STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how well you did on CK and if you just want to pass Step 3. You should be able to get by by reading your CK notes and doing Step 3 QBank if you had a high score on CK. If you didnt do well on CK then I would def go back and do CK QBank. CK QBank as you know has 2500 questions so you really have to ask yourself if your CK knowledge is up to par or not, so that you dont waste time doing questions when your knowledge is still good.

If you feel like your CK knowledge is weak, I would do the CK QBank again. Just manage your time wisely based on how you feel about your CK knowledge.

Def work hard on the CCS though. That is a must

Depends on how well you did on CK and if you just want to pass Step 3. You should be able to get by by reading your CK notes and doing Step 3 QBank if you had a high score on CK. If you didnt do well on CK then I would def go back and do CK QBank. CK QBank as you know has 2500 questions so you really have to ask yourself if your CK knowledge is up to par or not, so that you dont waste time doing questions when your knowledge is still good.

If you feel like your CK knowledge is weak, I would do the CK QBank again. Just manage your time wisely based on how you feel about your CK knowledge.

Def work hard on the CCS though. That is a must

Thanks for the input. My CK score was 235, and I do just want to pass Step 3. I'm reviewing my CK notes/charts, which is mostly info from UWorld.

I want to manage my time efficiently, so I think doing the CK Qbank may be taking away from time that could be used towards the Step 3 Qbank. And I agree about CCS.

Is the UWorld Step 3 Qbank an adequate resource for the MCQ's on Step 3 (excluding the random basic sciences stuff that you're not really going to study for)?

Last edited:
Then just study your CK notes and Uworld Step 3 for MCQ. Study basic science pharm, micro and pathophys for Day 1 out of First aid.

No need to do CK QBank if you just want to pass. If you do well on the CCS (graph performance bar in the higher performance), considering you got a 235 on CK, you are most likely going to pass with studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lean towards just Step 3 qbank. IF you've got copious amounts of free time, then it'd probably help to do both, but I think you'll be fine with just step 3.

Anyone know if the week waiting period for scores is 4 weeks from the first exam date or the second?
I took it on a Thursday/Friday, got my scores back on a Wednesday just shy of 4 weeks (so 3 weeks 6 days). I think Wednesdays are their release dates. So for some it might be over 4 weeks, for some it might be less than.

I appreciate everyone's input in this thread. I have a question regarding preparation for the exam.

I took CK in the spring of 2017, and I'm not a resident. So my clinical knowledge is a bit rusty. Should I repurchase the Step 2 CK Qbank on Uworld and start doing that as a review, or should I go ahead and start with the Step 3 Qbank?

Thanks.

IMO it's unnecessary to revisit CK stuff. I took CK in fall of 2015 and took Step 3 in winter of 2017 as a PGY-2, and in pediatrics so I haven't seen adult stuff in over a year and a half. Just did UWorld and got 230's.

Anyone know if the week waiting period for scores is 4 weeks from the first exam date or the second?

From the second day.

I took it on a Thursday/Friday, got my scores back on a Wednesday just shy of 4 weeks (so 3 weeks 6 days). I think Wednesdays are their release dates. So for some it might be over 4 weeks, for some it might be less than.

Yes for all Step exams they release on Wednesdays. It's always at least 3 Wednesdays after your test, but it's tricky to count them if you took the test on a Monday, Tues, or Wed because that first Wednesday doesn't count.

"Over the next few days I reviewed pharmacology just using the pharmacology section from Step 1 with drug mechanisms (not interactions or pharmacokinetics) as well as the drug tables from each section. This was MONEY on day 1. "

Dear alta91,

Did you use FA for the pharmacology review? Thanks very much.

A post for some of the low scorers out there!

PGY-1 AMG in a moderately busy TY year.

Step 1 - 214 ~8 weeks of studying
Step 2 - 229 ~10 weeks of studying

Was pretty nervous about studying for Step 3 as I knew intern year would be busy, but I really wanted to get it done in December so that I could focus on beginning to study for my primary specialty and getting involved in some other research projects. I had 12 weeks of floor medicine (65-70 hours), 4 weeks of ICU (80 hours) 2 weeks of nights, and 6 weeks of electives from July until December. I started going over material slowly by doing uWORLD and reading the Medbullets website in June. I personally just like the layout of the medbullets website, and I found they had more information than Master the Boards. I would just chip away at the material doing questions and reading whenever I could when it was quiet on the floors or for an hour or two after I got home. There were some weeks when I definitely didn't get to anything.

About 4 weeks prior to my test, I finished uWORLD except for the statistics part and making notes on it in a google doc. I reviewed my notes from this some. Overall, I found that uWOLRD tended to focus some kind of esoteric details. I think I ended up with 64% on untimed tutor mode, random, but I tried to make it a point to finish each question within 90 seconds or so. I didn't do any statistics until 4 weeks prior when I purchased the uWORLD supplement and reviewed it and did the stat questions in uWORLD. I spent a long time on this because of how much people have stressed about biostats on day 1. The four weeks prior to my test, I also scheduled the lightest rotation possible (3-4 day work week) and would spend 8-10 hours a day studying.

