Step 15th application date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind, my application will be incomplete for the step 15 date. I will not have my step 2 ck score and will not be ecfmg certified until 2 months into the match or so (middle of october) . Should I apply on Step 15 with an incomplete app?
Will I get any categorical intervierws for Gen Surg?
Maybe at low tier community programs?

Or should I apply late in Oct and early November when my app is complete?
Will I get any categorical interviews if I applied in November or are programs usually done giving out interviews by then?

Or should I just apply late this year for a decent prelim spot and then try my luck with categorical next year?

Any advice on how I should go about this would be appreciated.

US-IMG
Step 1-high 220's
Step 2cs- Pass 1st attempt
Step 2ck-will take in Step
Decent Letters of Rec from Surgical attendings
I am not ECFMG certififed may take 1-2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting until November will likely result in very few interviews. I'm not sure if this is the case now, but in the past most surgery programs had a November 1 deadline for application submission (some were mid October).

Moving to Application forum.

Any advice on how I should approach this then? Just for the late prelim , or give step 15 a shot?

And BTW can you apply for prelim after the match and scramble if you landed nothing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on how I should approach this then? Just for the late prelim , or give step 15 a shot?

And BTW can you apply for prelim after the match and scramble if you landed nothing?

If by scramble you mean SOAP, yes, you can SOAP a prelim position after the match. However, in order to be eligible to SOAP you must have applied to at least one program during the regular application season. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Well what I'm thinking is then apply during the match, for categorical depending on what happens or not

I probably won't apply prelim until the SOAP since I don't want to be locked up to a prelim spot as I will also will try for categorical during the SOAP and if not that then just go with the prelim from the scramble,

Last year there were 5-7 spots left open in the SOAP for categorical Gen surg can anyone comment on how competitive these spots are, after all there leftovers

Well what I'm thinking is then apply during the match, for categorical depending on what happens or not

I probably won't apply prelim until the SOAP since I don't want to be locked up to a prelim spot as I will also will try for categorical during the SOAP and if not that then just go with the prelim from the scramble,

Last year there were 5-7 spots left open in the SOAP for categorical Gen surg can anyone comment on how competitive these spots are, after all there leftovers

The rumors last year were that no one even reviewed IMG apps during the SOAP.

http://thescurlockscene.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-match-soap-reality-of-being-img.html