ECFMG certificate required at application vs. before start date for GS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wasn't sure where to post this issue. My dilemma is which match to apply for. I graduate May 2015. The question is whether to apply for 2015 match or 2016 match. The issue is many, many programs list "ECFMG certificate" as a requirement to apply. This seems nuts to me because that means someone has to be AT LEAST 1 year out of school because if the match is in March, and you graduate in May/June how can you have your ECFM certificate ready the previous September for ERAS if you need your diploma to get the certificate?
What I'm asking is do programs that list this as a requirement also consider having all the exams for ECFMG certification and a graduation date before July 1, an equivalent to the actual piece of paper that says you are ECFM certified? I just don't want to apply the fall before I graduate and basically be thrown out of PD's searches based on the fact that my ECFM certification is "pending" because I haven't yet graduated (neither has all of the US students who apply each fall in their 4th year).
Maybe some of the IMG's who applied DURING their final year can say whether they ran into this issue? Did anyone find they lost out on interviews because their ECFMG certificate was pending?

Members don't see this ad.

It's as simple as you said:
- you either get filtered out in many programs during the app screening process
- or you apply next year

For GS specifically, I know plenty of IMGs who matched, against the odds. None of them/us applied straight after med school- we all spent some time doing miscellaneous things (research, observerships, other electives) in the US before we applied. GS is very competitive, especially for IMGs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: