STEP 2 Score Trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerss

MS IV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is my dilema. I scored 213/87 on step one and wanted to improve so I took step 2 and scored 208/85 WORSE! :( I am so bummed. The question is do I release the step 2 score or wait? Will this step 2 score hurt because I did worse than step 1? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait for someone who has experience in your situation to answer BUT I am not sure programs are going to view a REAL statistical difference in the two scores so as to weed you in or out. That being said, keep the score and IF ASKED while on interview say that you have indeed taken STEP2.

Congratualtions on passing Step 2!!!

Passing step 2 was the most important thing....And you did it!!!

Good Job, and good luck.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference is so small, it should not make a difference at all. Your Step 1 score was in the middle, so your Step 2 probably would not help that much unless it was significantly higher than Step 1. It's hard to definice significant, but let's say 230+. Your Steo 2 score probably would not hurt your apps that much unless you failed. It's better, at this stage, to release your scores and let the programs know that you passed than keep it secret.

so here is my dilema. I scored 213/87 on step one and wanted to improve so I took step 2 and scored 208/85 WORSE! :( I am so bummed. The question is do I release the step 2 score or wait? Will this step 2 score hurt because I did worse than step 1? Any advice?

Wait a couple of weeks....if the flow of interviews decrease....then release it....so at least you have 2 passing scores on your boards....

2 passing scores is better to have than just one score.....and a unknown step 2 score.

had a tough time taking step 2 and did not pass...i had a mediocre step 1 and thought i would improve on it. i did not automatically release my pending scores. what should i do now and at interview times? thanks.

I don't think that your Step II score is going to pull you down. You beat 200 and you passed on the first take. Beyond that, Step II is pretty meaningless. Your Step I score is still within range for many solid programs in medicine, path, peds, psych, em,anesthesia and general surgery. You might have an uphill battle if you want high-end academic programs in the above specialties or ortho, derm, opthal, and neurosurgery. Again, the competitive specialties are not out of reach if the rest of your ERAS is excellent (good GPA). If you had scored less than 200, I would advise you to hold the score but 208 is still fairly close to 213 and neither score is "toilet" material. Most people go up on Step II but you stayed the same.

The question is do I release the step 2 score or wait? Will this step 2 score hurt because I did worse than step 1? Any advice?

From what I've heard, you'd be better off releasing your Step 2 scores than holding onto them. It's beneficial for the programs to know that you have already passed Step 2 and, as such, are not a liability in that regard. Your decrease in score was minimal (if not trivial), so you shouldn't be any worse off than you are to begin with. Release your scores and programs will know that you have passed (with a 200+)!

Since the diff is so small, i would release the scores right now. Plus Step scores are in the mid rage too, i meant t o say its not in mid 90's.
Cong on passing step 2.