step 3 as an MSIV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob Loblaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a light load before graduation. With all this free time on my hands, I am contemplating taking Step III. How common is this? Anyone else planning to do this? Pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Bob Loblaw said:
I have a light load before graduation. With all this free time on my hands, I am contemplating taking Step III. How common is this? Anyone else planning to do this? Pros and cons?

I didn't know that was possible.

Bob Loblaw said:

Perhaps with all of this free time, you could have researched the requirements for taking Step 3 from the Federation of State Medical Boards (www.fsmb.org):

1. Obtain an M.D. degree (or its equivalent) or a D.O. degree (or its equivalent).
2. Pass both USMLE Steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS).
3. If a graduate of a foreign medical school, obtain certification by the ECFMG or successfully complete a "Fifth Pathway" program.
4. Meet the requirements for taking Step 3 imposed by the individual licensing authority to which you are applying to sit Step 3. (Varies by state, but most states include a minimum postgraduate training requirement as well).

Thanks for the sardonic response.

The guidelines are actually different for different states. Besides, I graduate in early May, which means I could study for the test before graduation and then take the test before internship starts. I've talked to some people that are doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bob Loblaw said:

The guidelines are actually different for different states. Besides, I graduate in early May, which means I could study for the test before graduation and then take the test before internship starts. I've talked to some people that are doing this.

No problem! :laugh:

Seriously,

If you have the time between graduation and internship, AND your state allows it - I say go for it!

I suspect your biggest problem may be scheduling - you likely won't even be able to apply for the test until you graduate, then you have to wait for your application to go through (likely much longer than Steps 1 and 2 since you are going through your state's licensing board instead of the NBME). Once you are finally ready to schedule the test, you will be smack in the middle of your first month of internship!

Either way, good luck....

Bob Loblaw said:

Hi,

I don't know what specialty you are going into but if you are not going into path, let's say, you should not be too hasty about taking the Step 3. It costs about 635.00$ to take it. Also, you don't get to choose the time frame that you can take it. The FMSB chooses for you. But, if you are very eager to get it over with, then by-all-means sign up for it after graduation and take it ASAP even if you have to take 2 days off from internship.

psychedoc2b

psychedoc2b said:
Hi,
Also, you don't get to choose the time frame that you can take it. The FMSB chooses for you.

psychedoc2b

This may be a state-to-state thing too. When I took step 3 I picked an eligibility period (3 months I think) in which I could schedule the exam, just like step 2.

The whole state-by-state eligibility thing is quite a hotbed of misinformation. Here's the scoop: as long as you meet the basic criteria established by a given state, it doesn't matter where or under whose auspices you take Step 3. On the FSMB website, take a look at the state-by-state requirements.. there are several (California and Delaware off the top of my head) that have no additional requirements other than the 3 national req's already referenced in this thread. So, in the case of the OP: graduate in May, register for Step 3 (Delaware), get your admission ticket, schedule your test at Prometric (anywhere convenient.. doesn't have to be DE, your home state, or where you're going to eventually apply for licensure.. it's the same test everywhere!), pass it, and you're DONE WITH USMLE FOREVER. Again, as mentioned above, it ain't cheap to sit for this exam, so make sure you can pass it before you schedule it!

KidDr said:
This may be a state-to-state thing too. When I took step 3 I picked an eligibility period (3 months I think) in which I could schedule the exam, just like step 2.

Once you register with FSMB, there is about a 2 week processing lag before they verify your eligibility and mail you your ticket.. you have a 3 month window period from the time they mail your ticket to schedule and take the exam at Prometric. You can also get an extension to this 3 month period if you have unanticipated developments but it will cost you a bit of $.

This is not a bad idea. I've been contemplating doing this for some time, since I finish all of my rotations/requirements on March 10. Let's see if I can somehow pull off taking Step 3 before residency. It would be sweet to get it over with. :cool:

CANES2006 said:
This is not a bad idea. I've been contemplating doing this for some time, since I finish all of my rotations/requirements on March 10. Let's see if I can somehow pull off taking Step 3 before residency. It would be sweet to get it over with. :cool:
that is awesome! so you're just going to chill for 2 months until graduation in may? :cool:

Taking step 3 before internship might be ideal for me as well.

Does anyone know how difficult the exam is? How much practical clinical knowledge is tested (writing orders, etc)? Would you be at a disadvantage by not having had any internship experience under your belt? I've heard that some of the exam is similar to Step 2, is that accurate?

