Step 2 CK: How much Neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawk22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm coming down the homestretch for my step 2 studying and have a quick question.

I really hate neurology. Its one of my weaker subjects and I haven't taken my 4th year neuro elective yet, so I'm a bit behind in this area.

How much neuro is on Step 2? Is it mostly the big stuff (stroke, headache, meningitis, etc) or do I need to study all the weird obscure stuff too? For those that have taken it recently, how much neuro have people had percentage wise on the test? I'm just trying to prioritize my last week of studying because I've got other weaker areas as well.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to take the exam, but there has been a wide range with regards to the amount of Neuro on the test. I do recall one post where the examinee was surprised by the amount of seizure questions on his/her exam. As you know from Step 1, the Neuro questions can be tough. Also, it does not help that a lot of choices have contra/ipsilateral and left/right, which increases the number of choices. I think the Neuro section in First Aid is pretty strong! I would recommend knowing the "big stuff" you mentioned in your message before proceeding to review the more obscure topics.

Yeah, I really hate all those sided lesion questions.

Neuroscience is by far our worst taught class in medical school at UNC. I guess I've just been putting it off and can't put it off any longer. I've got First Aid and will probalby just focus on that like you said.

Thanks for the advice.

I just took it saturday, and there were not many neuro at all. One pt with a stroke and they made it very obvious were the lesion was and listed choice A-O(of course). And then a few on Alzheimers, Parkinson, Prion, meningitits but they were pretty simple. Nothing on tracts or anything that in depth. Boards and wards has it covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what I wanted to hear LSU!

Any other advice?

Have much peds?

you know questions like this are silly... just go study and do your best. as if LSU writes back 'there was no peds on my exam' ... will you not study peds?

you know questions like this are silly... just go study and do your best. as if LSU writes back 'there was no peds on my exam' ... will you not study peds?

Of course I'll still study peds...I was just asking about general proportions of questions.

I have recently talked to many folks who've reported alot of variability in the percentage of peds questions. Please forgive me for asking anything here..... but thanks for responding to my "silly" question anyway. :rolleyes:

hawk- sorry my post sounded harsh. didn't mean for it to come off like that. truth is- all exams are going to be generated from a pool of questions and will be random. for all you know, you could have an exam with 2 pediatric questions, or 200. good luck - keep studying!!!

p

poloace,

No worries! I guess I'm a bit on edge too as I only have a few days to go. Thanks!

There were quite a few peds questions, most of which were not difficult. Several questions on immunodeficiencies, but the answers would give a description of the diagnosis rather than the diagnosis, which made them a little more tricky.
Nothing out of the ordinary for peds. Ob was was the same, nothing abstract.

I had a lot of neuro and a lot of peds on my version of the exam. I took it almost two months ago and can't remember any specifics, but it seemed as if the Peds questions represented all of the Pediatric Subspecialties. Good luck!

Hey Hawk 22,

I took step 2 today and let me tell you I had a TON of neuro. Actually a good amount of the following:
ob, peds, neuro, and psych. I swear at times I had like an entire block that made me feel like I was sitting for the OB boards or the Psych boards. Anyways, I undersdtand your trepidations w/ studying for neuro, I REALLY like neuro so it wasn't a big deal to study it for me, but I don't think B&W is enough to cover it on this exam. I would take a look at First Aid and also just remember your nerves, like ulnar nerve injuries, neck injuries, brachial plexus stuff. And if you have time read Adams and Victors Principles of Neurology, I think it's about 3000 pages long right? That should cover the neuro ;) (Obviously just kidding about reading Adams and Victors)
OH and I gotta tell you, I was dieing for a stroke question (didn't get any, ok maybe one but not many) instead of a million questions on ob and psychotic episodes.
Hope that helps!

Since it is computerized, each test is different. I felt like mine had a large number of surgery questions. It wasn't really in depth with the neuro, at least not from my perspective. So you can't base your studying on what other people have had. Just make sure to try to figure out what you aren't really good at, and study that some more.