Step 2CK question - with a twist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 2CK is really non-applicable to pathology. I only had 2 programs ask when I was taking it. I postponed past Sept so that I wouldn't have to report my Step 2 score. I wouldn't delay too long in taking them, but if you have an excellent Step 1 score, what's the point of point of taking CK early? Step 1 and grades will get you interview offers. I doubt Step 2 would affect your ranking unless you failed it.

I have heard that some fields are starting to ask for step 2 before ranking, so that would explain why your dean tells the whole class to do it. But for pathology, I am not aware of any programs that care. You should ask some PD's just to make sure. I took CK in Feb., CS in April. No problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be non-applicable to pathology but it may relate to ability to obtain an educational limited medical license (or whatever the term is in whatever state you are in). Thus, some may require it so that they don't get the "whoops, I failed" phone call on June 20th.

When I see a residency candidate that is postponing the Step 2s, I know they're gaming and I'm not impressed. Actually I dislike it. Unfortunately, most candidates still seem to think it's a good idea so we don't (can't) discriminate against it.

Dartmouth, University of Vermont, University of Rochester, and East Carolina told me they would not rank without it