Just trying to gauge how much preparation would be necessary (if any) to make sure that the exam is passed the first time around(despite not having started internship).

thanks in advance...
trotter

Aubrey said:
Once you register with FSMB, there is about a 2 week processing lag before they verify your eligibility and mail you your ticket.. you have a 3 month window period from the time they mail your ticket to schedule and take the exam at Prometric. You can also get an extension to this 3 month period if you have unanticipated developments but it will cost you a bit of $.

Sorry, you're right, thanks for clarifying. I forgot that I didn't actually pick my 3 month eligibility period.

trotter said:
Taking step 3 before internship might be ideal for me as well.

Does anyone know how difficult the exam is? How much practical clinical knowledge is tested (writing orders, etc)? Would you be at a disadvantage by not having had any internship experience under your belt? I've heard that some of the exam is similar to Step 2, is that accurate?

Just trying to gauge how much preparation would be necessary (if any) to make sure that the exam is passed the first time around(despite not having started internship).

thanks in advance...
trotter

Here's the deal. A lot of people will say that you don't need to study for step 3, and maybe that worked for them, but this thing may be harder than you're anticipating (it was for me). At the very least (because like others mentioned it's an expensive test--and also painfully long--so you don't want to have to take it more than once) take a look at some question books (NMS, others--you can read reviews on amazon.com), maybe a review book (Crush Step 3, others--again read reviews on amazon.com) and play around with the step 3 software provided by the usmle so you can get an idea about the free hand portion of the test (where you work through about 10 patient encounters, reading medical records, "examining" patients, entering orders, making time pass, getting results, seeing what happens based on the orders you enter, and responding to acute medical situations). Then decide if you think you'll be ready to take it. A lot of the multiple choice is pretty similar to step 2, like you said, it just seemed pickier, you know what I mean? I'm sure there's been plenty of people who successfully took it before internship, and it'd be really nice to have it out of the way, so if you think you're ready, go for it.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Kid Dr, much appreciated.

I think I will take it before internship, with a little prep time...

Arsenic810 said:
that is awesome! so you're just going to chill for 2 months until graduation in may? :cool:

Yup. :cool: 8 more weeks of required rotations and I am then done with medical school. :D

CANES2006 said:
Yup. :cool: 8 more weeks of required rotations and I am then done with medical school. :D

I've got you beat :laugh:

My last day of medical school is in 7 days!!

i've got feb, march, april, may june off!!!! can't wait......!!!!!!!!!!!!

you ask how?
We have the ability to take numerous electives during the summer after first year and DURING your third year. ie. toxicology, advanced pharm, ethics, medical spanish etc.....Each counts as a month off elective time during fourth year.

Needless to say i'm done. baby!!

whooo hoooo.

later

don't forget some residency programs will pay for step 3 so don't screw up that benefit by paying for it too early!

12R34Y said:
I've got you beat :laugh:

My last day of medical school is in 7 days!!

i've got feb, march, april, may june off!!!! can't wait......!!!!!!!!!!!!

you ask how?
We have the ability to take numerous electives during the summer after first year and DURING your third year. ie. toxicology, advanced pharm, ethics, medical spanish etc.....Each counts as a month off elective time during fourth year.

Needless to say i'm done. baby!!

whooo hoooo.

later

I'm so jealous. :p ;) That's really awesome. Well, 7 more weeks till March 10 and the end of medical school. :cool:

Arsenic810 said:
sweet :D

so you didnt take any of your vacation time except what was required?

I don't finish until the end of April!!!! but ive had a lot of vacations here and there througout 4th year which has helped break things up! but still!!!!! March would be nice!

about step 3: wow I dont remember any medicine and i'm going into OB and my top choices don't have many medicine months. hmm

oh well !

Arsenic810 said:
sweet :D

so you didnt take any of your vacation time except what was required?

Took 2 weeks off between 3rd and 4th year and 2 weeks off in early December for interviews (they already give us the last 2 weeks of December off).

Does it matter what state you choose to "sponsor" you for Step 3, other than meeting the minimum post-graduate training requirements? It seems that it wouldn't matter, since Florida doesn't sponsor anyone anymore (so these people have to choose a different state) and some states (Maine and Pennsylvania) don't sponsor DOs.

I am learning for Step 3 right now (IMG). [So whatever I write- I have not passed yet :) .]
It seems a bit pickier than Step 2, but I am glad I won't have to learn for it during internship. You will need to learn for at least some weeks, don't believe in the two-day-rule.

Don't spend too much time on the CCS, those cases are easy. Just make sure you know how to handle the software. The software is not that complicated either, just not very realistic. For reassurance I bought the Blueprints CCS Review (77 small pages, easy read) and like it.

