when did urology become so competitive??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooze

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm wondering was urology always so competitive to get into given its lifestyle and limited spots across the country or did something in particular make it suddenly very very competitive in the last few years or so??

Members don't see this ad.

so i'm wondering was urology always so competitive to get into given its lifestyle and limited spots across the country or did something in particular make it suddenly very very competitive in the last few years or so??

It used to be much worse... in like 2005-2006, the match rate was 67% (77% for US seniors).

I think the competitive match is due to a combination of a) urology being work that people enjoy, b) lifestyle and mix of medicine + surgery, and c) the # of residency spots is difficult to expand (though very much needed), especially in small fields like urology.

There are actual numbers to look at: http://www.auanet.org/content/residency/residency-match.cfm#statistics. I don't see anything that I would call "suddenly very very competitive" or "used to be much worse" in these numbers. Year to year fluctuations and overall trend are not particularly exciting.

If you neglect 2012 data points (which I hadn't seen), it looks like the overall match rate used to be much worse (70% of US seniors matching in 2009 with an increase to 86% in 2011). But your point is well-taken, and the year-to-year fluctuation is clearly huge in a small field like urology.