At the four week mark, I also started going over the CCS cases slowly in the uWORLD software. I started with the non interactive cases, and would write out my orders in a separate word document and test myself to see how many orders I would get right. For every three or four non-interactive cases, I would do one interactive case. Generally, if a case seems really complex within the software, its probably more complex than what will show up on the test. I made it through all the cases once prior to day 1. I rented a copy of "Crush CCS, " but ultimately thought it was kind of useless because most of the cases are just the same as what are in the uWORLD software with a handful of additions.

One week prior to the actual test, I took the uWORLD self assessment and scored a 201. I had told myself that as long as I broke 200 I would take the test, but being that close to failing really freaked me out. Over the next few days I reviewed pharmacology just using the pharmacology section from Step 1 with drug mechanisms (not interactions or pharmacokinetics) as well as the drug tables from each section. This was MONEY on day 1. There was quite a bit of pharm on day one of my test and just going through these pages twice netted me some great points. Reviewed incorrects where I could.

I was still pretty freaked out and almost pushed my test date back three months to when I could take it again. Still, I decided to push through and see what happened. Mental preparation was really important!!! I realized the day before my test I had to go into this like how whatever superstar musician/athlete/scientist/whatever thinks going into a huge event. Essentially, Tom Brady doesn't walk into a football game thinking "We're gonna lose." He thinks "We're gonna crush em'," and that's the same attitude I applied towards this test.

Day 1 didn't feel terrible to me. There was one drug ad per block which I consistently saved until last. I finished each block without the drug ad with 10 minutes to spare, and had plenty of time to review incorrects. There were some two part questions where I got the first part wrong, and that does mess with your head some. Don't let it. There were maybe 3-4 biostats questions per block, but none of it was too crazy. Most of it seemed pretty straightforward, and I actually felt I had over-prepared in my approach with it. Honestly, it seemed like there was an equal amount of pharmacology for each biostat question, so really do make sure you prep for that. In addition there was the usual amount of weird ethics questions and a fair smattering of general medicine. I wasn't sure how these questions really differed that much from day 2. I finished feeling reasonably okay about that day.

I had one day off between day one and day 2 which I was really glad for. I had to work part of the day, but reviewed ALL of the uWORLD CCS cases the evening after the test into the next day. This made me feel pretty good, but was only really somewhat useful as far as learning for the exam.

Day 2 felt much longer than Day 1. Day 2 questions are pretty much just like IM/EM shelf questions. Nothing was too surprising. No biostats, no ethics, just a little pharmacology. CCS was way harder than uWORLD and I felt like only 5-6 of my 13 cases really went the way I wanted. I wished I had re-read a copy of casefiles EM as there were some EM Cases on there I had no idea how to manage as I hadn't seen them. Felt like I was guessing, and flying by the seat of my pants quite a bit. Forgot to put in a fair amount of counseling, and only got one case accidentally. Nobody died, but one case never did get better no matter what I did! Walked out of the 2nd day feeling like I could have failed, gotten a 5th percentile score, or scored right where I had on my other exams.

After waiting four weeks (New Years delayed me by a week), I was pleased to see the Step 3 trick still worked! Results out on Wednesday at midnight and.....

225! For the first time on any USMLE I was average!!!! I'm still BEYOND THRILLED!
All stars above borderline on Day 2 mcq and CCS
Most stars borderline Day 1. Whatever....

Parting thoughts

-I reviewed some biochemistry and glycogen storage diseases for Day 1. This was absolutely wasted time. Focus on pharm (it was my highest subject actually).
-I reviewed alot of oncology using medbullets. This was also wasted time. I didn't have one any crazy gyn cancers, bone cancers, breast cancers, AML, ALL, CML, CLL or lymphomas on my exam
-Infectious disease questions seemed pretty basic. Much less intense than what I remember reviewing for my shelf exams.
-Felt like there was alot of general management of a wide number of basic disease. I found that if it the teaching point seemed crazy convoluted in uWORLD, it really didn't show up on the test.
-Don't freak out over the uWORLD self assessment

Message me for any other questions!

"Over the next few days I reviewed pharmacology just using the pharmacology section from Step 1 with drug mechanisms (not interactions or pharmacokinetics) as well as the drug tables from each section. This was MONEY on day 1. "

Dear alta91,

Did you use FA for the pharmacology review? Thanks very much.

Yes! Just "First aid for USMLE step 1"

Considering the amount of lurking I've done over the years, I figured I'd finally contribute for future lurkers.

