STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ist it just me or is there a glitch in the uworld software when you try to advance the clock?
everytime i advance the clock by >24 hr i get ignored and the clock would only advance by "next avaiable results" or it would give me a "NaNaNa" error?

It will always stop at the next result and give you the option to check. This is a good thing. You shouldn’t actually be trying to advance the clock that much very often. Never occurred on my step 3.

Saw a lot of these posts while studying, and most of them made me more worried than I should have been, so wanted to post about my experience…

Background
Step 1: 246 (May 2015, 6 week dedicated studying)
Step 2: 257 (July 2016, 10 days dedicated studying)
Step 3: 243 (Oct 2017, 6 weeks part time during intern year)
Going into non-medicine advanced program and in a relatively chill prelim year. Wanted to get the thing over with early in intern year and not worry about it. A lot of these threads talked about using a ton of sources, and many of my categorical co-interns are studying super hard for it, so made me anxious about it.

I studied part time for 6 weeks. 4 of those weeks I was busy on wards, (studied maybe 1-2 hrs a day after work, and on the phone/under the table during rounds/noon conference lol) 2 weeks I was on light outpatient rotation (2-3 hrs of studying a day plus 2 weekends part-time). Finished uworld x 1 (overall percentage 65% first pass), all uworld CCS cases x 1 (both interactive and practice cases), and UWSA. Didn’t take any notes or anything. I did maybe half incorrects but stopped as I was getting 90+% and mostly just remembering the questions. A little less than 2 weeks out I took UWSA and got a 201 (average was 204. I got slightly higher than avg on each block so not sure why my score was slightly below avg). Regardless, it made me worried as I had already finished most of uworld, but I decided to leave test date as is. I just kept reminding myself that pass rate is like 97% for US MD first takers. I thought UWSA was hard, timing was an issue for me (which has never been the case in previous tests), and just weird questions overall—I wouldn’t even recommend taking it. I crushed through the CCS cases the week and a half leading up to the test, and the night before the test reviewed first aid for step 1 stats for about an hour.

Day 1: Very heavy on stats and ethics. About 10-12 questions per block were either stats or ethics. All the stats was very doable/basic--nothing more than uworld or what is in first aid step 1 stats (relative risk, hazard ratios, confidence intervals, Sensitivity/specificity, positive/negative predictive values, drug ads/abstracts, etc). What I did is save all the stats questions til the end, which I highly recommend since they take up more time than the others. For me, the ethics were extremely challenging and not straightforward at all (definitely hardest section for me), but I also found ethics on step 1 and 2 difficult. A lot of informed consent in pt’s below 18, a lot of “how would you respond,” reporting other physician’s behaviors, and end of life stuff. I could always narrow it down to 2 but way harder than Uworld ethics questions in my opinion. Other questions I thought were on par with uworld. Didn’t have a problem finishing blocks in time but sometimes wouldn’t have much time to review my flagged ones. There were about 2-3 basic science throwbacks every block from Step 1 days that annoyed me (types of receptors, mechanism of random drugs, histology of tumors, etc), but not enough to make it worth reviewing any basic science stuff.

Day 2:
No stats or ethics. Questions more clinical, a lot of risk factors/ complications/ prognosis/ treatment. Still a good amount of annoying ones though since they ask things like biggest risk factor for CAD and then list a bunch of risk factors for CAD (dm, htn, obestity, hld, smoking, age, etc). But overall seemed more straightforward than day one, and no basic science questions. Was finishing every block 10-15 mins early, with plenty of time to review flagged ones. Question length felt shorter than uworld. CCS cases for the most part ended early for me. About 9-10 of them were straight forward and very similar to uworld ccs. 3-4 of them were harder and didn’t figure out diagnosis til late, one was childhood cancer (I think it was ALL) but heme/onc had no recs and didn’t know how to treat so I just gave steroids and scheduled bone marrow transplant and case ended lol… I’m sure I got a bunch of points off for that. Overall just be methodical about cases and at least get the basic orders in which you learn from doing uworld ccs.

Overall
Get it over with earlier on in the year. It's not the type of test where waiting til later in the year (even when I’m doing an internal medicine prelim year) would help. Know stats, be aware ethics may be hard (although don’t really see how you’d study for it), and don’t let the few basic science qs on day 1 demoralize you. I think uworld x 1 and doing all the CCS cases is more than ample preparation for anyone who didn’t have issues with step 1 or 2. And don’t worry about UWSA (and don’t read into it if you took it and didn’t do well). After the test I felt like I probably got around average (I would have guessed I prob scored around 220-225), but the curve must be very generous. Ended up with 243- in regards to breakdown Ethics/behavioral and ccs were lowest and went a bit into the borderline area, everything else was relatively high end. Goodbye USMLE!

Hi, thank you very much for your in depth experience, i really appreciate it. I have my test tomorrow and I have been really very ocncerned about Step 1 stuff. As im not too strong on that could you explain with what um meant with 'types of receptors, mechanism of random drugs, histology of tumors, etc'. I really don't know how much I can review today but I wouldn't mind reading back some Step 1 one stuff that hopefully I can remember short term. Thanks again

Hi, thank you very much for your in depth experience, i really appreciate it. I have my test tomorrow and I have been really very ocncerned about Step 1 stuff. As im not too strong on that could you explain with what um meant with 'types of receptors, mechanism of random drugs, histology of tumors, etc'. I really don't know how much I can review today but I wouldn't mind reading back some Step 1 one stuff that hopefully I can remember short term. Thanks again

For example, What is the mechanism of action of ropinirole.... that’s what he means. You’re wasting your time but if you must, peek at some of the tables in first aid, maybe you get lucky and have a glycogen storage disorder question that you get right as a result. Won’t impact you overall. Hope it goes well tomorrow!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For example, What is the mechanism of action of ropinerol.... that’s what he means. You’re wasting your time but if you must, peek at some of the tables in first aid, maybe you get lucky and have a glycogen storage disorder question that you get right as a result. Won’t impact you overall. Hope it goes well tomorrow!

Thanks got you. You actually got me worried cause i didn't recognize the drug name then I realized its ropinirole so i felt better lol. So i dont understand people on different forums are like you should know ur FA Step 1 inside out.. A buddy of mine who took it also said that you should know ur basic science (He has 260 and 250) but know your basic science is such a broad statement lol... I guess ill find out tomorrow

Thanks got you. You actually got me worried cause i didn't recognize the drug name then I realized its ropinirole so i felt better lol. So i dont understand people on different forums are like you should know ur FA Step 1 inside out.. A buddy of mine who took it also said that you should know ur basic science (He has 260 and 250) but know your basic science is such a broad statement lol... I guess ill find out tomorrow

Please forgive my poor spelling on that example. Perhaps I gave up 10 points and so sat in the 240’s by paying no attention to basic science, but when working as a full-time resident and with a family, there was no time or need to memorize step 1 material. That much I am confident of. Good luck!

Don’t sweat the basic science. You’re going to have 15 questions like this (2 a block maybe). Don’t let this mentally throw you off for the other 38 questions per block is what I’m getting at.

