USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Second day was May 21st for me. My permit just disappeared but no changes in my status on FSMB.

Reactions: 1 user
My permit link has been gone, and there is still no change to my status "approved". I am hoping for some evidence of a test score return soon.

Reading this thread from the beginning I see people got the status change on Tuesday. So tomorrow we'll be able to see if we passed or failed. Good-luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the status has changed to Expired and there is no link. I want to thank God for that and I hope that this means in have passed.

Well the status has changed to Expired and there is no link. I want to thank God for that and I hope that this means in have passed.

The text below does say
"Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application." Does suppose to change too?

Mine says:
Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.

So far I don’t see any link to reapply

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if this may change still at 8? I felt so bad leaving that ****ty test

You think there is more changing to occur between now and 8am. I also felt pretty darn bad leaving the exam. I am literally so excited right now. I better calm down and wait until after 8am then!?!

I also took it towards the end of my eligibility period and had the link disappear as soon as my eligibility ran out. This period was also my "extended" 3 month block, not the original. Status on FSMB site changed to expired today (said approved yesterday). There is a gray box at the bottom that says the following: "Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application." I don't see any links to reapply anywhere on the page. Does this mean I passed or does the trick not work if you did an extension?

Did you pass? Because this is what's happeneing to me today. I had an extension and the text still says that.

My status is expired too and it says: You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience, but NO LINK! this is helpfully getting to the end.

My status expired and says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."
Man, hope this means I passed.

Reactions: 1 users
My status expired and says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."
Man, hope this means I passed.
Haven't seen this "Trick" not work! We can't be the first ones. if you don't see a link to reapply and If a high score does not matter to you, then you don't have to wait until tomorrow to go and celebrate, cause you passed!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, the last thing to do is to wait until midnight and check on Candidate site for the score report. Right? This way we get the score before its emailed. Anyone have any additional information. And goodluck again!

So, the last thing to do is to wait until midnight and check on Candidate site for the score report. Right? This way we get the score before its emailed. Anyone have any additional information. And goodluck again!
I believe there is nothing else to do...just wait. For some reason this exam is giving me more nightmares than step 1, is pretty hard to predict how you did. The best of luck!!!

I believe there is nothing else to do...just wait. For some reason this exam is giving me more nightmares than step 1, is pretty hard to predict how you did. The best of luck!!!

Absolutely had my own fair share of sleepless nights. I just feel slightly reassured because I do not have a link. I just simply want to pass and I will happily move on with my life.

So, we should know at 12:01am EST right? Well, here we go!

Absolutely had my own fair share of sleepless nights. I just feel slightly reassured because I do not have a link. I just simply want to pass and I will happily move on with my life.

So, we should know at 12:01am EST right? Well, here we go!
I did not know about the 12:01...I was just gonna wait for the email. Thanks for the heads up.

Very nervous about this. Haven't been able to sleep. Who else is waiting till midnight?

My 2nd day was May 25th, first day was the 23rd. I hope I still get my results at midnight.

And yeah, same here. But I probably won't feel confident about it until I see the actual score report. Good luck to you!

Monday my permit link disappeared. Tuesday morning my Step 3 application status is expired with no link to reapply. Passed!! Now I have to wait for the score report.

Hi, anybody who expected result today and didn't receive it? Is there delay for this week also?

I read there was delay in report last week because of July 4th.

The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).
i hope it works for me.. waiting for my result.. fingers crossed.

it says your status has expired and you may start a new application at your convenience did i fail? no yellow button..

Thank man. I cannot find the permit anywhere on the NBME site, and my application on FSMB says the statement, "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." but there is NO link.
did you pass? mine says the same

it says your status has expired and you may start a new application at your convenience did i fail? no yellow button..
Same with me
From the previous posts, I figured that it means pass. If you do get the link then it’s the opposite.
I hope this works :|
Keeping my fingers crossed till midnight.

Same with me
From the previous posts, I figured that it means pass. If you do get the link then it’s the opposite.
I hope this works :|
Keeping my fingers crossed till midnight.
i hope everyone passes . . so scared.

Passed, Thank God!!, trick works. Congrats to everyone who did. Ciao Adios I'm done, USMLE :D

I took the test 8/6 and 8/7 (Mon and Tues). I'm on 24 hour trauma call right now so I thought I'd check and on the fsmb site my application has expired with no link to re-apply. My permit has also disappeared. Here's hoping to some good news on Wednesday!

Hi , me too my ststaus expired with no link on sunday !!!!!! , am worried to the top! am actually soo nervous , any input , and is this yellow button will appear ( hope not ) in last hours ? any one has any update

Got the email at 8am this morning central time. The trick works! I got a 217 and UWSA1 about 1 week before the test was 186