I'm an MD-PhD so the amount of time in between tests can get rough (I took 8 years total to graduate). I've learned, and forgotten, and re-learned things so many times at this point that it's ridiculous. So, for people in my position looking for experiences:

Step 1: 260+
- this was after two years of the old school curriculum with M1 being basic science and M2 being pathology, then with a 4-week "crunch month"
Step 2: 250+
- this was 5 years after I took Step 1 in the fall of my M4 year, I had finished all core rotations and scored above average on most shelf exams (not top-tier or anything as far as I remember), I finished about 50% of UWorld and messed around with First Aid and stuff (don't remember my UWorld average though)
Step 3: 220+
- I took this in the middle of my PGY2 year (intern year in medicine, residency in RadOnc), ~8 years after Step 1
- again finished about 50% of UWorld, averaged about 55-65% on my test blocks which put me in the dead average 45-50th percentile, per UWorld
- did either 30/40 or 40/50 of the UWorld CCS cases (can't remember the total right now, I know I didn't use 10 or so of them)
- messed around with First Aid again

As has been repeated over and over, CCS is very important. I'm pretty good at multiple choice standardized exams (I'll be honest, I kinda like them...) so when I confirmed that I was performing pretty average on that part in UWorld I didn't feel like finishing the QBank. CCS confused me tremendously at first, so I spent more time on that. In the week before I took the exam I basically just did the UWorld practice CCS cases.

I would probably have been better served not waiting until I was like, 3/4 of the way through PGY2 but I wasn't willing to sacrifice any of my time off last year to take an exam (it was a fairly rigorous prelim year). Also, I found it very hard to motivate myself to study, because unlike Step 1 it didn't matter if I got a 196 or 296.

Take home advice:
1) CCS = important, duh
2) If I could do it all again, I wish I had studied at the end of M4 and taken it at the beginning of residency. I would have been closer to taking all those shelves and Step 2 and stuff and probably would have remembered more. At this point (again, 8 years removed from Step 1) MANY of the questions felt like "oh yeah, I know I used to know this, oh well!" and it was frustrating.
3) As many people have said, I didn't feel great walking out of that test center, but it turned out OK

TL;DR
UWorld test block average 55-65%, 45-50th percentile, actual Step 3 = dead average score in the 220s

Props to UWorld for being so accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, long time lurker. PGY1. Promised myself I’d post after stalking the threads for so long.

Step 1-3 260’s.

Resources: UWorld – 70’s. Uworld CCS written and interactive. Skimmed OB, GYN, and Peds in MTB3.

Test Impression: Let me start by saying that this Step left me with a horrible feeling, one I had yet to experience. I spent the last two months reading forums daily and ruminating over all the questions I remembered and in a constant state of anxiety if I would pass (which I know “typical SDN” post, and in hindsight will seem ridiculous and annoying).

Day 1: Step 1-esque material was broad but high-yield stuff (ie. drug mechanisms/receptor, anatomy, histology). Just relied on prior knowledge for these and made educated guesses, if had never heard of it I wouldn’t choose it. Ethics had ~3 easy and 1 super hard per block, always just went with what sounded friendliest. Biostats I had like half easy calculations and half interpreting/application (UWorld was plenty for this). Know the basic formula's and all study types, not just cohort vs case control. The rest were more Step 2CK next step type questions.

Day 2: MCQ are what gave me the most anxiety. A little more than 1/3 of the questions you’ll know what disease they’re getting at but get stuck between 2 answers because in real life you would do them at the same time. Marked 8-14 each block. CCS was fine, UWorld is exactly like it minus the buffer time on the real exam, so come in with a plan of what to order before each type of case and that will get you through. A few I had no idea based on H&P but with the typical emergency type orders you get the diagnosis.

Some general advice: Try and avoid looking up answers or googling percentage correct to pass. I did, but the curve must be generous. If possible, I would also avoid scheduling your test when there will be a score delay as the wait gnaws at you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is doing two passes of the UWorld MCQ's sufficient for the MCQ portion of Step 3? I'm a year out from taking CK and averaging around 55% on the first pass. I'm wondering how representative UWorld MCQ's are of the content on the actual exam.

Also, my anatomy/histology is pretty rusty. Is it best to just go with your gut or do I need spend time studying this? I'm just trying to be efficient with the time I have. I'm assuming there are very few of these questions?

And are UWorld's biostat q's good enough prep for the actual exam?

Last edited:
I saw a lot of 260+ stories on this thread when I was perusing it so I thought I'd give the perspective of a more average test-taker now that I have my score back. I'm one of those people who has to study more than others in order to get the same grades, but I do my best. Step I and II scores were both around the mean. Currently a PGY-I in a prelim medicine year.

Study method:
- Multiple choice: UWorld off and on over 3 months of busy rotations. Tried Master the Boards but couldn't really get into it. For stats (there's a lot of them...), the questions in the regular UWorld question bank plus the UWorld $25 biostats section is all you really need. If you want a little extra refresher, the First Aid for Step 1 section was a nice review.
- CCS: Highly highly recommend the UWorld CCS cases. I tried to do a couple per day in the month leading up to the test. I found the interactive cases to be more helpful with establishing my thought process for each case but the sample cases are definitely worth reading over too. DO ALL THE CASES.