Don’t sweat the basic science. You’re going to have 15 questions like this (2 a block maybe). Don’t let this mentally throw you off for the other 38 questions per block is what I’m getting at.

For those taking this test in the future, I would say if you have a choice on how best to spend your time for the test, it's always gonna be CCS over basic science or Step 1 material.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for your help. Finished Day 1 was pretty tough, ya 15 questions u were its not a lot but i did have a lot of pathophysio for may conditions. i hope i picked the right answer... For CCS and final suggestions. I have it in 5 days, I did uw ccs all 90 cases before. Do u noe anything about ccscases com? Any special tips to help with the exam?

Thank you for your help. Finished Day 1 was pretty tough, ya 15 questions u were its not a lot but i did have a lot of pathophysio for may conditions. i hope i picked the right answer... For CCS and final suggestions. I have it in 5 days, I did uw ccs all 90 cases before. Do u noe anything about ccscases com? Any special tips to help with the exam?

Great job almost half way done! It was smart to do the CCS cases, i would advocate for continued practice with these. For the bread and butter stuff (inpatient and outpatient asthma/copd, pregnancy checkup, the classic emergency cases like dissection), you want to be as familiar with these as possible. Out of the 13 cases 9-10 will be straight from this stuff. You are going to have a few weird cases that you may or may not know what to do... that’s okay! It is hard to do a new case because CCS is different than real life. In those cases order the standard tests after deciding if they need to be admitted, if they do need admitting, put in the standard inpatient orders, and then in my case I would consult the specialty I thought was most imporant. That always ended the case. Felt terrible on CCS and it was my best score, and I really only put in a couple of orders on the 2 minute screen per case, not the 50 they mention in the practice cases. Good luck, you will do well!

Reactions: 4 users
Great job almost half way done! It was smart to do the CCS cases, i would advocate for continued practice with these. For the bread and butter stuff (inpatient and outpatient asthma/copd, pregnancy checkup, the classic emergency cases like dissection), you want to be as familiar with these as possible. Out of the 13 cases 9-10 will be straight from this stuff. You are going to have a few weird cases that you may or may not know what to do... that’s okay! It is hard to do a new case because CCS is different than real life. In those cases order the standard tests after deciding if they need to be admitted, if they do need admitting, put in the standard inpatient orders, and then in my case I would consult the specialty I thought was most imporant. That always ended the case. Felt terrible on CCS and it was my best score, and I really only put in a couple of orders on the 2 minute screen per case, not the 50 they mention in the practice cases. Good luck, you will do well!

Do you think i can get ur email or number. Have these few stupid doubts and would love to figure them out. THank you so much for your time and help. I really appreciate

I just did UWSA yesterday. I scored +/-3 percent around average in all blocks(2 above 2 below), thought this was an average performance, but only got 196.
The scoring seemed weird, and it was tough(definitely tougher than step 2) and style seemed pretty different from qbank
Finished half of UW bank, 61%avg
Exam in a month.....Also uncertain how to gauge my CCS performance(isnscore chart in UWorld reliable?)
I haven't started residency
Results came out for me tonight at midnight ET. The "step 3 USMLE trick" continues to be valid in my case, but 97% of people pass this exam, so its obviously going to work for almost everyone.

UWSA 188 (3 days before).

Strategy: 1 x pass through uworld with an overall of 69% (half timed full blocks on random at home, half untimed random blocks on tutor mode between patients at work). I just barely finished before day 1, so there was no time for repeating or notecards or the like.

Step 3: 230-240 :)

Impression: Both days felt bad. And not the kind of bad that Step 1 and 2 felt. This was a special hell... one where I, at times, was guessing between 3 or 4 seemingly valid answers. I think I flagged AT LEAST 15-20 of the 38 questions in each block on day 1. Day 2 was slightly better, but only slightly, I still didn't feel great about management because my knowledge is all based off of what I learned in medical school -- and the more intricate or advanced level care questions were foreign to me. Again, marked 10-15 of 30-ish questions per block. There are a handful of WTH questions and material that I know was sitting on some table in FA for step 1 somewhere. That’s okay though, I’m certain I blew those and things still turned out fine.

The step 3 UWSA scared the day lights savings time out of me, and I want to dispel fears for my friends here about that practice exam and for CCS. At least in my case, UWSA was not representative of my abilities and getting the score of 188 was frustrating and made the whole process seem hopeless. Just remember that UWSA doesn’t measure things that well as the content and style are different than on test day. Please don’t beat yourself up or postpone based upon that stupid practice test, Im so thankful I didn’t. For CCS, I did the interactive CCS cases for 3 days in-between day 1 and 2.

I am an intern with no IM/OB/Peds experience as a resident. I felt incredibly uncomfortable and short on knowledge when it came to medical management of some of the most common IM problems (i.e.: I knew the correct answer in a line-up of multiple choice, but had no idea how the heck to work with it from the clinic to the ICU), especially as this was my first month of residency.

I Did not put in thousands of counseling orders on the 2 minute screen (often ran out of time and would only input, for example, smoking or alcohol counseling... as in just that ONE thing), I absolutely did not do well on at least 3-4 of the 13 cases (as in, no great diagnoses or idea of what/where/how to fix the patient, ordered vague labs and broad workup... avoided invasive procedures unless i knew there was no other way... and if in doubt I just ordered the consult to the appropriate service and that fixed the case). I attached my report.

As you can see attached, I scored with a fair distance above borderline performance. This is not a brag, this is hopefully reassuring and an attempt to dispel some of the fear I suspect some people use to promote CCS testing products... I surmise that if you actually do any of this in real life, CCS will be just fine with some practice on UWORLD. It is okay to mess up a few cases ( I did some seriously embarrassing things with patients, but stress and only 4 minutes to do the case will do that to you).

Preparation time: Again, I'm a non-IM intern with no inpatient IM/OB/PEDS or anything else at the resident level. I studied 6pm-10pm on weekdays and from 8-5pm on Saturday(s) for 4 weeks. I used UWORLD MCQ and CCS interactive cases alone (no time to review print-out cases). Stupidly scrambled through CCS Secrets the morning of day 2. This was a mistake because cramming caused me to forget what I had studied on UWORLD. I did not purchase the supplement for statistics, I just spent a couple hours making sure i could calculate all of the equations on the regular set of step 3 uworld. I did not have time to interpret the drug ad pamphlet/question-sets in a meaningful way... usually I would answer the question based on similar real-world drugs that sounded very similar to the "experimental drug" unless it was nitpicky and really required reading. IF it wasn't in the biggest colored picture, or it didn't have a real-world counterpart I could answer based on, I guessed.

Scores on step 1 and step 2 were > 235. Personally, I believe that the forums can sometimes have a neurotic flair to them, and that while the test feels awful... the curve is low. I hope this gives hope to all those who are worried. Frankly, this forum scared me and I wish I would have avoided it altogether.

Best to all!

ALL DONE! :) Praise God.

