step 1 cutoff for transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultane123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, another "what are my chances question".... (esp for those that have been through the process)... i have a Step 1 227, top 10 med school, mix of H and HP.... do i even have a shot a transitional year programs? any suggestions for maximizing my chances. unfortunately, i cant take Step 2 until later in the spring (post-match) because of scheduling reasons.

thanks for your help! and good luck to everyone who is applying!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, another "what are my chances question".... (esp for those that have been through the process)... i have a Step 1 227, top 10 med school, mix of H and HP.... do i even have a shot a transitional year programs? any suggestions for maximizing my chances. unfortunately, i cant take Step 2 until later in the spring (post-match) because of scheduling reasons.

????????????????????????????????

i'm just curious whether someone with <230 step 1 has a shot at transitional year programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm just curious whether someone with <230 step 1 has a shot at transitional year programs?

good lord--transitional years aren't THAT competitive. Apply to a few prelim meds if you're that concerned. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Are you kidding??? Transitional-year programs are probably less competitive than any kind of categorical program.

my impression was that TY were the most competitive, considering the number of people from derm, rads, optho, anesthesia competing for these slots. any thoughts?

According to the NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match, the median Step 1 for matched seniors for Transitional Year programs was between 230-240. The mean was slightly lower at 229. I can't tell you what your chances are since I haven't gone through the match yet, but those look like some pretty competitive numbers to me.

I have also heard that Transitional Year programs were competitive due to their chill nature. I know 3 people who are doing their TY at various programs in Chicago and they all love it. They don't work nearly as much as other interns and the nature of the job is a lot less stressful. I know a guy who's doing Prelim Medicine at a large county hospital on the east coast and he is just getting slammed. He's working well over 80 hr/wk as a categorical medicine intern while TY interns generally work less.

Anyway, if you don't have this PDF, it's great: http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

According to the NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match, the median Step 1 for matched seniors for Transitional Year programs was between 230-240. The mean was slightly lower at 229. I can't tell you what your chances are since I haven't gone through the match yet, but those look like some pretty competitive numbers to me.

I have also heard that Transitional Year programs were competitive due to their chill nature. I know 3 people who are doing their TY at various programs in Chicago and they all love it. They don't work nearly as much as other interns and the nature of the job is a lot less stressful. I know a guy who's doing Prelim Medicine at a large county hospital on the east coast and he is just getting slammed. He's working well over 80 hr/wk as a categorical medicine intern while TY interns generally work less.

Anyway, if you don't have this PDF, it's great: http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess they're competitive because the people trying to get into competitive residencies like derm or ortho are also trying to get into a transitional-year program. For them, its probably a cush way to complete the required internship before their desired residency.

Yes, they are more competitive, and although cut off are usually not mentioned, they are more numerically driven than categorical programs. They know they have you for one year only. Find out where people from your school have matched in TY, that might give you a starting list of places to consider. Additionally, if you are set on having a TY, apply broadly. The way to offset the 227 is by getting more interviews under your belt, increasing the odds you'll match.

I guess along these lines...

as someone who's applying for ophthal, applying for TY and probably some prelim medicine (more as backups in desirable locations). I really don't have a gauge on how many places to apply, d/t TY overall desirable nature.

Anyone who's been through this before or is currently in the trenches some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and before it's asked---I have no geographic or personal constraints on places to apply (which makes myself and the others I know in a similar boat quite different from the current residents, whom are all married or had geographic constraints)

Thanks for any help!!

Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge regarding competition for prelim IM? Is the competition similar to categorical IM or similar to TY?

Prelim medicine had a fill rate of 92.8% in 2007, compared to 98.4% for categorial IM and 95% for TY. Despite this similarity, TY programs tend to be more competitive, as suggested by the greater proportion of US grads matching into a TY (86.7%) compared to categorical (55.9%) or prelim IM (79.1%).

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2007.pdf

I have a low step 1 <215 and landed two trans interviews so far=). I think it depends on your entire profile (good letters, ps, ect..).

A really high Median with a significantly lower mean implies that many of the spots (>50%) are being filled by high level candidates with MANY remaining spots being taken by people with MUCH lower numbers. If the median is over 230 and the mean is under, that means that for every 260 candidate that takes a spot, a 200 or less has to get one too.

Generally TY programs are much, much more competitive than prelim year programs.