of anything.

Thanks for any advice!

Do not aim for GMO, especially if your intent is to 'GTFO' and/or not do a military career. From a clinical perspective, going GMO is as close to a complete waste of time as could be possible, especially after spending 4 years learning medicine and passing board exam after board exam.

If you just want to have your loans paid off, go civilian, forget HPSP (USUHS), complete your residency and apply to join the AF as an EM (or specialty of choice doc) via the FAP program. You'll have a lot more control over your destiny.

I've had friends exiled to Guam, Alaska and Egypt, far away from family, friends and significant others for up to 3 YEARS because they decided to GMO and 'GTFO.' If you don't want that to be you, why risk it? Go civilian and consider doing FAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently, if you want to do a GMO tour you will be given one. During your internship year you can let your detailer and specialty leader know that you want to do a GMO tour and get out (if that is still what you want at that time). You will likely be approved. Don’t play this card too early though because your preferences might change. As soon as a detailer hears “I want to do GMO” you will be penciled there and it is hard to get them to forget you said it if you change your mind. I would also leave out the part about wanting to get out. Best to keep this to yourself until it is actually time to get out. Veteran MilMed docs like people who are 100% committed to the cause and early desire to leave puts that in to question. You should also ask yourself why you are signing up in the first place. If you aren’t willing to make it a career then your motivations may be in the wrong place.

Caveat being a lot can change between now and your internship year. No guarantees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not aim for GMO, especially if your intent is to 'GTFO' and/or not do a military career. From a clinical perspective, going GMO is as close to a complete waste of time as could be possible, especially after spending 4 years learning medicine and passing board exam after board exam.

If you just want to have your loans paid off, go civilian, forget HPSP (USUHS), complete your residency and apply to join the AF as an EM (or specialty of choice doc) via the FAP program. You'll have a lot more control over your destiny.

I've had friends exiled to Guam, Alaska and Egypt, far away from family, friends and significant others for up to 3 YEARS because they decided to GMO and 'GTFO.' If you don't want that to be you, why risk it? Go civilian and consider doing FAP.

Exiled. Such an interesting choice of words.

Bottom line is you never know where you might end up. Mentally accept that you will be given the worst possible assignment for a GMO tour or first duty station. If you still want to sign up for the military then do it. If not, stay a civilian. Better to be a broke civilian than an unhappy MilMed physician.

Thanks a lot for your advice @militaryPHYS , I've been lurking for a while and I really appreciate how much effort you put into the forums. I'm going to think this over more and try to figure out what the best way forward from here is. As far as motivation, while I don't have any plan to work a full career in the military I still do feel a desire to serve in some capacity. I grew up with an army father and an air force stepfather living exclusively on or next to military bases and I think I may have been idealising military medicine based on how positive my experiences with the military as a whole have always been. Regardless, I'm going to look more into FAP vs 3-year HPSP. Once again, I really appreciate your posts.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to train straight through without limitation on your choice, but still want to have a good option to serve, then FAP is a good way to do it. Just realize that if you end up in something like PM&R or go full on crazy sub specialized like pediatric cardiothoracic surgery then you won't get picked up by the military because there is no job for you.

If you just want to get some military experience in general and want to do some things you can't really do as a civilian then HPSP 3 year commitment isn't a bad way to go. Go be a flight surgeon for 3 years and then get out.

Reactions: 3 users