I just did UWSA yesterday. I scored +/-3 percent around average in all blocks(2 above 2 below), thought this was an average performance, but only got 196.
The scoring seemed weird, and it was tough(definitely tougher than step 2) and style seemed pretty different from qbank
Finished half of UW bank, 61%avg
Exam in a month.....Also uncertain how to gauge my CCS performance(isnscore chart in UWorld reliable?)
I haven't started residency

You did better than me on the UWSA, and you saw my posted score, so take it with a grain of salt but you can imagine I would say go for it. As for CCS, just practice and try to use their answer key as a “template” that you quasi-memorize. You want it as second nature as possible on test day. No one actually knows how CCS is scored except how they detail the process on their website. Don’t use UWORLD to score as much as using it to familiarize yourself with the program and making the workups as second nature as possible — reptition is key there. You’re doing better than me at this rate, you still have 4 weeks. Keep up the hard work and you will do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
You did better than me on the UWSA, and you saw my posted score, so take it with a grain of salt but you can imagine I would say go for it. As for CCS, just practice and try to use their answer key as a “template” that you quasi-memorize. You want it as second nature as possible on test day. No one actually knows how CCS is scored except how they detail the process on their website. Don’t use UWORLD to score as much as using it to familiarize yourself with the program and making the workups as second nature as possible — reptition is key there. You’re doing better than me at this rate, you still have 4 weeks. Keep up the hard work and you will do great.
Thanks for your input

Just got my score back today. Just in general i'm a PGY-1 doing IM, wanted to take it to get it out of the way as most in my program wait until PGY-2 or 3.

I did Uworld for about 2 months in between inpatient, consults, and nights. Average on Uworld ended up being approximately 73%. Annotated and reviewed my notes. I did the biostats product a few days prior to day 1, then did the CCS cases on Uworld in between days 1 and 2.

Day 1 i felt was pretty vague and biostats fairly reasonable
Day 2 I felt was better, still not the easiest. CCS felt very easy and cases always ended early.

Step 3 score was in high 240s. (Step 1 high 240s, step 2 high 260s).

I never ended up doing the UWSA that I purchased.

Hope that helps.

For those of you that have taken the test, would you please comment on if Uworld covers most of the MCQ questions present on the real deal?

I have been going through threads and people mention that the MCQs are "vague"....what does that mean? Does it mean the question stem has less hints, or, does it mean that you did not come across a similar question from uworld?

Just curious because I am not an intern, and I doubt I will know anything outside of uworld content.

Any help is much appreciated!

It means the questions are worded in such a way that there aren’t necessarily as many clues as you get in UWORLD. UW is a teaching tool so they include every symptom in the presentation, the real deal might leave a few out making the first and second most likely dx look more plausible and you will have to determine that the most likely is the right answer. If that makes sense. It’s like step 2 CK was if that helps. UW is sufficient.

Post my stats:
Prepare for step 3 mainly in late 2016 and early 2017, did UW once 55%, some CCS cases, UWSA in Jan 2017=186, thought I cannot take the exam, then just forget about it and enjoy my life. Did not study at all after residency interview. Restarted to prepare step 3 this Oct, studying for 2 weeks, did 10 blocks of UWs around 65-75% and quite stable. Did NBME 4 one week before the test=340, I checked the previous posts here, seems that UWSA underestimate the score by 20, NBME did not have a good correlation to the real score as well. Most people suggested preparing CCS hard. So I spent the last several days only do CCS, I do not think I can improve other parts in a very short period of time.

Real test experience: Day1: I got around 10+ questions asking the same knowledge in statistics, fortunately I knew it. Other questions is not too hard or too easy, just feel the first day is okay. Day2: it is very hard for me, could not finish most of blocks in time and some blocks the questions are too long, maybe I put the two days too close, but I just felt very tired and exhausted during the 2nd days, and guessing through the questions.
CCS: I felt it was the worst part for my exam, I had at least 4 cases I pretty much sure I screwed up. I finished most of my 21 mins cases within 5 mins but running out of time for the 11 min cases. There is only 1 case that I did not know the diagnosis at the end, most of other cases I feel I forget to order some tests. The cases especially 21 min cases all ended in a very strange way. I felt I failed anyway, could not even sit there any more, just want to finish them asap. The real CCS software is much slower than UW CCS cases and is actually quite difficult use, I have better experiences with UW CCS.

Overall,
UWSA=186
NBME 4=340
Real=205~210, my CCS is actually the best.

Anyway, I just need a pass, finally conclude USMLE!
The trick works well.
Hope every one pass this exam!

I just received my score a couple of days ago. Ended up scoring a 207. Got through about 97% of uWorld from July through November. Averaged 57%, which according to the uWorld bell curve was around 20th percentile - not the best confidence booster, but kept pushing forward. Studied CCS cases the weekend before the test and during the day I took off between Day 1 and Day 2. I didn't have time to take the UWSA.

Day 1 was probably the worst. I ran out of time on 4-blocks, forcing me to guess on like 2-5 questions each block. I literally only got the first question right of all the multiple question stems. It was the worst feeling knowing I certainly got those questions wrong - seriously messed with my confidence in real time. Came out of this part of the test feeling like I had failed.

Thankfully, I took a day off in between Day 1 and Day 2, which allowed me to regroup. Day 2 was not bad; didn't have the time crunch issue I had with Day 1. When I got to CCS, most of my 20-minute cases ended around 7-8 minutes into the case. I seemed to run out of time on the 10-minute cases.

Came out of the test feeling like I had failed. In fact, I kept studying after I was done because I feared I would have to retake it. This was probably the most ill-prepared I have ever been for a standardized test, but it turned out ok. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Good f*&@#$& lord this test stressed me out.

Took it as a PGY-III in EM. Probably the biggest tactical error I've made in residency. For anyone in their intern year or before... get this test done as soon as possible. Taking this as an upper level, while bogged down in the job search, and residency responsibilities, and whatever, is absolutely terrible. In addition, something about the specter of failing this thing after coming so far, was seriously anxiety-inducing.

However, if you do take it later in residency (and are in a primary care field), you'll likely do really well. I completely overstudied, ended up w/ > 250 score. My UWORLD avg was low 70s. CCS I didn't spend much time reviewing, as I felt I would be well prepared given my residency experience.

As far as the test goes, I thought day one was incredibly easy. There are tons of gimme-type questions on this test, especially on the first day. Day 2, in contrast, I found exceedingly difficult. There were some seriously tricky management questions that really had no 'right' answer, as far as I'm concerned, and at best you could really only narrow down to two equally-correct options.

Ironically I thought I did really poorly on CCS. My first case I completely overdid, ordered an inappropriate workup and diagnostic procedure that the patient refused. Had 3 others that were so-so. 9 of the cases were easy, although reviewing my management after the fact I wondered if I had boned up the inpatient vs. outpatient decision on a few of them.

Do UWORLD, review CCS. Realize that this has an incredibly high pass rate, and just take the damn thing.

So is it normal to feel like you did ****ty on day 1?

I felt like I was really in between answers on the majority of questions. There were a few derm cases and vague picture cases I felt clueless on. A surprising amount of basic science questions. The biostats were actually a relief because I knew the formulas and definitions well. There were a few drug ads where I honestly spent 5-10 minutes on and couldn't look at the rest of my marked questions because of that. I finished each block with good time probably a good 5-10 minutes and looked over majority of my marked questions but there were a few blocks I couldn't go back and check my answers.

