USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I took my exam on 8/17/17 and 8/20/17, Thursday and Sunday respectively. It's the 3rd week now and a Sunday. This was my second time taking it so I'm anxious about it. Confused about the report timing trick.

The link above "apps.nbme.org" is an invalid website.

On portal.fsmb.org/MyFsmb/ site, after I click Register for USMLE, it says --> Our records indicate that you have already taken the Step 3 exam. For information about your Step 3 exam, please log in to the candidate website or contact Customer Service. I don't know if this means anything or part of the trick but think I went to this link from a forum.

I went to the candidate website, and can not find a permit link. Is this good news? I looked at the link at about 700 pm (2 hours ago) and there was a permit link that said approved and changed to expired when I clicked on it. Now about 2 hours later, there is no link available, only a blank box.

Did I pass, to early to tell, or do I have to take it again?

Last edited:
I took my exam on 8/17/17 and 8/20/17, Thursday and Sunday respectively. It's the 3rd week now and a Sunday. This was my second time taking it so I'm anxious about it. Confused about the report timing trick.

The link above "apps.nbme.org" is an invalid website.

On portal.fsmb.org/MyFsmb/ site, after I click Register for USMLE, it says --> Our records indicate that you have already taken the Step 3 exam. For information about your Step 3 exam, please log in to the candidate website or contact Customer Service. I don't know if this means anything or part of the trick but think I went to this link from a forum.

I went to the candidate website, and can not find a permit link. Is this good news? I looked at the link at about 700 pm (2 hours ago) and there was a permit link that said approved and changed to expired when I clicked on it. Now about 2 hours later, there is no link available, only a blank box.

Did I pass, to early to tell, or do I have to take it again?
Well....did it work for you?

I took my test Dec 27/28. My FSMB status just expired, I don’t find the link to reapply. I really hope this trick is legit, as I felt like f**ked by train especially after CCS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's 12:19 a.m. on the 4th Wednesday after my exam (Dec 22) and my score just went up. My permit link was up on Monday (MLK day) but went down earlier yesterday (Tuesday) and the FSMB application expired with no link to reapply at the same time.

PASSED @ 221. Dead average, but all I needed was a pass. So happy!

Sayonara, USMLE!

My only advice to everyone... Review your stats, read through and practice ccs cases, and for goodness sake's DON'T INTUBATE ANYONE!

Gotta go to sleep. My patients are getting a sleep deprived but happy and licensable doctor tomorrow.

Last edited:
Permit link went down yesterday with no link to reapply.

Passed with 238

Super happy and echoing lockian when I say adios USMLE, won't miss you.

Trick worked for me. Passed with 218, a good drop from previous steps. CCS was my lowest(I’m FMG without residency, so...), and I thought if I didn’t pass this is why

Has anyone gotten scores recently? I know there is apparently a delay for “some” examinees but I’m not sure if it’s for everyone.

You may want to check the usmle site. I believe that they have said that there would be a delay in score reporting for those that took it in early 2018....good luck

Whooaaaa I didn't know anything about this trick before. My permit link is also gone. Guess that means it'll be this week(?).

Members don't see this ad :)
My permit link disappeared yesterday and my FSMB expired this morning, I don't see a link to reapply (though it says I can "begin a new application at [my] convenience", whatever that means...)

Last edited:
Mine too has expired, and saying that I can begin new application, with no link to reapply...........I really hope that this means that I have passed.. I don't need my score this week, I am not prepared mentally yet for that, I hope to pass and get this thing out of my life, It is so stressful especially after leaving the test center with uncomfortable feeling............

Best of luck to all of y'all :)

I've honestly never seen the trick not work

I have my day one on Thursday, any last minute tips? Starting residency in July, just need to pass...Thanks in advance

My status still says approved with a working link to a new application.

I assumed this is not a good sign.

I also took it towards the end of my eligibility period and had the link disappear as soon as my eligibility ran out. This period was also my "extended" 3 month block, not the original. Status on FSMB site changed to expired today (said approved yesterday). There is a gray box at the bottom that says the following: "Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application." I don't see any links to reapply anywhere on the page. Does this mean I passed or does the trick not work if you did an extension?

