Step 2 CK study material for a great score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. Simple question:
What to study to get a really good score in step 2CK & how much time is required?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.. Simple question:
What to study to get a really good score in step 2CK & how much time is required?

This is a really common misperception - there's no silver bullet (UWorld is the closest thing to such). It's all about how you study - your commitment, motivation, dedication and enthusiasm. The sources you use are of secondary importance (provided you cover the basics).

Members don't see this ad :)
Resource: at the minimum UWORLD for Step 2

Last edited:
Simple answer(s):
Harrison+UW
6 Months

Terrible advice - reading Harrison's alone would take the guts of 6 months, plus Harrison's isn't geared towards the USMLE. This is really perplexing advice.

Stick with UWorld and MTB. I used FA for sections that I felt deficient in. Used Kaplan here and there. If you want to be really adventurous, you can supplement with UptoDate.

This is what I did for a 256 but, as with all advice, you can take or leave it - just pick what works best for you. As I mentioned, there's no silver bullet.

EDIT: Furthermore, you do not need 6 months to study for this exam.

Terrible advice - reading Harrison's alone would take the guts of 6 months, plus Harrison's isn't geared towards the USMLE. This is really perplexing advice.

Stick with UWorld and MTB. I used FA for sections that I felt deficient in. Used Kaplan here and there. If you want to be really adventurous, you can supplement with UptoDate.

This is what I did for a 256 but, as with all advice, you can take or leave it - just pick what works best for you. As I mentioned, there's no silver bullet.

EDIT: Furthermore, you do not need 6 months to study for this exam.

yeah I have decided the same. MTB+Kaplan+Uworld

1 month is enough. UW is enough. If you are good at clinicals. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the other guys' advice.

P.S. Another source that's very good if you want to brush up on weak areas in Medicine, have a lot of time and like having a lot of information is Lange Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. It's way overkill for Step II, but I enjoyed reading it from time to time. It's like UptoDate in book format.

Trust me, the hypocrisy of me slamming the Harrison's recommendation and subsequently recommending this book is not lost on me.

P.S. Another source that's very good if you want to brush up on weak areas in Medicine, have a lot of time and like having a lot of information is Lange Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. It's way overkill for Step II, but I enjoyed reading it from time to time. It's like UptoDate in book format.

Trust me, the hypocrisy of me slamming the Harrison's recommendation and subsequently recommending this book is not lost on me.

Ive actually read CMDT (nearly) cover to cover. I think its a much better use of time than Harrisons.

Ive actually read CMDT (nearly) cover to cover. I think its a much better use of time than Harrisons.

It's an excellent book - I plug it at every available opportunity, irrespective of the context.

Have you taken your exam?

I haven't even taken Step I. Taking it this month. I'm an IMG. Not expecting a stellar score on I, but honestly looking forward to II.

With the diligence required to cover CMDT and the knowledge you obtain from reading it, I'd imagine you'll be coming away with very high scores. I'm applying for the match this September (final year med student - IMG), have done Step I, CK and CS and am going to do Step III around October-November of next year. Keep me posted on how you get on - from what I gather from your other posts, you're a US-IMG attending a Caribbean school, correct? When do you plan on applying for the Match?

With the diligence required to cover CMDT and the knowledge you obtain from reading it, I'd imagine you'll be coming away with very high scores. I'm applying for the match this September (final year med student - IMG), have done Step I, CK and CS and am going to do Step III around October-November of next year. Keep me posted on how you get on - from what I gather from your other posts, you're a US-IMG attending a Caribbean school, correct? When do you plan on applying for the Match?

US-IMG, did the full deal in India, licensed over there. Ill apply this Sept, if I can crank all 3 steps out. I have other things lined up (research) so Im not sure yet. Will see after Step I.