I got 72% on Uworld first pass for probably 85% of all questions. Got a 224 on UWSA. I feel like I probably did okay just based on that but I don't get why I feel like the test was so difficult. It honestly felt harder than Step 2.

I got a 258 Step 1, 270 Step 2, I really don't even care if I get a 196 or whatever the passing score is on Step 3 but damn I just feel ****ty about day 1.

Seriously dude, with a 270 on Step 2 you could've gone in there with your hands tied behind your back and blindfolded and you still will do well.

Seriously no need to worry. Most people don't get as high of a score as a 220+ on uwsa.

For day 2 focus on ccs first and uworld QBank step 3 notes you will be fine.

Seriously dude, with a 270 on Step 2 you could've gone in there with your hands tied behind your back and blindfolded and you still will do well.

Seriously no need to worry. Most people don't get as high of a score as a 220+ on uwsa.

For day 2 focus on ccs first and uworld QBank step 3 notes you will be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I always get stressed out with tests even though it usually works out in the end.

I am a psych PGY2 resident.
Step 1 230 and Step 2 250. Just want to pass.

My study plan:
3 mos, part time (10-20 hrs per week).
Did all of Uworld and all the CCS cases. 70% on UWORLD, untimed, no tutor mode. Practiced entering the orders and going through the motions in the software for each case. Bought the stats review from UWORLD to reteach myself, since stats had never made much sense to me no matter how many times I encountered it. My last week of studying I was on vacation so super-saturated myself with CCS and reviewed my UWORLD and stats notes.
Didn't do any practice exams.

Took exam back to back on Dec 22 and 23. Just wanted it over with. It was hard but overall I'm glad I did it that way.

Day 1: Lots of stats, felt ****ty. About 50% of them were not too bad, at times even slam dunk. As long as a concept was being tested I tended to be comfortable, but when you had to make the chart and calculate stuff that always took time and slowed me down. Drug questions were long and also took time, with some questions easy and some convoluted.

Actual medicine questions I marked 1/3 or so. In some I was like... "this is too easy, am I missing something?" Some I probably couldn't have gotten no matter how much knowledge I had, so made educated guesses.

A handful of WTF step 1 type questions that I couldn't have possibly remembered, but some that I did or almost did. A lot of psych and ethics stuff, which my field maybe helped me with.

Day 2:

MCQ's were actually better than day 1.

Overall CCS was mixed due to some stupid mistakes I think I made... Because I'm a spaz. I think if I fail it will be because of CCS. A lot of the other posts don't go into detail about what "messed up" a case means, and tend to gauge whether things went well based on whether cases ended early or patients improved, but I think that's not the full story. I think what really counts is whether the management is broad enough to cover contingencies without ordering things that are unnecessary and might harm or inconvenience the patient. Which bring me to my worry...

Potential big problems:
1) I tried to intubate a patient early in the game, which got declined. That was patently dumb, because I now know based on googling that you should never intubate on CCS. What was even more dumb is that I tried that again on another case for a different reason, and again got declined. I realize they might ding me but hopefully not enough to fail, because intubation is something invasive and unnecessary that COULD harm the patient but I didn't think that at the time. I thought - holy **** their RR is off the charts and they have AMS. When intubation got declined I ended up proceeding with otherwise appropriate medical treatment.
2) One case the patient was accepted for surgery and then the 2 minute screen came up and I totally blanked on ordering preop stuff.

About half of cases ended early. Not super early though. I overall opted to take my time when I could and be thorough. If I rush I tend to spaz even more. For this reason, in 1-2 cases I entered the definitive treatment into my 2 minutes remaining screen and those patients had been plateauing until then. Most patients improved, no one declined.

Potential small problems:
1) 2 of the cases I knew what was going on but didn't know if there was a treatment except supportive/symptomatic, so I just did that.
2) One outpatient case I ordered too big of a lab workup, but none of it was invasive or costly so hopefully not a problem.
3) A couple times on the outpatient cases I remembered more workup I wanted to do so I made them stay for an hour until it was back before sending home. It's not how the real world works but hopefully not an issue here.
4) One patient was pretty straightforward but had a chronic condition that I wasn't sure if I should address with additional workup for complications. Because of the chronic condition I admitted them to the hospital though could've reasonably done outpatient. The case ended early with the patient improving.

Outside of the stupid intubation attempts everything I did was reasonable, and I made sure to try and get all the low hanging fruit, like various applicable types of counseling, emergency orders and admission orders. Didn't always do all the different types of counseling possible because I thought it would be silly if the patient is still acutely ill or going into surgery at the end of the case, but always at least did general counseling. Maybe I should've done all the counseling all the time?

Basic Modeling:
Went through the online SDN and other online boards and made a file of self-reported scores comparing them to UWorld Averages, NBME Scores, and UWorld Self Assesment Scores (UWSA). USMLE-Rx did their own model I think based on survey for all steps previously (listed here for convience). In all, I was able to collect aprox 130 separate date points including initial first time UW percentages, second time through UW averages, NBMEs, and UWSAs. Not all data was available for all final scores (ie not everyone did an NBME or a UWSA but in no category were there less than 30individual values). Good ranges were seen in all categories, Uworld averages ranged from 50 to 82% for first time through, second time from 63 to 93, UWSAs from 176 to 256, and NBMEs from 280 to 670. All posts from which original data were obtained I only collected from 2014 onward. For simplicty, I stuck to only linear models (except for UWorld Second time through given better model yields and comparatively limited data) though in reality, there's likely some non-linear aspects I don't really feel like nerding out on after just finishing this BS exam. And if you're still reading welcome to the geek club and you should probablly just run your numbers below and get back to studying... anyway...

For UWorld 1st time Percentage to scores:
Estimated Score = (1.685 * UWorld Percent Correct) + 113.2
63% likely yielding Final Score of 219
Estimated Passing with 197 = 50% correct

For UWorld 2nd time Percentage to scores:
Estimated Score = (64.41 * (UWorld Percent Correct ^ 0.2764))
86% likely yielding Final Score of 220
Estimated Passing with 197 = 58%

For USMLE-Rx per their estimates:
Estimated Score = (2.64 * USMLE-Rx Percent Correct) + 47
66% likely yielding Final Score 221
Estimated Passing with 197 = 57%

For NBME to scores:
Estimated Score = (0.099 * NBME Three Digit Score) + 170.31
510 likely yielding Final Score 220
Estimated Passing with 197 = 270

For UWSA to scores:
Estimated Score = (0.418 * UWSA) + 130.44
216 likely yielding Final Score 220
Estimated Passing with 197 = 160

Take Away Points from Model Estimates:
1) If you're consistently scoring above 57% on Uworld, you take an NBME and score over 400, or you have a UWorld Self Assesment score over 190, chances are pretty good you'll pass.
2) UWSA is a decent predictor but vastly underestimates scores. The R2 values for UWSAs was about 50% (ie 50% of the variation form mean was explained by the modeled outcome). That's not bad but given a 173 computes to an actual score of 202, it's more likely to freak people out than be a truly useful estimate of score. This is particularly true of lower but passing scores, once into the 220s, the UWSA seems to be a pretty accurate predictor, but at lower scores, a really bad one.