UWorld Q-bank average: 62% on random untimed tutor mode, approached it as a learning tool rather than a test of my knowledge
UWorld Self-assessment (UWSA): 213, taken five days before test day :scared:

Actual test score: 235+ :naughty:

Final thoughts: Don't worry too much about your percent correct/percentile on UWorld and how that correlates to exam score. My percentile was like 45th (and that was even on untimed tutor mode) but my final score was significantly higher. They also really need to re-evaluate the scoring on the UWSA. I was freaking out after I took that practice test, especially with only a few days to cram before the real deal. Thankfully, it ended up not being a good predictor of my score. My advice would be to take the UWSA as a way to see more questions, but not as a predictor of your score.

GOODBYE USMLE!!!!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Did 85% of Uworld bank... score average 63%

UWSA 204 couple weeks out.

Real deal 240.

CCS is lenient, got above a borderline score with several big mistakes and running out of time on 9/13 cases.

For those who took the exam, how did you feel about timing in regards to the MCQ's? Are the questions longer/more time consuming than UWorld?

I figure with all the drug ads and biostats, timing might be an issue. I'm finishing timed Uworld blocks with about 8 minutes left.

Got my score this past Wednesday 4/11/18, exactly 3 weeks after my second day of testing. Checked this thread compulsively for reassurance and inspiration in the weeks before and after my test, so wanted to follow in the footsteps of those before me and give back by sharing my stats. My story is a bit long-winded, but as long as it helps someone out there, it was well worth the time to write.

Step 1: 217 PASS (minimum 192)
Step 2 CK: 197 FAIL (minimum 209)
Step 2 CK: 208 FAIL (minimum 209)
Step 2 CS: PASS
Step 2 CK: 248 PASS (minimum 209)
Step 3: 207 PASS (minimum 196)

UWSA: 185. Taken on 3/4/18; freaked out and pushed my test back from 3/12 and 3/14 to 3/19 and 3/21. Would've pushed it back farther, too, if my schedule and the powers that be would've permitted it, but was already testing the limits of deadlines set by the military and my residency program.

UWorld: 61% correct, 75% complete, 39th percentile in random untimed tutor mode. Spent 3 weeks working my way through the bank, including 1 week of PTO dedicated entirely to studying. Also did the UWorld Biostats add-on, which was very high-yield and doable. Went over 3/4ths of UWorld interactive cases and all of Crush CCS, which I highly recommend. Took extensive notes on UWorld that I never reviewed, lol. I'm currently an intern in Family Medicine, so that clinical experience definitely helped. However, I did find it challenging to carve time for studying out of my already packed schedule.

Step 3: PASS 207. Taken 2 weeks after UWSA. Based on my score report, I only passed because of CCS. Only about half of my cases ended early, but I still scored in the higher performance range. Agree that CCS must be lenient because I made several mistakes on test day, even on the easy cases. Wasn't sure how to treat one thing and never figured out what exactly was going on in another, but felt the rest of the cases were fairly straightforward stuff that I'd seen before. Day 1 and Day 2 MCQs spanned the borderline zone, with a couple of X’s in both the lower and higher performance areas. Felt pressed for time throughout the entire test and typically had to spend less than one minute on the last 5-10 questions in each block because I didn't budget my time well. Selected an answer choice for all questions, though. Like everyone else, I thought I failed walking out. Feeling like you failed or passed has little bearing on whether you actually failed or passed.

Background: I did not feel prepared enough to take this test when I did, but my hand was forced by deadlines so I took it anyway. I have taken tests when I was not adequately prepared in the past (note two failures on Step 2 CK following a breakup; ability to study effectively was impaired, but I took the tests before I was ready because I was trying to graduate on time). These attempts did not pan out in my favor. Needless to say, finding myself in a similar predicament yet again (sans breakup, haha) gave me a sickening sense of déjà vu. I'm going to be a hypocrite and strongly discourage anyone from taking any USMLE board exam if you aren't passing practice tests by a healthy 20-point margin (except Step 3 UWSA, just pass that sucker if you can) because life is a lot harder with one fail and you risk your entire career as a physician with multiple fails. I've been there. It’s terrible and terrifying. I graduated 3 months late and matched the following cycle to an excellent Family Medicine program, my top choice, but I know of others in similar positions who were not so lucky.

Prep Recommendations: I’m probably not qualified to give advice on studying for Step 3 given that I barely passed, but here I go anyway. Remember, do as I say, not as I do! ;) I’ll incorporate a few general strategies I used to improve my CK score to add credence to my Step 3 tips. If you performed well on board exams in the past, just do what you always do and you’ll probably be OK. If you’re someone who has struggled with board exams in the past, start prepping early and strive to do the following if time permits:

1) UWorld x2: Just get through it and read explanations on the first pass, then take notes on all wrong answers and marked correct answers you were unsure about on the second pass. Probably not a bad idea to do these in timed tutor on the first pass and non-tutor timed on the second pass. Agree with Sea Otter that questions should be approached as a learning tool. Time management is vital; shoot to spend no more than 90 seconds answering each question. Spend at least 3-5 minutes reviewing each answer; I averaged easily 10+ minutes on each answer, but I actually don't recommend dwelling for too long like I did because you won't make it through the entire bank. Be sure to spend 1 to 3 days reviewing notes prior to the test. Add MTB, Kaplan, etc. if you feel like you need to and have time, but who has time these days? UWorld is more reliable and detailed than either of these sources, so it makes more sense to know UWorld like the back of your hand than to spread yourself thin between several sources. The only time I would recommend using review books as anything more than an occasional reference is if you start studying several months in advance, want to build a strong foundation before embarking on questions, or just prefer the format of a particular book. Other than that, questions are where it's at.