I have quite some clinical experience and it does not really help, so I am sure you won't lose anything by taking it now- just multiple choice again.
Just having taken Step 2 is what will help a lot!

You can take it now IN any state via Prometric. You just need to apply in one of the states that allow Step 3 without clinical experience. Read the FSMB information for that.

About the reimbursement- the 9 programs I interviewed with will give me the money for Step 3 cash like they do for everybody else regardless when you took it. You might lose some taxes, though.

Good luck!

NoSz said:
I am learning for Step 3 right now (IMG). [So whatever I write- I have not passed yet :) .]
It seems a bit pickier than Step 2, but I am glad I won't have to learn for it during internship. You will need to learn for at least some weeks, don't believe in the two-day-rule.

Don't spend too much time on the CCS, those cases are easy. Just make sure you know how to handle the software. The software is not that complicated either, just not very realistic. For reassurance I bought the Blueprints CCS Review (77 small pages, easy read) and like it.

I have quite some clinical experience and it does not really help, so I am sure you won't lose anything by taking it now- just multiple choice again.
Just having taken Step 2 is what will help a lot!

You can take it now IN any state via Prometric. You just need to apply in one of the states that allow Step 3 without clinical experience. Read the FSMB information for that.

About the reimbursement- the 9 programs I interviewed with will give me the money for Step 3 cash like they do for everybody else regardless when you took it. You might lose some taxes, though.

Good luck!

if u mean this site: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

then it seems as though all programs require 1 year of residency first, even for US students. am i missing something here? please post the state(s) that don't require 1 year of residency. thanks.

bulldog said:
if u mean this site: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

then it seems as though all programs require 1 year of residency first, even for US students. am i missing something here? please post the state(s) that don't require 1 year of residency. thanks.

No, that's the site for initial medical licensure. Try the following web address: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

I'm going to apply through Connecticut because it requires absolutely no postgraduate training. Just have to wait till after May 13 (graduation date) to apply since my stupid school won't write a letter saying that I have been done with graduation requirements since March 10. :mad:

CANES2006 said:
No, that's the site for initial medical licensure. Try the following web address: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

I'm going to apply through Connecticut because it requires absolutely no postgraduate training. Just have to wait till after May 13 (graduation date) to apply since my stupid school won't write a letter saying that I have been done with graduation requirements since March 10. :mad:

awesome! thanks! hypotheically, can you register for Connecticut now, but end up getting into a residency program in Florida, would it still work? :confused: i.e. u don't do residency in state u registered for.

bulldog said:
awesome! thanks! hypotheically, can you register for Connecticut now, but end up getting into a residency program in Florida, would it still work? :confused: i.e. u don't do residency in state u registered for.

Yes :D

it appears that maryland, texas, louisiana, arkansas, virginia etc... don't require any postgrad training either. Am I reading this right? surely this is not a loop hole.

have you confirmed that if I'm in school in another state and graduate and do residency in another state and have already taken step 3 in between my graduation and start of residency that it will still work?

this doesn't seem possible.

if it IS possible I'm all over it and will begin studying immediately.

later

12R34Y said:
it appears that maryland, texas, louisiana, arkansas, virginia etc... don't require any postgrad training either. Am I reading this right? surely this is not a loop hole.

have you confirmed that if I'm in school in another state and graduate and do residency in another state and have already taken step 3 in between my graduation and start of residency that it will still work?

this doesn't seem possible.

if it IS possible I'm all over it and will begin studying immediately.

later

I haven't called the FSMB myself, however I've read numerous posts on SDN in which people have done this. Besides, the Florida medical board no longer sponsors Step 3, so if I stay in Florida for residency, which I most likely will, I will have to register through another state no matter what. Thus, I will be attending residency in a state that isn't the one I selected for the Step 3 registration. Everyone who attends residency in Florida will have to do this.

CANES2006 said:
I haven't called the FSMB myself, however I've read numerous posts on SDN in which people have done this. Besides, the Florida medical board no longer sponsors Step 3, so if I stay in Florida for residency, which I most likely will, I will have to register through another state no matter what. Thus, I will be attending residency in a state that isn't the one I selected for the Step 3 registration. Everyone who attends residency in Florida will have to do this.

are you planning on calling b/c i'd love to know, just curious.

later

After reading virtually every work on the FSMB site and on the USMLE step3 site. I have determined that you CAN do this.

It specifically says in an FAQ section that you can take step 3 at any prometric testing center in the country (not just in your state).