Important Footnotes (Please read before DMing me with complaints):
1) There's probably at least some "publication bias" here in that people who fail don't seem to be posting their UWorld scores. That potentially makes these equations over-value a score towards passing.
2) It should be noted that there's a difference between assessment tools and teaching tools. In other words UWorld, USMLE-Rx and Qbanks are teaching tools, NBME and UWSA are assessment tools. So technically the two should not be equated but given the UWSA seemingly is not a great predictor, and NBMEs seem to under estimate performance, finding a correlation between knowledge base and score outcomes is seemingly kinda hard.
3) These models don't take into account the reaction or preparation related to a given score. In other words, brilliant people may have awesome UW scores, blow off the exam and do average. Stupid people (me) may do crap but then bust ass and pull out a passing score. To what degree additional studying and preparation play in determining your actual outcome is completely unknown. The only thing according to the data collected here, is that people who seem to do UWorld a Second time appear to have final scores averaging somewhere between 2 and 4 points higher when matched to people who only did it once with similar 1st time scores (big whop right).
4) Per Mark Twain via Benjarmin Disraeli there are three types of lies; Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics. Though all of these models were fairly strong and interestingly consistent across data fields (People with a listed UW average and NBME or UWorld score seemed to get similar close prdicitions from each individual score), they are purely estimates and anyone who even remotely followed the 2016 Election results knows estimates can, on occasion, be way off. Do not message me with smart-aleky stuff, overly critical, or inside baseball stats/modeling stuff, trust me, you win, you're way smarter than I am, I'm only trying to help.

Having run this and my numbers, after several months of prep, I decided screw it and went to take the damn thing.

My Own Experience PASS (210)
My Study Prep: Terrible and historically bad test taker with mid/lower prior step scores. If all of the preceeding discussion seems to display vast amounts of overthinking, you likely have at least some insight into just one of the many reasons why I've always done poorly on exams (E.g; am I supposed to think this hard for the answer? Should I give aspirin before the STEMI guy goes to the cath lab? Am I delaying him from getting to the cath lab if I say give him asprin first, does this question imply I even have access to a cath lab? etc, etc.) Did not take first two years in residency given family issues and working a more malignant residency. 1st time UW average was 53% (yikes), did it again to 68%, then sort of a third to mid 70s though I strangely recalled few of the actual questions each time through (read; again not the smartest guy on the blogs here). I did USMLE-Rx twice, first time 58%, second time 68%, did some Kaplan questions but not many at 68% and completed the Boards Vitals set with 68%. I did all this because I did lousy on a UWSA, 173, and an NBME 260 (shockingly low) after a good two months of studying uworld. For CCS did UWorld cases and then prior to exam did the 100 CCS Cases for Mac/PC. The low scores, extended time from med school and prior steps are the reason for the more effort and studying than you'll likely see here or (hopefully, fingers crossed) is necessary. For Reading material, I did Secrets Book x1, MTB x2, Doctors in Training x1, and made personal notes from Qbanks and that reading/viewing.

Day 1: Standard fair randomness. Stats plays a decent role but was more or less equal to some oddball ethics questions which easily could have been answered multiple ways. I felt ok with the stats having done the UW Stats and made my own notes. The Secrets book has a decent stats section, First Aid can also be helpful for this. I felt far less comfortable with the Step 1 type questions (histology, biochem, etc). I felt ok after the first day, not great, and was largely resigned to failing.

Day 2: I actually felt the multiple choice questions were somewhat harder. The difficulty of additional clinical training is that you start disagreeing with what is likely the right answer and have to continually ask yourself which answer they actually want you to click. I didn't feel good after the multiple choice questions but had planned to try to do better on CCS. I studied hard for the CCS and felt it kinda threw me for a loop. The CCS software is slow and lags (exactly similar to NBME software). I took the approach to do as much as possible with each patient while doing what was stated as necessary (all old folks get a pneumovax, varicella and influenza vaccine and all young women get an hpv vaccine and pap smear sometime later regardless of presentation, anyone with any type of cough gets a sputum gram stain, etc, etc). Because the software is slow, I frequently ran out of time while waiting for the orders to be confirmed after typing them in. I wanted to try to compensate for what I imagined would be poor MCQ performance with a strong CCS showing, but I honestly don't know if this is the right approach or not. If you read Cruch CCS, it seems like all cases have basic criteria you need to meet and that's it. Same more of less with UWorld. The CCS Cases online stressed basically ticking every possibly box possible which is sort of what I shot for so we'll see. If I fail and have to do this again having noticed a lousy CCS score, I'll let you know and won't take this approach again. I certainly had a poor guy I left with an untreated condition which it occurred to me how to fix in the car ride home, and a case of two that ended before the likely diagnostic result came back confirmatory. That makes me nervous but again, well see. In the end.

I feel like this could go either way, I only need to pass, but have a strong suspicion I failed just based on my numbers are soft and how I felt walking out. Can't sleep so writing this :) Will update with my score but had such a horrible time studying for this exam, and obviously used these boards extensively so felt the need to give back. Best of luck, keep in touch.

Last edited:
PGY1 IM resident - got help from prior threads so wanted to post my experience. Personally, I found the first day to be much easier, definitely heavy on biostats etc, and the second day a lot more challenging. 11/13 CCS cases ended early for me though my CCS score was just average so not sure that's a great indication of anything.

Step 1: 250s (~4 months dedicated prep [I went to a true P/F med school so just started early] inc all qbanks (UWorld/USMLERx/Kaplan) x2, FA/pathoma etc, ~5000+ Anki cards with 3-4 hours per day of Anki review, all available NBMEs + all available UWSAs)
Step 2: 250s (~3 weeks dedicated prep inc UWorld x1 + repeat incorrects, ~1000 Anki cards, 2-3 NBME's + UWSA)
Step 3: 230s (1 month sporadic prep while on rotations inc. UWorld x1 (63% correct on first pass), did not redo incorrects, NBME 4 (scored 620 one week out and tapered off my studying quite a bit), did not bother with the UWSA)

Score came in a little lower than I expected but it was hard to find the motivation like I did for prior exams since no one seems to care about this score. I'm just glad to be done with the USMLEs. Good luck to everyone!

A post for some of the low scorers out there!

PGY-1 AMG in a moderately busy TY year.

Step 1 - 214 ~8 weeks of studying
Step 2 - 229 ~10 weeks of studying

Was pretty nervous about studying for Step 3 as I knew intern year would be busy, but I really wanted to get it done in December so that I could focus on beginning to study for my primary specialty and getting involved in some other research projects. I had 12 weeks of floor medicine (65-70 hours), 4 weeks of ICU (80 hours) 2 weeks of nights, and 6 weeks of electives from July until December. I started going over material slowly by doing uWORLD and reading the Medbullets website in June. I personally just like the layout of the medbullets website, and I found they had more information than Master the Boards. I would just chip away at the material doing questions and reading whenever I could when it was quiet on the floors or for an hour or two after I got home. There were some weeks when I definitely didn't get to anything.