2) UWorld Biostats: This was gold, definitely do it! I completed my first pass in one day by taking notes and Googling YouTube videos on foreign concepts, and I performed VERY well on the second pass after reviewing notes one week later. Would’ve killed Biostats on the actual test if time wasn’t a factor, but alas, time is always a factor.

3) UWorld CCS: Do both interactive and read-out practice cases. If I could do it all again, I would review the read-out practice cases and go through the scoring and time management sections of the interactive cases FIRST to familiarize myself with the orders and general strategy of CCS, THEN test myself by going through the interactive cases and manually inputting orders to compare my work with the rubric. I found the 10-minute cases to be the most challenging because I was strapped for time. UWorld CCS alone is enough to do well on CCS if you utilize it to the fullest extent. I personally found Crush CCS to be extremely helpful and read the whole thing in 2-3 days (an average resident could easily skim through in one day, but I take a bit longer). First 3 chapters are a solid intro to CCS, so this is a good place to start. Best thing I did was come up with personalized mnemonics to help remember what to order for each general complaint/scenario so I wouldn’t forget when under pressure.

4) Free practice CCS cases: I had planned on doing these the day between my first and second day to test myself and make sure I was comfortable with the software, but my laptop literally died in its noble attempt to download the cases. Fortunately for me, the format of UWorld CCS is nearly identical to the actual CCS, so the UWorld software alone was enough to make me comfortable on the real deal. At any rate, I would recommend the free cases even though I didn’t do them. Preparing for CCS is the best way to improve your score in a short period of time; it takes much more time and hard work to produce a comparative score increase with questions alone. Ideally, it’s best to be comfortable with both MCQs (75% of total score) and CCS (25% of total score), but reality is rarely ideal. Consider investing a little more tender love and care into CCS if you’re weak in MCQs and pressed for time. I have heard good things about the Archer videos and CCS cases d0t c0m (if you want practice with a scoring component, which UWorld does not offer), but I personally did not have time to use either of these resources. Might be a good idea for someone taking Step 3 before residency. Definitely don’t blow off CCS. At the very least, familiarize yourself with the software by practicing with the free cases like you would a new EMR.

5) Practice tests: Take either the UWSA or the NBME, or both if you feel so compelled. I can’t speak for the NBME, but the Step 3 UWSA is infamous for underpredicting scores. This is partially due to the fact that CCS is not taken into consideration (this also applies to the NBME). However, I suspect there may be issues with the scoring process of Step 3 UWSA itself. For instance, I read a post where someone scored higher than average on each of the four sections but was given a lower than average predicted score. It might be worth noting that I’ve personally met three other people who failed the UWSA and subsequently passed the Step 3 (one failed UWSA literally the day before his actual test and ended up passing Step 3 with a 210). That said, people who fail practice tests are much less likely to publicly report their scores if they fail the real deal. So take a practice test to gauge where you are and get exposure to more questions, but keep this info in mind when interpreting your score so you don’t lose your mind. You will likely never *feel* ready to take this test, but you can feel good about your odds if you complete UWorld at >60% correct on first pass (if not, a thorough second pass is definitely in order), spend 7+ days getting comfortable with CCS, and score a pass on UWSA.

6) SLEEP: If these tips were in any particular order, sleep would easily be #1. Managed to get 7 hours of sleep before each day of Step 3. Prior to my two fails on Step 2 CK, I got 3 hours and 1.5 hours of sleep, respectively, and was averaging 4-5 hours/night in the weeks prior. Prior to my third attempt, I prioritized sleep in the weeks leading up to the exam and even asked my doctor for a couple of Ambien (which I’d never taken before, so he prescribed #5 tabs so I could test it out the week before) because I was so desperate. Took it the night before my third attempt along with melatonin and Benadryl (didn’t care about the morning drowsiness, just wanted some shut eye) and managed to get 6 hours of sleep. Best thing I ever did. I don’t recommend all of that nonsense for the general population, and in retrospect I probably would’ve benefited from propanolol on the day of rather than sleeping pills, but the bottom line is that a good night’s sleep can be the difference between passing and failing if you’re close to the line. The medical profession seems to categorically undervalue the importance of sleep, and you’re doing yourself a major disservice if you fall victim to this mindset. Don’t skimp on sleep (or food, for that matter), before the test or in life. Your mood, attention span, cognitive abilities, and overall sanity are worth the time investment.