It disappeared right after I took the exam. I did mine literally on the last so days of the eligibility period.
Ah, is the reapply link new then?
i think so.
Good luck for you guys. I believe I have to prepare myself for the bad news.
The link is there on portal.fsmb
and dose take me to the application process

I w
Well, who knows, maybe we're wrong. Can you screenshot the link for future generations? I haven't seen one on any thread on SDN or elsewhere.
I would if I could. Now every time I clink on register it takes me directly to the application page.

My FSMB status has also now changed to "Expired," w/ the gray box below saying, "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." No "reapply" button. I'm hoping for the best. I felt horrible coming out of this Step. Best of luck to all.

Good luck everyone tonight. 5:40 hours to go, I could swear this anxiousness is the most effective laxative for any patient with constipation.......

Reactions: 1 users
My NBME permit link is gone too, also my FSMB page just says "Status: EXPIRED... Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." Just crossing my fingers now that test was annoyingly painful...

The score is out. The trick worked and unfortunately I didn't pass. My score was 195. I failed by one point only. It sucks.

congratulations to all who passed.

The score is out. The trick worked and unfortunately I didn't pass. My score was 195. I failed by one point only. It sucks.

congratulations to all who passed.

Sorry to hear man; wish you well on your second go-around

The tricked worked.....I passed......201 ! Best of luck to you all and hard luck to you if you didn't make it
Have a goodnight everyone

Thanks. Do you guys think its worth it to pay for score recheck ? its $80 I believe
Dude, that really sucks, I'm sorry.

As far as the re-check goes, how did your CCS performance pan out? In this day and age I feel like re-checks for standardized, MCQ computer-based exams have very little value. However, in this case, if your CCS performance was borderline/low, it MIGHT be worth a re-check at that point, since the actual scoring of that part is relatively unknown and might be subjective.

Maybe.

Does anybody know?

If your status on the FSMB website is "scored" without any links to reapply does that mean you passed?

Those of you that already passed, what does the status of your FSMB say when you go to the register page? thanks!

I also took it towards the end of my eligibility period and had the link disappear as soon as my eligibility ran out. This period was also my "extended" 3 month block, not the original. Status on FSMB site changed to expired today (said approved yesterday). There is a gray box at the bottom that says the following: "Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application." I don't see any links to reapply anywhere on the page. Does this mean I passed or does the trick not work if you did an extension?

Hi. I have a similar situation. I am expecting my score this coming Wednesday and I took my test at the end of an extension period. Situation is exactly as you described: status expired. but in the gray box just like you wrote. So I am curious how did it work for you? Thank you in advance

I found this change this morning:
You have an active registration:
    Expired
In gray box:
Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

No link to reapply. Does it mean I passed?

I found this change this morning:
You have an active registration:
    Expired
In gray box:
Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

No link to reapply. Does it mean I passed?
I hope so after going over many forums, bcz im expecting my score this Wednesday and im just like you, expired with no link to reapply
took exam on 26th+27th of march.

Worked for me. Third Sunday after my exam, my scheduling permit on NBME site disappeared around 1pm. The next day (Monday), my status on the FSMB changed from complete to expired status without a reapply link around 8am I think. Score report for a pass posted on NBME site on Wednesday AM at 00:00.

Can anyone confirm that if you don't have a reapply link it is 100% (or almost certain) that you passed. I have been compulsively refreshing the site as my permit disappeared yesterday (Sunday afternoon around 6 PM EST) and this morning the FSMB site has changed to expired without a reapply link (7:30 AM EST). I just want to put this test to rest! Good luck to anyone else expecting scores this week as well and to everyone with upcoming exams!

I don’t really get the “trick” but I took my test 4/14 any idea when I will hear back?

My eligibility period ended 4/30 so my permit has disappeared and there is no link to reapply on the candidate website—for what it’s worth.