It also says in the FAQ that you DO NOT have apply through the licensing agency in which you reside. ie if you live in oklahoma you can apply to take step 3 in texas etc....

awesome! i may consider this.

it does say though that you CANNOT apply for step 3 unless you are eligible at the time of application (ie until the day after graduation, b/c one of the requirements is graduation from med school).

later

12R34Y said:
After reading virtually every work on the FSMB site and on the USMLE step3 site. I have determined that you CAN do this.

It specifically says in an FAQ section that you can take step 3 at any prometric testing center in the country (not just in your state).

It also says in the FAQ that you DO NOT have apply through the licensing agency in which you reside. ie if you live in oklahoma you can apply to take step 3 in texas etc....

awesome! i may consider this.

it does say though that you CANNOT apply for step 3 unless you are eligible at the time of application (ie until the day after graduation, b/c one of the requirements is graduation from med school).

later

Applying on May 14 (day after my graduation). I'm gonna get this puppy out of the way. ;)

only problem i'm seeing now is what Drkid said on the first page.....He did NOT get to choose his 3 month eligibility period. that could be a huge problem. agreed?

later

If you don't apply until mid-May, by the time you get your eligibility form and stuff it is unlikely you will be able to pick the TWO (yes, 2) consecutive days that are needed to take step 3 before you have to start residency. Most dates are gone a month in advance, plus you have to remember there is a good chance you will be moving and having training/stuff going on for your program prior to July 1. Many programs start in mid-to-late June with orientation and stuff.

Smurfette said:
If you don't apply until mid-May, by the time you get your eligibility form and stuff it is unlikely you will be able to pick the TWO (yes, 2) consecutive days that are needed to take step 3 before you have to start residency. Most dates are gone a month in advance, plus you have to remember there is a good chance you will be moving and having training/stuff going on for your program prior to July 1. Many programs start in mid-to-late June with orientation and stuff.

2 consecutive days are not a problem. I'm off.

none of the residencies I ranked start before jun 26th.

will long since be moved prior to starting residency (if I move). again i finished medical school last friday.

thanks for the cautions though.

later

12R34Y said:
2 consecutive days are not a problem. I'm off.

none of the residencies I ranked start before jun 26th.

will long since be moved prior to starting residency (if I move). again i finished medical school last friday.

thanks for the cautions though.

later

Ditto. I don't care if I have to take this exam the day before residency even. When I start residency, I only want to focus on my area of specialty. It will be great to have all USMLE exams behind me. :D

CANES2006 said:
Ditto. I don't care if I have to take this exam the day before residency even. When I start residency, I only want to focus on my area of specialty. It will be great to have all USMLE exams behind me. :D

what are you planning on doing about the possiblity of not being able to choose the 3 month eligibility period? i mean what if you can't get the period that includes may, june?

this is my only concern now. I don't want to start pseudo-studying with review text or something only to find out after I apply i can't get the time in june/may.

later

Please post the info, I am in school here in CT and would like to take the step 3 early as well.

Thanks.

The monday after you graduate (assuming you graduate on a weekend) go online and apply to take step 3 (you will need documentation from you med school that you have attained an MD).

I called the Federation of state medical boards and your app will take 1-2 weeks to approve (if you do it online).

YOUR ELIGIBILITY PERIOD BEGINS ON THE DAY THEY CERTIFY YOUR APP. you have 90 days from then (roughly) to schedule with prometric and take your test.

for me this means I'll be able to find a prometric near me and take the test sometime in mid-june.

then done with USMLE FOREVER!!

yippeee.

later

Does anyone know if this applies to COMLEX as well? Also, someone somewhere mentioned that DO's may take either USMLE or COMLEX Step 3 for licensure. Anyone know if this is true? I would probably rather take USMLE if I could.

edit: I may have answered the second question, since the USMLE site says that you must have passed USMLE 1 and 2 to sit for 3 (in other words, you cant take COMLEX 1 and 2 and then USMLE 3...anyone know?)

Idiopathic said:
Does anyone know if this applies to COMLEX as well? Also, someone somewhere mentioned that DO's may take either USMLE or COMLEX Step 3 for licensure. Anyone know if this is true? I would probably rather take USMLE if I could.

edit: I may have answered the second question, since the USMLE site says that you must have passed USMLE 1 and 2 to sit for 3 (in other words, you cant take COMLEX 1 and 2 and then USMLE 3...anyone know?)

no idea about DO's. Only asked for myself basically.

just call the FSMB or your state licensing agency.

later

Idiopathic said:

My understanding is that DOs must take all 3 Complex exams to get licensed. I don't know for sure. I'm not a DO.