If you failed: It’s okay to feel devastated. Allow yourself time to cry and do whatever else you need to do to process what happened. Try to give yourself the same grace you would extend to a good friend. Failing does NOT mean that you’re somehow unfit to be a doctor. Remember that 2-4% of people who take the USMLE board exams are going to fail no matter what; the committee will continue to bump up the passing score as the average rises to cut out a small percentage of test-takers. A fail usually just means you took the exam before you were ready. Think of it this way: if a group of students were forced to take Step 3 on their first day of medical school, everyone would fail. But take those same individuals 5 years later and 97% of them pass. View yourself on that same continuum and have faith that your trajectory will eventually clear the mark. Choose to adopt a growth mindset and realize that you can expand your medical knowledge if need be to clear this hurdle with adequate preparation. If medical knowledge was not the issue, identify whatever was holding you back and address it head-on. After I failed CK the second time, one of my mentors told me that one day I would look back on this exam as a small hurdle that tripped me up a couple of times. He was right. So remember, your career is NOT over; all this means is that you have to pick yourself up and work harder than everyone else to get to the same place.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Step 1: 202
Step 2: 227
Step 3: 239
No UWSAs taken
UW%=78%

Spent about 3 weeks studying while on off service rotations during psych residency.

Took the exam nearly 3 years out from step 2 CK. Step1-2 were 250s. I took it 3/4 through intern year during a lighter rotation. I spent 4 weeks going through UWorld only and took a week off to study. I got through about 75-80% of the questions at 66% correct overall. No practice exams. I did review the uworld biostats notes I took from step 1-2 (including the $25 biostats package from when I took these exams, but did not repurchase it). Scores began in the 40-50% range which was worrisome. I hung out in the <10th percentile for a bit but then as I did more full, timed blocks on random my scores crept up and finished at 66th percentile. Scores ranged from 57-80% even towards the end. I think this is just because I had some knowledge gaps that I never got around to closing by reading a textbook which is how I did well on these exams previously. It had just been too long for me to still have mastery over certain topics I don’t think about daily - especially ID. Since the score didn’t matter for my future beyond a pass I just stuck to Uworld to pass.

For day 1, I felt like I took Step 1 with more stats and ethics. There were at least 10+ drug mechanism of action questions (2nd or 3rd level thinking) which I did not prepare for at all. I considered reading through FA prior to the exam to study this kind of stuff but I doubt it would have helped me much. There were one or two histology questions, one or two genetics questions, and other basic science topics that I can’t recall. The stats were very fair. My first block had 10 stats questions but the rest of my
Blocks had 1-2 stats questions and 1 or so drug ads. One thing that’s different in the real exam is that there are less multiple-part questions - usually 0-2 per block, and the ones that were multiple-part questions were usually drug ads. A difference from Uworld is that you could often go to the next question without locking in your answer for the previous question. There were some that required you to lock in an answer, however. The ethics were much more difficult than uworld. They always seemed to throw a wrench into an otherwise straightforward question and I was rarely super-confident in my answer choice. Not going to lie, day 1 did not feel good. It was not much like uworld overall aside from stats and some ethics questions. I think 30% of the questions were very difficult/things not covered by uworld at all. 50% I was able to get down to 1-2 answer choices and I felt like I often picked the wrong answer out of those 2. 20% I was fairly confident I answered correctly. The question stems were never insane but I did get down to the wire on most sections and had to put random answers for 2-4 on one block. Blocks ranged from 38-40 questions, which I think had to do with the number of drug ads in each block.

Day 2, as others have noted, was more similar to uworld. There were definitely a fair bit of “chose the most significant risk factor for X” and “what is the prognosis of X?” The question stems seemed shorter than uworld on this day. There were 30 questions in every block and fewer linked questions.

I did not touch the CCS until 4 days before the exam, which I probably would not recommend. I did 30 full interactive UWorld cases then read through about 10-12 more without doing the full interactive thing. In restrospect, I would have spent more time early on reading through the non-interactive cases. Definitely spend time getting to know the software, however - it’s a MUST. I didn’t realize the uworld software would feel different from the USMLE software, so I would download those free cases I wasn’t aware existed until after the exam - just to see how it’s different. I think I did very well on 9/13 cases, 3 were challenging but I more or less did the right things, and 1 case I had no idea what was wrong with the patient. Note, finishing the cases early adds break time. I had a few stars in the borderline region. Day 2 left me hoping for a pass. Overall, I just felt unprepared and wasn’t able to reason through as many questions as in prior USMLE exams.

Despite the feelings that I might have failed, I got in the 230-235 range. Not as good as my prior scores, but all I needed was a pass. It seems that Uworld was quite accurate - I think I was around the 60-65th percentile (based on the mean and SD) on the real deal and 66th on uworld. My highest section was Day 1, surprisingly (all stars outside of borderline). Day 2 and CCS has a few stars borderline. I guess if you don’t “need” a good score, just do uworld. If you want to crush it, it seems doing some supplemental studying might be in order (or maybe you’re a medicine resident that does this stuff daily).

Done with the USMLE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I thought I seriously failed this exam. Almost did
Step 1: 227 first time
Step 2 ck: 227 first time
NBME: 390 1 week out
USWA: 183 2 weeks out
Step 3 final score: 199

Im done with the exam. Thank god.

