Step 2 trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schiznits

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm presently studying for the Step 2 and was wondering if anyone can tell me what are the recent trends in questions for the Step 2. I know it is computerized so there are a random number of questions for each topic, but I have heard that each year/period has its trends, e.g. I heard that molecular genetics, AIDS and ob/gyn were pretty hot topics. Is this si? Would appreciate any ideas, thoughts, suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This question is tough to answer and the NBME is one organization that's very tough (at least in my opinion) to predict or read. Even if you get some feedback that highlights some of the more recent trends, I wouldn't put much faith in it anyway. The largest topics tend to be the IM subspecialties (Cards, GI, Endo), OB/GYNE, Peds and Psych. You'll hear so many different stories aobut what was tested heavily on so-and-so's test that it's best to be prepared with a well-rounded fund of knowledge!

Definitely Cardio, Cardio and Cardio..
There is a fair amount of Ob-Gyn, Peds and Psych too.