Step 2 basics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people generally use to study for Step 2? For step 1 there was the standard stuff: Qbank, First Aid, BRS review phys and path (at least at my school it seems that is what most used, myself included).

What about for step 2? I am just now starting to think about studying. I got Qbank (not doing so great so far) and Crush Step 2. Are these any good?

Members don't see this ad.

would someone who has taken step 2 please respond to this post? it would be greatly appreciated:)

The vast majority of people use USMLEworld as the Qbank (and it's really solid). Most use some sort of review (Boards and Wards is popular at my school, others use Crush/Secrets for step 2 (basically the same book in different formats--secrets is question/answer, crush is more like FA), or FA for step 2. The best way to prepare for step2 is to study hard during 3rd year and prepare well for the shelf exams. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLEworld and QBank are different question banks. QBank is authored by Kaplan, while USMLEworld is authored by recent USMLE examinees. The general consensus (at least on these forums, from what I've read) is that USMLEworld(UW) is a better question source than QBank, though QBank does have its supporters as well.
In addition to a question source, most people read review books. The more common ones include FA, Crush/Secrets(which are basically the same) and Boards and Wards. I am not familiar with B&W, but I think FA is much better than Crush/Secrets, which are severely lacking in detail. Many posts indicate that thorough review of a question pool and a review book should be enough to land a solid score.

And if you're taking comlex step 2, in addition to a question bank and First Aid/Secrets, do Savarese.