Ortho intern taking the exam nearly 3 years out from step 2 CK. Step1-2 were 250s. I took it 3/4 through intern year during a lighter rotation. I spent 4 weeks going through UWorld only and took a week off to study. I got through about 75-80% of the questions at 66% correct overall. No practice exams. I did review the uworld biostats notes I took from step 1-2 (including the $25 biostats package from when I took these exams, but did not repurchase it). Scores began in the 40-50% range which was worrisome. I hung out in the <10th percentile for a bit but then as I did more full, timed blocks on random my scores crept up and finished at 66th percentile. Scores ranged from 57-80% even towards the end. I think this is just because I had some knowledge gaps that I never got around to closing by reading a textbook which is how I did well on these exams previously. It had just been too long for me to still have mastery over certain topics I don’t think about daily - especially ID. Since the score didn’t matter for my future beyond a pass I just stuck to Uworld to pass.

For day 1, I felt like I took Step 1 with more stats and ethics. There were at least 10+ drug mechanism of action questions (2nd or 3rd level thinking) which I did not prepare for at all. I considered reading through FA prior to the exam to study this kind of stuff but I doubt it would have helped me much. There were one or two histology questions, one or two genetics questions, and other basic science topics that I can’t recall. The stats were very fair. My first block had 10 stats questions but the rest of my
Blocks had 1-2 stats questions and 1 or so drug ads. One thing that’s different in the real exam is that there are less multiple-part questions - usually 0-2 per block, and the ones that were multiple-part questions were usually drug ads. A difference from Uworld is that you could often go to the next question without locking in your answer for the previous question. There were some that required you to lock in an answer, however. The ethics were much more difficult than uworld. They always seemed to throw a wrench into an otherwise straightforward question and I was rarely super-confident in my answer choice. Not going to lie, day 1 did not feel good. It was not much like uworld overall aside from stats and some ethics questions. I think 30% of the questions were very difficult/things not covered by uworld at all. 50% I was able to get down to 1-2 answer choices and I felt like I often picked the wrong answer out of those 2. 20% I was fairly confident I answered correctly. The question stems were never insane but I did get down to the wire on most sections and had to put random answers for 2-4 on one block. Blocks ranged from 38-40 questions, which I think had to do with the number of drug ads in each block.

Day 2, as others have noted, was more similar to uworld. There were definitely a fair bit of “chose the most significant risk factor for X” and “what is the prognosis of X?” The question stems seemed shorter than uworld on this day. There were 30 questions in every block and fewer linked questions.

I did not touch the CCS until 4 days before the exam, which I probably would not recommend. I did 30 full interactive UWorld cases then read through about 10-12 more without doing the full interactive thing. In restrospect, I would have spent more time early on reading through the non-interactive cases. Definitely spend time getting to know the software, however - it’s a MUST. I didn’t realize the uworld software would feel different from the USMLE software, so I would download those free cases I wasn’t aware existed until after the exam - just to see how it’s different. I think I did very well on 9/13 cases, 3 were challenging but I more or less did the right things, and 1 case I had no idea what was wrong with the patient. Note, finishing the cases early adds break time. I had a few stars in the borderline region. Day 2 left me hoping for a pass. Overall, I just felt unprepared and wasn’t able to reason through as many questions as in prior USMLE exams.

Despite the feelings that I might have failed, I got in the 230-235 range. Not as good as my prior scores, but all I needed was a pass. It seems that Uworld was quite accurate - I think I was around the 60-65th percentile (based on the mean and SD) on the real deal and 66th on uworld. My highest section was Day 1, surprisingly (all stars outside of borderline). Day 2 and CCS has a few stars borderline. I guess if you don’t “need” a good score, just do uworld. If you want to crush it, it seems doing some supplemental studying might be in order (or maybe you’re a medicine resident that does this stuff daily).

Done with the USMLE!

Thanks for sharing your experience. How does the UWorld CCS software differ from the actual USMLE Primum software?

I thought I seriously failed this exam. Almost did
Step 1: 227 first time
Step 2 ck: 227 first time
NBME: 390 1 week out
USWA: 183 2 weeks out
Step 3 final score: 199

Im done with the exam. Thank god.

were you intern/in residency yet and what specialty? Also did you study full-time? I am seeing several similarities - however didn't do the test yet...passing would be just fine...

Thanks for sharing your experience. How does the UWorld CCS software differ from the actual USMLE Primum software?.

Just download the software from the NBME or USMLE website and see for yourself. It’s more little things for how the software functions but nothing egregiously different. I didn’t download the software ahead of time and don’t think it affected me. If you’re the kind of person that wants to have as little unknowns as possible leading into the test, just download the software and mess around with it.

How far apart did you take Step 2 and Step 3? Also, how did timing during the exam go for you?

I took step 2 in August of 2016 and step 3 in early Feb 2018. Timing was basically identical to step 2. I finished most blocks with <3 mins to spare but I never ran out of time. But I had way more than enough time for the CCS questions.

were you intern/in residency yet and what specialty? Also did you study full-time? I am seeing several similarities - however didn't do the test yet...passing would be just fine...
Yes I am a intern. I am not going to say which specialty. You should be fine though

Just download the software from the NBME or USMLE website and see for yourself. It’s more little things for how the software functions but nothing egregiously different. I didn’t download the software ahead of time and don’t think it affected me. If you’re the kind of person that wants to have as little unknowns as possible leading into the test, just download the software and mess around with it. .

