Step 1 <230 - when did you take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peedr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who scored <230 on step 1 and matched uro- when did you take step 2? I'm currently an MS3 at an excellent US med school, mid-220s step 1, 4/6 honors in 3rd year, relatively strong research. I've been debating when to take step 2. My options are June, Aug, Sept, or Oct. I'd have a better shot at interviews if I take it early and do well, but I'm worried I'll somehow blow it... I'm signed up for a home urology rotation in July and was tentatively planning to do an away in Aug, Sept, or both. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who scored <230 on step 1 and matched uro- when did you take step 2? I'm currently an MS3 at an excellent US med school, mid-220s step 1, 4/6 honors in 3rd year, relatively strong research. I've been debating when to take step 2. My options are June, Aug, Sept, or Oct. I'd have a better shot at interviews if I take it early and do well, but I'm worried I'll somehow blow it... I'm signed up for a home urology rotation in July and was tentatively planning to do an away in Aug, Sept, or both. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks SDN.

Take it in second half of August. Before that scores will be back when you submit your application and therefore automatically get submitted. Make sure not to check off auto reporting. If you blow it out of the water, you can report it right away and it might help your chances. If you do so so, don't report it, and your step I will be the only thing that shows. It benefits you to take it early and do great with your low step I, but a low step 2 could devastate your already tenuous app. This way you get the possible benefit without the risk.

Take it in second half of August. Before that scores will be back when you submit your application and therefore automatically get submitted. Make sure not to check off auto reporting. If you blow it out of the water, you can report it right away and it might help your chances. If you do so so, don't report it, and your step I will be the only thing that shows. It benefits you to take it early and do great with your low step I, but a low step 2 could devastate your already tenuous app. This way you get the possible benefit without the risk.

I don't think the auto reporting option is there anymore. I certainly did not see it when I took it last year. I believe everything gets reported now, but don't quote me on it.

I don't think the auto reporting option is there anymore. I certainly did not see it when I took it last year. I believe everything gets reported now, but don't quote me on it.
It's an option in ERAS, not when you take Step 2. The option was still there this cycle. Basically, when you submit your ERAS, it pulls ALL of your USMLE scores into the application. If your Step 2 CK scores have not been released when you submit your ERAS they will not be incorporated in your application. If you later want them to be a part of your application, you have to go back into ERAS and re-release them (you re-release all of your scores.)