Step 2 for fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony328

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking step 2 in about 2 weeks and was wondering if i should study my butt off to try and do better than my step 1, or to slack and confortably pass. My only motivation not to do the latter is the fear that average to below average step 2 scores will be scrutinized when I apply for cardiolgy after my intern year.
Does anyone know or have heard if step 2 scores being used to screen applicants to fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

everything counts. but it is taken in context of the rest of your application. if you failed step 1 5 times and then aced step 2 and 3 and have outstanding letters and evaluations then it will be more important than if you have good step 1 scores and above.

like everything else in medicine, you can't get a fellowship with a great score, but you can make it very hard to get with a bad score. it's a lot easier than step 1 imho.

get the rest of your stuff in order. if you can publish an article or present at a national conference it will enhance your application much more than a step 2 score.