Step 2 without OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Didntdoit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on taking Step 2 CK without OB?

I have a 225 on Step 1 with OB dragging me down considerably and am going IM, Neuro, or Psych.

I hate, hate, hate OB and am trying to delay it until the end of my fourth year.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is to turn ob from weakness into a strength at least from a testing perspective. Although as a field it is broad as a med student testing topic it is well circumscribed set of knowledge. Read blueprints do pretest then do the UWorld ob section all in a row x2 if necessary and you will master the info needed to do well on the shelf and step 2.

I'm taking 2CK without having gone through peds or obgyn.

I read the sections in MTB2/3, have looked at Case Files (read ~1/4 of each then jettisoned them) and have done practice questions, but they are still my weakest by a slight margin. But I really don't care about getting ~5-10 points lower like I would have for Step 1 because I just want a prelim year, so I'll just do my best to "IQ" my way through anything I don't know.

I wouldn't take CK w/o any ob/gyn and pediatrics, these two subjects are easily 20-35% of your exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess it depends on where you learn from. I learned nothing from my school for Step 1. Had to do it all on my own. That's why I don't think the actual rotations would make much of a difference.

And also not sure why you're throwing arbitrary/misguiding figures like that. We all know everyone's test is different. Some people have practically no peds/obgyn.