Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entirecropslost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously if you didn't do well on step1 you should take step2 early and do very very well, but what if you did fine on step1, 240-250? One ENT told me not to take it early b/c it can only hurt you, but I've heard some people say it was kind of looked down upon if you hadn't taken it, like you were afraid to or something. But the 2 ppl that told me what were from optho, which also makes me wonder if ENT has it's own opinion about step2. Perhaps to get into a top program is there an exception where you really need 2 good scores to be ranked highly? Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I had a high step 1 score (>260) and not one program on the interview trail questioned why I did not take step 2. My advisors (who all trained at big time oto programs) told me not to take it and it would not count negatively against me at all.

I say if you are 250+ on step 1, don't bother with step 2.

Are there any programs that require a step 2 to be ranked? I'm in a dilemma because I have a pretty good step 1 score (256) but I don't know if I'd be able to better on step 2 CK. I do want to apply to some competitive geographic regions like California and new york so if those programs do require step 2, I guess I have no choice but to take it earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any programs that require a step 2 to be ranked? I'm in a dilemma because I have a pretty good step 1 score (256) but I don't know if I'd be able to better on step 2 CK. I do want to apply to some competitive geographic regions like California and new york so if those programs do require step 2, I guess I have no choice but to take it earlier.

UCSF requires step 2CK and CS for ranking. To my knowledge, that is the only program that required it.

I disagree with putting off step 2. It's much easier to study for and people tend to score higher when they take it closer to the end of third year. I scored >260 on step 1 and took CK before 4th year started and scored even better. I also got tons of comments about my CK score on the interview trail. I think it's pretty obvious on the interview when you have a great step 1 score and have yet to take step 2, that you're not confident that you'll do as well. In my opinion, I think that's a cowardly way to approach it. If you're scoring well on the shelf exams then there's probably a significant chance that you will score as well or better than step 1 if you take it early. If not, then maybe you should hold off. Also, the application process is very hectic and if you plan to do away rotations, then step 2 is going to be the last thing you want to worry about. Also, you will still have the option as to whether you want to release your score or not on your application.