About 4 weeks prior to my test, I finished uWORLD except for the statistics part and making notes on it in a google doc. I reviewed my notes from this some. Overall, I found that uWOLRD tended to focus some kind of esoteric details. I think I ended up with 64% on untimed tutor mode, random, but I tried to make it a point to finish each question within 90 seconds or so. I didn't do any statistics until 4 weeks prior when I purchased the uWORLD supplement and reviewed it and did the stat questions in uWORLD. I spent a long time on this because of how much people have stressed about biostats on day 1. The four weeks prior to my test, I also scheduled the lightest rotation possible (3-4 day work week) and would spend 8-10 hours a day studying.

At the four week mark, I also started going over the CCS cases slowly in the uWORLD software. I started with the non interactive cases, and would write out my orders in a separate word document and test myself to see how many orders I would get right. For every three or four non-interactive cases, I would do one interactive case. Generally, if a case seems really complex within the software, its probably more complex than what will show up on the test. I made it through all the cases once prior to day 1. I rented a copy of "Crush CCS, " but ultimately thought it was kind of useless because most of the cases are just the same as what are in the uWORLD software with a handful of additions.

One week prior to the actual test, I took the uWORLD self assessment and scored a 201. I had told myself that as long as I broke 200 I would take the test, but being that close to failing really freaked me out. Over the next few days I reviewed pharmacology just using the pharmacology section from Step 1 with drug mechanisms (not interactions or pharmacokinetics) as well as the drug tables from each section. This was MONEY on day 1. There was quite a bit of pharm on day one of my test and just going through these pages twice netted me some great points. Reviewed incorrects where I could.

I was still pretty freaked out and almost pushed my test date back three months to when I could take it again. Still, I decided to push through and see what happened. Mental preparation was really important!!! I realized the day before my test I had to go into this like how whatever superstar musician/athlete/scientist/whatever thinks going into a huge event. Essentially, Tom Brady doesn't walk into a football game thinking "We're gonna lose." He thinks "We're gonna crush em'," and that's the same attitude I applied towards this test.

Day 1 didn't feel terrible to me. There was one drug ad per block which I consistently saved until last. I finished each block without the drug ad with 10 minutes to spare, and had plenty of time to review incorrects. There were some two part questions where I got the first part wrong, and that does mess with your head some. Don't let it. There were maybe 3-4 biostats questions per block, but none of it was too crazy. Most of it seemed pretty straightforward, and I actually felt I had over-prepared in my approach with it. Honestly, it seemed like there was an equal amount of pharmacology for each biostat question, so really do make sure you prep for that. In addition there was the usual amount of weird ethics questions and a fair smattering of general medicine. I wasn't sure how these questions really differed that much from day 2. I finished feeling reasonably okay about that day.

I had one day off between day one and day 2 which I was really glad for. I had to work part of the day, but reviewed ALL of the uWORLD CCS cases the evening after the test into the next day. This made me feel pretty good, but was only really somewhat useful as far as learning for the exam.

Day 2 felt much longer than Day 1. Day 2 questions are pretty much just like IM/EM shelf questions. Nothing was too surprising. No biostats, no ethics, just a little pharmacology. CCS was way harder than uWORLD and I felt like only 5-6 of my 13 cases really went the way I wanted. I wished I had re-read a copy of casefiles EM as there were some EM Cases on there I had no idea how to manage as I hadn't seen them. Felt like I was guessing, and flying by the seat of my pants quite a bit. Forgot to put in a fair amount of counseling, and only got one case accidentally. Nobody died, but one case never did get better no matter what I did! Walked out of the 2nd day feeling like I could have failed, gotten a 5th percentile score, or scored right where I had on my other exams.

After waiting four weeks (New Years delayed me by a week), I was pleased to see the Step 3 trick still worked! Results out on Wednesday at midnight and.....

225! For the first time on any USMLE I was average!!!! I'm still BEYOND THRILLED!
All stars above borderline on Day 2 mcq and CCS
Most stars borderline Day 1. Whatever....

Parting thoughts

-I reviewed some biochemistry and glycogen storage diseases for Day 1. This was absolutely wasted time. Focus on pharm (it was my highest subject actually).
-I reviewed alot of oncology using medbullets. This was also wasted time. I didn't have one any crazy gyn cancers, bone cancers, breast cancers, AML, ALL, CML, CLL or lymphomas on my exam
-Infectious disease questions seemed pretty basic. Much less intense than what I remember reviewing for my shelf exams.
-Felt like there was alot of general management of a wide number of basic disease. I found that if it the teaching point seemed crazy convoluted in uWORLD, it really didn't show up on the test.
-Don't freak out over the uWORLD self assessment

Message me for any other questions!

A post for some of the low scorers out there!

PGY-1 AMG in a moderately busy TY year.

Step 1 - 214 ~8 weeks of studying
Step 2 - 229 ~10 weeks of studying

Was pretty nervous about studying for Step 3 as I knew intern year would be busy, but I really wanted to get it done in December so that I could focus on beginning to study for my primary specialty and getting involved in some other research projects. I had 12 weeks of floor medicine (65-70 hours), 4 weeks of ICU (80 hours) 2 weeks of nights, and 6 weeks of electives from July until December. I started going over material slowly by doing uWORLD and reading the Medbullets website in June. I personally just like the layout of the medbullets website, and I found they had more information than Master the Boards. I would just chip away at the material doing questions and reading whenever I could when it was quiet on the floors or for an hour or two after I got home. There were some weeks when I definitely didn't get to anything.

About 4 weeks prior to my test, I finished uWORLD except for the statistics part and making notes on it in a google doc. I reviewed my notes from this some. Overall, I found that uWOLRD tended to focus some kind of esoteric details. I think I ended up with 64% on untimed tutor mode, random, but I tried to make it a point to finish each question within 90 seconds or so. I didn't do any statistics until 4 weeks prior when I purchased the uWORLD supplement and reviewed it and did the stat questions in uWORLD. I spent a long time on this because of how much people have stressed about biostats on day 1. The four weeks prior to my test, I also scheduled the lightest rotation possible (3-4 day work week) and would spend 8-10 hours a day studying.

At the four week mark, I also started going over the CCS cases slowly in the uWORLD software. I started with the non interactive cases, and would write out my orders in a separate word document and test myself to see how many orders I would get right. For every three or four non-interactive cases, I would do one interactive case. Generally, if a case seems really complex within the software, its probably more complex than what will show up on the test. I made it through all the cases once prior to day 1. I rented a copy of "Crush CCS, " but ultimately thought it was kind of useless because most of the cases are just the same as what are in the uWORLD software with a handful of additions.

One week prior to the actual test, I took the uWORLD self assessment and scored a 201. I had told myself that as long as I broke 200 I would take the test, but being that close to failing really freaked me out. Over the next few days I reviewed pharmacology just using the pharmacology section from Step 1 with drug mechanisms (not interactions or pharmacokinetics) as well as the drug tables from each section. This was MONEY on day 1. There was quite a bit of pharm on day one of my test and just going through these pages twice netted me some great points. Reviewed incorrects where I could.