Unfortunately, since I have a Mac, I can't run the software. Does anyone know how the Primum software can be run on a Mac?

Last edited:
Longtime lurker here posting my grain of salt of USMLE Step 3:

USIMG - PYI 1 IM
Step 1: 216
Step 2 CK: 228
-No attempts
Study for 2 months
MTB 3 read once
UWORLD x 2
1st pass: 59% (By System)
2nd pass: 79% Random/Timed
uWA #1: 207
uWA #2: 210
NBME 4: 450
Fred: 72%
For CCS, Did not used UWorld because it does not have grading system and feedback was way to much info, so I went and bought
ccscases.com software, they got 100 cases and all have very good Grading System & Feedback and also did 6 CCS cases of FRED.

REAL THING: 224 (1st time pass)

Step 1: 228
Step 2: 228 (Bad times)
Step 3: 231

Uworld average on untimed tutor first run: 67%
UWSA 1: 204 three weeks out
UWSA 2: 210 two weeks out
NBME form 4: 500 one week out

Preparation:
Over the course of 2.5 months. The first two months were VERY busy services, on average 75-90 hours per week. I took a vacation week off prior the week I wrote my exam and got some real studying in at that time.

UWorld x 1
UWorld CCS x 1.5
Crush Step 3 CCS X 1
First Aid Step 1: Just the pharmacology, and biostats
MTB Step 3 for Peds and OBGYN

Experience:
Day 1: Holy **** biostats! Seriously guys...BIOSTATS! For every single block I had AT LEAST 7-10 biostats questions. I would say the difficulty is generally about the same as Uworld, but there were also the totally WTF questions I had no idea about. Aside from Biostats, I thought the medicine questions were actually pretty straight forward for the most part. Difficulty level I would say is right on par with NBME 4. My exam did have quite a bit of basic science pharmacology and microbiology. DEFINITELY learn your mechanisms, side effects, and toxicities well. Microbiology was reasonable, and I would say its worth your time to make sure you know your "big bugs"...ie, when they tell you they found "budding yeasts", "gram positive cocci in pairs", "gram negative bacilli", etc... you should have a good idea of what they are talking about. Furthermore, just a quick glance at your staph/strep micro in detail may score you a couple questions.

Day 2: ZERO biostats. I actually found these medicine questions to be a little more challenging that Day 1. Just super obscure, nonspecific presentations. Often enough I found they would even leave critical vitals signs out of the question stem.

CCS: I scored well above borderline, but didn't get the "star". I COMPLETELY messed up two cases - one I still have NO IDEA what was wrong with the patient. The other was pediatric sepsis....I made such a point of it to draw blood cultures BEFORE starting antibiotics, that I forgot to order the antibiotcs! Eventually I caught on when it kept telling me "Patient is becoming more lethargic". Then it finally hit me LOL. Bottom line is you can afford to royally screw up a few cases and still do just fine. Make sure to capitalize on low hanging fruit - ie: diet orders; Ambulation; full physical AFTER your brief physical/initial emergency orders; IV access; counselling; if you start a statin make sure to get LFT's; ACEi get potassium levels etc..

You will walk out feeling like you got hit by a truck, but trust your preparation. UWSA seems to underestimate most people by 10-20 points. NBME 4 is definitely worth your time. I wouldn't skip it.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Step 1 250+
Step 2 270+
Step 3 246

Kaplan 70%
Uworld timed mixed unused: 76%
UWSA 1: 241 one week out
UWSA 2: 241 3 days out

Did anyone take Step 3 June 14/15th? Still haven’t gotten my score and getting really antsy about it. Thought it would have been up this morning but still no email and nothing on the site :/

Step 1 250+
Step 2 270+
Step 3 246

Kaplan 70%
Uworld timed mixed unused: 76%
UWSA 1: 241 one week out
UWSA 2: 241 3 days out
UW 69%
Step 3: 241

Seems like the sweet spot on UW is 65% to know you're going to do well. I'm currently sitting at 58% and super worried. Still have over 800 questions left. :(

Seems like the sweet spot on UW is 65% to know you're going to do well. I'm currently sitting at 58% and super worried. Still have over 800 questions left. :(

Actually, the sweet spot is about 55% on UWorld if you just want to pass. I know plenty of residents who barely got above 55% on UWorld and passed the exam. Keep in mind, the exam is made to be passed by residents in a variety of specialties who may not have come across adult medicine in quite some time. I think you'll do fine.

Actually, the sweet spot is about 55% on UWorld if you just want to pass. I know plenty of residents who barely got above 55% on UWorld and passed the exam. Keep in mind, the exam is made to be passed by residents in a variety of specialties who may not have come across adult medicine in quite some time. I think you'll do fine.

This is what scares me. I want/need to get >245.