Step 2 CK frustrations - Share yours!! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaphone

bananular
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just venting about my Step 2 CK experience here. After doing thousands of prep questions for Step 2 CK, there still were some things during the actual exam that left me shaking my head.

1. Abundance of Step 1 style questions. "What's the molecular mechanism of disease x, y, z?"

2. Questions asking "next best step in management" that have two entirely valid answer choices that might be different standards of care depending on the hospital/doctor.

3. Media questions. TOo much time spent swapping headphones with earmuffs, readjusting volume sliders/switches so you can actually hear what you need to hear (this was even after the pretest volume calibration...which turned out to be ~6dB too soft from what i actually needed).

4. Shaky computer screen! Imagine your screen shaking every 10 seconds while you're trying to read paragraphs. Whenever the guy next to me, or even two seats down from me wrote on their scratch pad, leaned on their desk, or typed on their keyboards, my own desk and computer screen would shake or vibrate. I had to keep one hand on my monitor to dampen the movement at times. Thanks, Prometric.

5. Graffiti-style dry erase markers!!! Extra-wide tip only... WTF!?!? I'm not trying to tag up my hood, I'm just trying to figure out this dude's serum osmolality and maybe calculate a sensitivity or two. There were no fine-tipped markers available at the test center.

6. Crappy mouse w/ hemiballismus. My cursor tended to unexpectedly jump to the upper left corner of the screen, usually when I was highlighting a passage.

7. Outer layer clothing policy. You cannot put on or remove your outer layer inside the testing room. You have to wait until your quesiton block is over in order to take an official break to dress in layers.

8. No cable-ties policy. There were all kinds of electrical wires on the floor at my feet I had to avoid. I thought I was either going to accidentally yank my power or simply get electrocuted (i.e., "irregular behavior").

9. The dude who's only at the testing center for 30 minutes tops, and his screen's got "-2 < X+5 < 20. What is X?" on it in huge font :laugh:

anyway, feel free to share your Step 2 frustrations.

Members don't see this ad.

3. Media questions. TOo much time spent swapping headphones with earmuffs, readjusting volume sliders/switches so you can actually hear what you need to hear (this was even after the pretest volume calibration...which turned out to be ~6dB too soft from what i actually needed).
This must be new since even last summer. What kinds of crap did you have to listen to for questions?

2. Questions asking "next best step in management" that have two entirely valid answer choices that might be different standards of care depending on the hospital/doctor.

that makes me go crazy. i hate it when one answer is slightly better just because you can save a few dollars or some crap. i dunno

Members don't see this ad :)
This must be new since even last summer. What kinds of crap did you have to listen to for questions?

Heart sounds and breathing sounds mostly. I recall this because on my last block, I did 45/46 questions, because for some reason, I hadn't scrolled down to the very bottom of the question number bar on the left side. With a minute left to go, I decide to enjoy the last minute and just be like "Ahhhh, finally, done" and I was idly playing with the mouse which caused question window bar to scroll to the bottom, and where was a red colored question number at the bottom and I was like "Oh Crap!!!", and to make things worse it was a multimedia question (The second of two multimedia questions I had on my exam), so I was quickly trying to change the headphones and by the time everything was in place, there was only like 20 seconds left and the clip was slow to load, so I just went with one of the answers. I just guessed that MR was the most likely heart sound in a 25 year old woman :p

The USMLE Step 2CK has incorporated multimedia (sound and video) since at least Summer 2007.

I liked it, it was cute, especially being able to move my stethoscope around :).

Maybe one day we can use technology to rid ourselves of SPs and do virtual reality CS :smuggrin:

bananaphone: so sorry for you! My test center rocked (complete with comfy chairs and a break room with a fridge and microwave, magazines, etc), the only inconvenience was hearing the girl next to me write some essay. Fortunately, she was only there for a few hours. I also only got a few molecular mechanism questions.

I know! Part of what UW had to teach me was the textbook answer, as opposed to what my attendings and residents had taught me ;)