I was still pretty freaked out and almost pushed my test date back three months to when I could take it again. Still, I decided to push through and see what happened. Mental preparation was really important!!! I realized the day before my test I had to go into this like how whatever superstar musician/athlete/scientist/whatever thinks going into a huge event. Essentially, Tom Brady doesn't walk into a football game thinking "We're gonna lose." He thinks "We're gonna crush em'," and that's the same attitude I applied towards this test.

Day 1 didn't feel terrible to me. There was one drug ad per block which I consistently saved until last. I finished each block without the drug ad with 10 minutes to spare, and had plenty of time to review incorrects. There were some two part questions where I got the first part wrong, and that does mess with your head some. Don't let it. There were maybe 3-4 biostats questions per block, but none of it was too crazy. Most of it seemed pretty straightforward, and I actually felt I had over-prepared in my approach with it. Honestly, it seemed like there was an equal amount of pharmacology for each biostat question, so really do make sure you prep for that. In addition there was the usual amount of weird ethics questions and a fair smattering of general medicine. I wasn't sure how these questions really differed that much from day 2. I finished feeling reasonably okay about that day.

I had one day off between day one and day 2 which I was really glad for. I had to work part of the day, but reviewed ALL of the uWORLD CCS cases the evening after the test into the next day. This made me feel pretty good, but was only really somewhat useful as far as learning for the exam.

Day 2 felt much longer than Day 1. Day 2 questions are pretty much just like IM/EM shelf questions. Nothing was too surprising. No biostats, no ethics, just a little pharmacology. CCS was way harder than uWORLD and I felt like only 5-6 of my 13 cases really went the way I wanted. I wished I had re-read a copy of casefiles EM as there were some EM Cases on there I had no idea how to manage as I hadn't seen them. Felt like I was guessing, and flying by the seat of my pants quite a bit. Forgot to put in a fair amount of counseling, and only got one case accidentally. Nobody died, but one case never did get better no matter what I did! Walked out of the 2nd day feeling like I could have failed, gotten a 5th percentile score, or scored right where I had on my other exams.

After waiting four weeks (New Years delayed me by a week), I was pleased to see the Step 3 trick still worked! Results out on Wednesday at midnight and.....

225! For the first time on any USMLE I was average!!!! I'm still BEYOND THRILLED!
All stars above borderline on Day 2 mcq and CCS
Most stars borderline Day 1. Whatever....

Parting thoughts

-I reviewed some biochemistry and glycogen storage diseases for Day 1. This was absolutely wasted time. Focus on pharm (it was my highest subject actually).
-I reviewed alot of oncology using medbullets. This was also wasted time. I didn't have one any crazy gyn cancers, bone cancers, breast cancers, AML, ALL, CML, CLL or lymphomas on my exam
-Infectious disease questions seemed pretty basic. Much less intense than what I remember reviewing for my shelf exams.
-Felt like there was alot of general management of a wide number of basic disease. I found that if it the teaching point seemed crazy convoluted in uWORLD, it really didn't show up on the test.
-Don't freak out over the uWORLD self assessment

Message me for any other questions!

Thanks for sharing - it's helpful for holding out for hope while waiting. Just a quick question - did most CCS cases end early for you or continue for most of the time?

Thank you and congratulations on a great score

I am a psych PGY2 resident.
Step 1 230 and Step 2 250. Just want to pass.

My study plan:
3 mos, part time (10-20 hrs per week).
Did all of Uworld and all the CCS cases. 70% on UWORLD, untimed, no tutor mode. Practiced entering the orders and going through the motions in the software for each case. Bought the stats review from UWORLD to reteach myself, since stats had never made much sense to me no matter how many times I encountered it. My last week of studying I was on vacation so super-saturated myself with CCS and reviewed my UWORLD and stats notes.
Didn't do any practice exams.

Took exam back to back on Dec 22 and 23. Just wanted it over with. It was hard but overall I'm glad I did it that way.

Day 1: Lots of stats, felt ****ty. About 50% of them were not too bad, at times even slam dunk. As long as a concept was being tested I tended to be comfortable, but when you had to make the chart and calculate stuff that always took time and slowed me down. Drug questions were long and also took time, with some questions easy and some convoluted.

Actual medicine questions I marked 1/3 or so. In some I was like... "this is too easy, am I missing something?" Some I probably couldn't have gotten no matter how much knowledge I had, so made educated guesses.

A handful of WTF step 1 type questions that I couldn't have possibly remembered, but some that I did or almost did. A lot of psych and ethics stuff, which my field maybe helped me with.

Day 2:

MCQ's were actually better than day 1.

Overall CCS was mixed due to some stupid mistakes I think I made... Because I'm a spaz. I think if I fail it will be because of CCS. A lot of the other posts don't go into detail about what "messed up" a case means, and tend to gauge whether things went well based on whether cases ended early or patients improved, but I think that's not the full story. I think what really counts is whether the management is broad enough to cover contingencies without ordering things that are unnecessary and might harm or inconvenience the patient. Which bring me to my worry...

Potential big problems:
1) I tried to intubate a patient early in the game, which got declined. That was patently dumb, because I now know based on googling that you should never intubate on CCS. What was even more dumb is that I tried that again on another case for a different reason, and again got declined. I realize they might ding me but hopefully not enough to fail, because intubation is something invasive and unnecessary that COULD harm the patient but I didn't think that at the time. I thought - holy **** their RR is off the charts and they have AMS. When intubation got declined I ended up proceeding with otherwise appropriate medical treatment.
2) One case the patient was accepted for surgery and then the 2 minute screen came up and I totally blanked on ordering preop stuff.

About half of cases ended early. Not super early though. I overall opted to take my time when I could and be thorough. If I rush I tend to spaz even more. For this reason, in 1-2 cases I entered the definitive treatment into my 2 minutes remaining screen and those patients had been plateauing until then. Most patients improved, no one declined.

Potential small problems:
1) 2 of the cases I knew what was going on but didn't know if there was a treatment except supportive/symptomatic, so I just did that.
2) One outpatient case I ordered too big of a lab workup, but none of it was invasive or costly so hopefully not a problem.
3) A couple times on the outpatient cases I remembered more workup I wanted to do so I made them stay for an hour until it was back before sending home. It's not how the real world works but hopefully not an issue here.
4) One patient was pretty straightforward but had a chronic condition that I wasn't sure if I should address with additional workup for complications. Because of the chronic condition I admitted them to the hospital though could've reasonably done outpatient. The case ended early with the patient improving.

Outside of the stupid intubation attempts everything I did was reasonable, and I made sure to try and get all the low hanging fruit, like various applicable types of counseling, emergency orders and admission orders. Didn't always do all the different types of counseling possible because I thought it would be silly if the patient is still acutely ill or going into surgery at the end of the case, but always at least did general counseling. Maybe I should've done all the counseling all the time?

UPDATE:

PASSED! 221. Score just got put up.

Sayonara, USMLE!

My only advice to everyone... Review your stats, read through and practice ccs cases, and for goodness sake's DON'T INTUBATE ANYONE!

Lol i hope there isnt a step 4. So what is step 3 for? I thought you only need 2 to get a residency?

Lol i hope there isnt a step 4. So what is step 3 for? I thought you only need 2 to get a residency?
You take step 3 while you're in residency to get your independent license. Some people choose to take step 3 before residency, and some programs require IMGs to take Step 3 before residency.

Until you pass step 3, you have a temporary trainee license and can't do certain things like prescribe controlled substances or bill for your own services, and hence cannot moonlight.

For some people the equivalent of step 4 is boards, but that is specialty specific and not always required.

Went through Uworld once, averaged about 65%. Studied for about 3-4 weeks after work, no hardcore dedicated study time. Did about 20-30% of the CCS cases.

Just got my score report back: 238

Pleasantly surprised and happy to be done with this money grab of a test series forever.

Passed today.

UWorld average: 70%
UWSA: 229
Actual Step 3 score: 250

It’s weird that scores across Steps aren’t really comparable. This is my lowest Step score (Step 1 >260, Step 2 >270) but based on mean and SD my percentile rank is the same across all Steps (95-96 percentile).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Passed today.

UWorld average: 70%
UWSA: 229
Actual Step 3 score: 250

It’s weird that scores across Steps aren’t really comparable. This is my lowest Step score (Step 1 >260, Step 2 >270) but based on mean and SD my percentile rank is the same across all Steps (95-96 percentile).

How did you study for your exam? Like a step score > 270 is unheard of. Mind sharing studying tips?

How did you study for your exam? Like a step score > 270 is unheard of. Mind sharing studying tips?

I mean for Step 3 all I did was go through UW once, reading answers carefully (didn’t take notes or anything) and take the UWSA. Oh and I did the UW CCS cases once too.

I studied pretty hard for Step 2 CK 1 year prior (Nov 2017) so maybe I remembered some of that?

I mean for Step 3 all I did was go through UW once, reading answers carefully (didn’t take notes or anything) and take the UWSA. Oh and I did the UW CCS cases once too.

I studied pretty hard for Step 2 CK 1 year prior (Nov 2017) so maybe I remembered some of that?

Oh i see, and did you use ufap for your step 1 and 2?

I don’t know what UFAP is. For Step 1 I used UW and various books, Pathoma and Sketchy didn’t exist back when I took Step 1. Step 2 I did UW and OnlineMedEd.

Again I studied hard for MS3 NBME exams and Step 2 so that’s probably my biggest reason for success on Step 3. I’m in a surgical specialty and not in IM or anything so most of things about Peds and OB and such I remembered was from over a year ago.

I stalked many threads in the past, but in case this is helpful for anyone.

Psych resident PGY2, us grad
Step 1 230s
Step 2 250s
Step 3 220s
Uworld step 3: 60% average
Went through uworld over 4 weeks on a lighter rotation, most nights and weekends, untimed tutor, 1 time, did not review incorrect. Did not do practice exam, partly due to time, partly due to not wanting to.
Cases mostly crammed weekend before, and on day between test days.
Taking a day off between day 1 and 2 was helpful for me.
So glad to be done! Hope you all find the success you are looking for!

I don’t know what UFAP is. For Step 1 I used UW and various books, Pathoma and Sketchy didn’t exist back when I took Step 1. Step 2 I did UW and OnlineMedEd.

Again I studied hard for MS3 NBME exams and Step 2 so that’s probably my biggest reason for success on Step 3. I’m in a surgical specialty and not in IM or anything so most of things about Peds and OB and such I remembered was from over a year ago.

UFAP - is UW + FA + Pathoma, or are you saying that sketchy is better than FA?

I never used Pathoma or Sketchy. I’m MD PhD so I took Step 1 back when those 2 resources didn’t exist

I never used Pathoma or Sketchy. I’m MD PhD so I took Step 1 back when those 2 resources didn’t exist

Oh I see, I misread what you wrote. All clear now, so what were you studying habits back then? I know you mentioned going through the materials once without taking any notes but how many time did you spend studying per week. Sorry for the dumb question again.

Are you asking about Step 1 or Step 3? Step 1 I did all UW twice and took super detailed notes and read multiple review books in dedicated 6 weeks. Must have studied 16 - 18 hours per day 7 days a week. Step 3 I just went through UW once during intern year rotations for 2 months whenever I could find time (like 1-2 hours per day) and never took notes.

Last edited:
Are you asking about Step 1 or Step 3? Step 1 I did all UW twice and took super detailed notes and read multiple review books in dedicated 6 weeks. Must have studied 16 - 18 hours per day 7 days a week. Step 3 I just went through UW once during intern year rotations for 2 months whenever I could find time (like 1-2 hours per day) and never took notes.

lol 16 - 18 hours per day!!!! DUDE THAT'S insane! Anyway, I will try your plan once in medical school.

Combined Peds/subspecialty resident, PGY-5. US grad.

Step 1: 257, Step 2: 242

Step 3 prep:
USMLE World only
Did about ~60% of qbank (2 weekends, a few hours after work occasionally over 2 weeks). Scored about 67% correct. Block percentages ranges from 52% to 88%.
Did all the CCS interactive cases and skimmed all the review CCS cases. (I think this is an absolute must to familiarize yourself with the interface).

Test:
Overall felt ok. I only cared about passing so even though I knew I wasn't rocking the exam or anything I felt I was getting enough questions to pass.

Score:

So glad it's over... Now I have board certification to look forward to in 9-10 months.

Got result this week
Resources:UWorld(MCQ+CCS), FA Step 3
Statistics:UW 1x completed, 62%
UWSA:196(4wks out)
Free 150 76%(1week out)
NBME: 0
Real deal: 218, borderline CCS(2 x to the left of grey zone). Screwed up one case completely. Uncertain about dx in another. Lots of minor mistakes here and there. MCQs caught up between two choices in tons of qs. Day 1 tons of biostatistics and drug ads.

Thought I'd contribute

Resources: Uworld MCQ and CCS only
Stats: Only did about 15% of Uwolrd questions at 60th percentile (or maybe 66th? can't remember)
Step3 score - 236

I felt really bad walking out of that test (and into it for that matter). There was a lot of biostats, so I'm glad I memorized the formulas for PVP, PVN, ARR, RRR, NNT, SN, SP. I actually had it on my phone, glanced at it before going in, and wrote them down as soon as the first section started. I think I rocked the CCS cases. That's the only way I think my score was as high as it was, b/c the CCS counts for 25% of the score, if I recall correctly.

There were a decent amount of basic science questions. Like there would be a question where someone comes in with chest pain, or dysuria, or something else, you treat them, what is the mechanism of the drug you treat them with? But for the most part, I think if you're good clinically, you'll do well on this exam. Honestly, aside from the biostats, considering I only did 15% of UWorld, I think I would've passed if I hadn't done any uworld other than the CCS cases for practice. And for reference, Step 1 221, step 2 235.

Reactions: 3 users
I appreciate everyone's input in this thread. I have a question regarding preparation for the exam.

I took CK in the spring of 2017, and I'm not a resident. So my clinical knowledge is a bit rusty. Should I repurchase the Step 2 CK Qbank on Uworld and start doing that as a review, or should I go ahead and start with the Step 3 Qbank?

Thanks.